No announcement yet.

Can Brandon Albert play OT in the NFL?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Brandon Albert play OT in the NFL?

Scott's scouting report has this as a possibility and based on his frame and athletic ability I think he could. He may have the second best feet in the draft behind Chris Williams. I know he will probably begin as a Guard, but can he transition out to tackle in the future?

Sorry about the spelling error in title. Correction - Branden Albert

can but shouldn't. It's the same thing as with Leonard Davis IMO, great guard, not so great tackle. Tackles move inside but that road is one-way traffic.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
    don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

I agree with Addict. He should be considered a Guard.

BoneKrusher

Comment

ya he could but i think it would be a mistake to move him there. Hes a natural at guard and it would be wasted talent if you moved him to OT. Hes average at OT but great at G.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder&Lightning View Post
          ya he could but i think it would be a mistake to move him there. Hes a natural at guard and it would be wasted talent if you moved him to OT. Hes average at OT but great at G.
          exactly. He's a first-round guard and maybe a late second round tackle, if that.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
          don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

anyone taking him as a G outside of the top 20 picks is getting one hell of a guard. could be a good anchor on the inside of the line for a good long while

now, i wouldnt touch him in the first if my plan was to move him straight to tackle. but, if he plays G for a few years in the league and suddenly you find yourself in need of a good guard, i think he could be moved there.

but to draft him as a tackle is pretty foolish IMO

Comment

I think he can. I really like the way this guy blocks laterally. He's smooth and uses his hands really well. Now, is he the sort of tackle who will flat out dominate his man? Probably not. But in a scheme that takes advantage of his mobility and ability to block once he gets to the next level (zone blocking), he might even be able to play left tackle.

I don't like the Leonard Davis comparison, because Davis is pretty heavy footed and cartoonishly massive, while Albert is very athletic and quick and has a great frame for offensive tackle.

Comment

Can he? Well, sure. In fact, his skillset, as I've been arguing, is better suited for tackle than guard. I'll go a step further than you jnew. His footwork is better than Chris Williams, and arguably the best in the draft out of the OL options, and when you add in his long arms and his technical prowess, it's an intriguing fit. The reason why Albert's rise initially surprised me was simple. As a guard, he lacks top end in line run blocking ability, and while a good athlete, Albert isn't a great athlete.

That said, if you project Albert as a tackle, then his rise makes sense. The problem is, it'll take some time. Or will it? There seems to be a feeling that Albert's play at tackle this past year graded out better than when he was at guard, and he graded out very well at guard. Personally, I think you'll need to give Albert a year or two before placing high expectations, but with talk that 5 OL guys could potentially be off before 15, there might be the feeling that Albert can step in sooner than later.

Comment

how do yall think he could do in a ZBS like houston with alex gibbs coming in? you say his run blocking isnt dominant, which it isnt, but he's mobile and athletic and the ZBS should somewhat hide his weaknesses in the run game. he's got the tools to be a good pass blocker with his feet and long arms at 35+ inches.

Comment

Albert would be fine as a zone blocker. In a zone system, I could see him adapting to OT much quicker if it was asked of him.

Btw, just to be clear, what I am saying is that he's not a dominant in-line run blocker. He's very good in space.

Comment

It should be noted he originally was to start at LT if not for the young guy there and possibly future first rounder Eugene Monroe and before him Ferguson. So to answer your question yes he can play LT and I actually believe he should because he grades out much better imo.

Comment

Actually, he was never slated for it 619. At least, not that I know of in following UVA, as Monroe and Albert came in the same year (with albert off of pg). Monroe was always the long range LT. The original plan was to get Albert on the field at guard and eventually move him to RT. With the development of Barker the following season, they felt comfortable with the Monroe/Albert tag team on the left side and left it as such.

Comment

Yea, he can...but I wouldn't unless he had to...i.e. injury, what not...

He reminds me of Maurice Williams...was a good tackle but very good guard...

Comment

I was watching NFLN and Charles Davis mentioned something along those lines when talking to Virginia's OL coach. Then again I'd have to watch it again to reaffirm the statement but I'm very sure that's what I heard.

Comment

First - Thanks to all who gave their input.

The reason I asked this question was because I was working on my mock draft and came to pick #18 for the Texans and thought that Albert was the best value on the board and thought he could play multiple positions along the line and fit the system well.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information