Mendenhall Comparison...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mendenhall Comparison...

Since the combine there has been this weird buzz that the Bengals were seriously interested in Rashard Mendenhall with that #9 pick. Doesn't make sense at first, given that the Bengals have Rudi Johnson, Kenny Watson, Chris Perry and they just drafted Kenny Irons.

2007 was an awful year for Rudi. He lost weight to try and get more speed, but it backfired. He was getting nowhere. It looked like he had lost a step or two. Then he got struck by the injury bug. He could be a June 1st cut since he is making big money.

Common sense tells you that the Bengals would go defense at #9, but something just doesn't feel right. I think the pick will have many Bengal fans shocked. Picking a RB would do that.

Adam Schefter reported on NFL Total Access tonight (3/25) that the Bengals have lined up a private workout with Rashard, which isn't going to help matters.

I've tried looking at some old threads, but I can't really find too many people that have talked about him. What kind of player is he? Id like to hear some feedback from people that have seen him a few times.

A quicker and less crazy Priest Holmes
    my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
    <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
    <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
    <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
    Originally posted by Hermstheman83
    What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

think deuce mcallister...thats what i see when i look at him. Same build, same type of back.

as to your situation, i called RB to cincy a while back in my 2nd mock. Except i had them taking jonathon stewart, because i thought he would put up some crazy combine numbers. Which he did. but his toe surgery will undoubtedly knock him down a bit. Therefore, i think mendenhall is the pick.

and as for rudi, i never thought he was anything special. I always thought he was kind of overrated...i mean, look at the passing attack that was opening things up, and he ran behind willie anderson, levi jones, and eric steinbach.
      Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
      The APS is strong in this one.
      Originally posted by killxswitch
      Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
        think deuce mcallister...thats what i see when i look at him. Same build, same type of back.

as to your situation, i called RB to cincy a while back in my 2nd mock. Except i had them taking jonathon stewart, because i thought he would put up some crazy combine numbers. Which he did. but his toe surgery will undoubtedly knock him down a bit. Therefore, i think mendenhall is the pick.

and as for rudi, i never thought he was anything special. I always thought he was kind of overrated...i mean, look at the passing attack that was opening things up, and he ran behind willie anderson, levi jones, and eric steinbach.

yea i agree with that, and when i first said it people said i was an idiot, nice to know im not the only idiot on this forum.

His running style which is somewhat upright and he is mostly power with some moves makes me draw comparisons to deuce and the body similarities just make it closer.

Comment

I could see it, but they really need to address defense.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Comment

I agree. But I don't want them to take a defensive player just to take one. If Ellis and Dorsey are off the board, Id rather them take a guy that'll make an impact.

Is he a better prospect than Marshawn Lynch was coming out this time last year?

Comment

I see a lot of Steven Jackson in him. Similar size/build, runs with some power and elusiveness/cuts, good receiver, etc.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

I don't see the Deuce comparison. I think of a shiftier version of Ronnie Brown.
                The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                  I don't see the Deuce comparison. I think of a shiftier version of Ronnie Brown.
                  I like that comparison a lot actually. I definitely agree he's not like Deuce as well.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by MooshooGawd View Post
                    I agree. But I don't want them to take a defensive player just to take one. If Ellis and Dorsey are off the board, Id rather them take a guy that'll make an impact.

Is he a better prospect than Marshawn Lynch was coming out this time last year?
                    It's an intriguing debate. I myself would lean to Lynch, who I believe is the smoother runner of the two, for lack of a better word right now. That said, there are those that would argue that Mendenhall has more power than Lynch, which will serve him better in the pros.

As for a comparison, there's a lot of possibilities out there. One that I'm inclined to think is a more athletic Corey Dillon (and a couple inches shorter). The above are all solid comparisons as well. Shaun Alexander is another thought.

As for the Bengals, well, it is quite intriguing. RB definitely has to be a consideration, with Rudi's physical concerns, plus his contract. Add in Watson being more of a backup (and he's not exactly young), along with Perry and Irons maladies, plus the lack of many power back options, and certainly RB at 9 has always been in the discussion. I think the DT's would rate first, though, if value is there. Granted, I know the history, as it's been several years now where people suggested DT would get a look. Furthermore, the team is high on Fanene. That said, if a top 2 guy is there, and Ellis has a decent shot of being there, I'm hardpressed to think they wouldn't go that route, unless said player has some physical concerns. Whether or not they would deal up is a bit debatable, though. There's still some buzz on DE, despite signing Odom and having Geathers. Personally, I think it's more likely they wait. The other thought, besides RB, would be LB, although it's more debatable than some think if Rivers merits it here, and moreover, LB is a position that can be addressed later.

Comment

Originally posted by etk View Post
                      I like that comparison a lot actually. I definitely agree he's not like Deuce as well.
                      watch them on youtube one after another, there are some similarities

Comment

He looks more like the edge from the southern U of M, THE U

Thanks to Gang Green for the SIG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpbXXPOgR2w

Comment

I like the Deuce McAllister comparison, pre ACL injuries that is. Remember, Deuce was very fast for his size.
                          Virginia Tech.
                          ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Mendenhall is the closest thing I've seen to Ricky Williams in more than a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
                              I like the Deuce McAllister comparison, pre ACL injuries that is. Remember, Deuce was very fast for his size.
                              pretty sure deuce ran a 4.41 pre-draft that year...i could be wrong. Anyways, after wathcing mendenhall extensively, thats the best comparison i could come up with. Although i do see some of the other comparisons, IE steven jackson as well.
                              Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                              The APS is strong in this one.
                              Originally posted by killxswitch
                              Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information