Kentwan Blamer Vs. Dre Moore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kentwan Blamer Vs. Dre Moore

You'll often see mock drafts where the Chargers are selecting Defensive Tackle Kentwan Balmer with the 27th overall pick. On one hand, I'm glad people realize the Chargers need to address depth along the defensive line. But at the same time, I wonder why Balmer is rated so highly - a sure fire first rounder - and yet a very similar type of player in Dre Moore is rated so low.

Lets compare the two and get a closer look at their similarities:

DT Kentwan Blamer - 6'4" 308lbs

Junior and Senior Seasons
    2006 GP: 10 TKL: 16 TFL: 2.5 SCK: 2.5
    2007 GP: 12 TKL: 59 TFL: 9.5 SCK: 3.5

Combine Stats:
    40 Yrd Dash: 5.29
    20 Yrd Dash: 3.04
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.71
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 33
    Vertical Jump: 29

Broad Jump: 08'07"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.82
    3-Cone Drill: 7.65

DT Dre Moore - 6'4" 305lbs

Junior and Senior Seasons
    2006 GP: 13 TKL: 47 TFL: 7.5 SCK: 3.5
    2007 GP: 13 TKL: 63 TFL: 8.5 SCK: 6.0

Combine Stats:
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.84
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.70
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.62

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 31
    Vertical Jump: 28
    Broad Jump: 08'09"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.55
    3-Cone Drill: 7.73

So let me get this straight...Dre Moore is just as big and strong as Kentwan Balmer but also quicker and faster. Moore had a better college career statistically and yet he is rated far lower than Balmer is almost every draft publication and website. And to top it all off, they played in the same conference! I'm sorry, but I just don't understand why Moore doesn't get the love he deserves. In a draft class that isn't particularly deep at defensive tackle, I rate Moore as the third best DT... right behind Sedrick Ellis and Glenn Dorsey.
    Last edited by BoltHype; 03-28-2008, 12:23 AM.

Personally, I don't think the Chargers will ever make a pick in round 1 considering they don't pick again until the 5th if I am not mistaken. I think you have a very good argument with regards with the statistical analysis and athletic comparisons and I have never been as high on Balmer as many of the people on TV. I think that sentiment is shared predominantly on this board.

I think that the Chargers will trade down with someone who wants to secure the services of say Brian Brohm.

Comment

Ive liked Moore alot too (Maryland fan) so i like that you brought this to light

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Moore is a great physical specimen and a great athlete for his size but as we all know great measurables and awesome workout numbers do not make a great player. Moore is no different if he does not play more consistant then he will be a bust. Most people that follow the draft know that Dre Moore can play but it's about how often is he going to give all out effort which is what he must due in order to do well in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by ChezPower4 View Post
          Moore is a great physical specimen and a great athlete for his size but as we all know great measurables and awesome workout numbers do not make a great player. Moore is no different if he does not play more consistant then he will be a bust. Most people that follow the draft know that Dre Moore can play but it's about how often is he going to give all out effort which is what he must due in order to do well in the NFL.
          consistency is the same knock on Balmer and yet Moore has been consistently improving over the past two seasons whereas Balmer only had one good year, and then didn't go at the Senior Bowl AND skipped his team's pro day....

Comment

I think we should be comparing Laws and Balmer....I think Moore sneaks into the second round but both Balmer and Laws could go in the 1st...

Comment

Originally posted by JagHombre22 View Post
              I think we should be comparing Laws and Balmer....I think Moore sneaks into the second round but both Balmer and Laws could go in the 1st...
              Chargers drafting Trevor Laws to play in a 34 defense would be like drafting Early Doucett to play QB.

Comment

Marcus Harrison>Dre Moore and Kentwan Balmer.
                "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by energizerbunny View Post
                  Chargers drafting Trevor Laws to play in a 34 defense would be like drafting Early Doucett to play QB.
                  Trevor Laws was easily the best thing about that Notre Dame defense and it's shift to the 3-4. His skillset is that of an defensive tackle, but he did a really bang-up job playing defensive end on that defense last season.

Comment

Dre Moore is rated right where he should be.

The problem is that Kentwan Balmer is massively overrated

Comment

That doesn't make any sense. Laws played end in a 3-4 defense as a senior and was outstanding. He could easily fit in a 34 at the next level.
                      Scott Wright, President
                      Draft Countdown.com
                      www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                      www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                        That doesn't make any sense. Laws played end in a 3-4 defense as a senior and was outstanding. He could easily fit in a 34 at the next level.

Comment

The old Laws debate reminds me of a dearly departed board member.

Anyhow, I don't think they are rated that differently. From around 20-60, you have a lot of guys that grade fairly closely.

So, why do people give the edge to Balmer over Moore? Personally, I'm not a fan of Moore. I think the reason Balmer is getting the advantage is

a) Frame potential - He can probably play at 320 and not lose much of his current athletic ability.

b) More consistent senior season - while Moore improved in consistency, he still was off and on a bit.

c) More polished - Balmer's considered to be technically better along with better recognition

There's a couple more comments that can be made, but the gist of it comes down to a belief that Balmer is more ready to help next year.

Btw, I don't think the Chargers need 3-4 DE depth. You resigned Bingham and there's also Cesaire. A backup 3-4 NT could be a consideration, although secondary and OT should rank higher than that, in my opinion. Even then, there's Brandon McKinney there.

Comment

Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
                            a) Frame potential - He can probably play at 320 and not lose much of his current athletic ability.

But how likely is it that he gains 20 pounds?
                            I pretty much remember the knock on Dre Moore being production, well he was pretty productive this year

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
                              Dre Moore is rated right where he should be.

The problem is that Kentwan Balmer is massively overrated
                              Agreed 100%. Balmer scares the crap out of me. I can see why scouts like him but he just screams boom/bust and I think he will bust.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information