Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Player fooling somebody

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Another Player fooling somebody

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ers/index.html

    Every year, there are a handful of players who's STOPWATCH times and/or weightbench reps amazingly FOOL the scouts or GMs and make them forget about the player's ACTUAL PERFORMACE in the FOOTBALL FIELD against fellow PLAYERS.

    Justin King sounds like this year's Mike Mamula. If my Packers are fooled into taking him over, say, Mike Jenkins or Antoine Cason, I will puke.

    King has been building a buzz since the combine and continued the momentum through his pro-day more than a week ago. He ran in the low 4.3s at the combine then looked outstanding in position drills during his individual workout. King comes off a disappointing junior season and was graded as a third rounder after he declared for the draft. Scouts are rethinking that opinion as King's combination of athleticism, intelligence (he graduated from PSU early) as well as his high character now has him on the verge of breaking into in the first round.

  • #2
    uhm do you have a person actually saying this quote? Do you have a link to this knowledge? Because #1 i doubt that Mike Jenkins will fall to you, #2 There is a good chance that Green Bay could get King in the 2nd round

    Comment


    • #3
      Yea. well at least King was projected as a 3rd rounder at least. Chris Henry cracked mid-second round when he shouldn't have been touched before the sixth.

      Comment


      • #4
        To suggest that King is Mamula is somewhat off iin that, well, Mamula's top workout wasn't necessarily expected, whereas everyone knew Justin King was physically gifted. To me, that implies that scouts are reevaluating his junior year while also looking at his sophomore year. While I agree he shouldn't go first, there is some feeling that he's in that late first-mid 2nd range. Now, one thing to keep in mind is that there's a bunch from, say, 20-60 that's graded fairly closely right now. One other note is that the evaluation committee is considered conservative unless you are a top talent (and even then, witness the 2nd round grade given to Gholston.)

        Btw, the chances of Mike Jenkins falling to late first is very iffy. the early 20's? certainly possible. Late first? Don't see it. He could still go in the top 16.

        Comment


        • #5
          I provided the link already in the initial post.

          Mel Kiper mentioned a guy like a Mike Jenkins falling to Green Bay in his Packers on the Clock a week or so ago..... he's not psychic either, but neither are we.
          Plenty of Guys go way higher and lower than they should.

          Nobody knew that Randy Moss would last til pick 20-something. Nobody knew that Thurman Thomas would slide out of round 1. Nobody knew 5 other QBs would be taken before Dan Marino, etc......

          I'll take Cason if Jenkins is gone though.....Cason never had a bad year like King did. Kind got torched by a lot worse WRs then he will be seeing on Sundays. Speed doesn't mean everything. Look up Ahmad Carroll, our former first round bust, taken because of his physical skills, not his cover ability.

          Comment


          • #6
            king is still loaded with upside though. he may lack experience and technique, but he relies on his natural gifts which means that once he does learn the proper technique, he could be very good. he's got prototypical size at 5'11 190lbs and top level speed. you have to remember, not every player coming out of the draft is a finished product yet. he's somewhat of a project, but its worth the risk IMO as a 2nd rounder to take him.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by foozball View Post
              king is still loaded with upside though. he may lack experience and technique, but he relies on his natural gifts which means that once he does learn the proper technique, he could be very good. he's got prototypical size at 5'11 190lbs and top level speed. you have to remember, not every player coming out of the draft is a finished product yet. he's somewhat of a project, but its worth the risk IMO as a 2nd rounder to take him.

              Agreed.... I'd be okay with him in the 2nd round, which we have TWO of.
              But if a guy doesn't know how to cover by now, I don't hold out hope that he'll figure it out in the NFL, especially from our DB coach who sucks. Kurt Schottenheimer is the guy.

              Comment


              • #8
                Being a PSU fan and watching every game since his junior year, i know that Justin King can be a good player in this league. He has all of the tools to be great. People complain because he didnt have a great junior year, but they tend to forget that he was hurt almost the WHOLE year with a shoulder injury that really affected his play. If you want to see Justin at his best, look at his sophomore game film. He shut down everyone he went against including Robert Meachem, Ted Ginn, and a few other pretty good receivers. King will be a good player, with a little coaching. PSU plays a soft zone almost every down and king is a corner that needs to play man to man. So all he needs is some coaching. The kid is smart and has good work ethic so i personally think he will be fine in the NFL. That might seem a little homerish but oh well, he can be good.

                BoneKrusher

                360 GT: iiidiiiot
                Go AC Gators! 7-3 (4-2)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
                  uhm do you have a person actually saying this quote? Do you have a link to this knowledge? Because #1 i doubt that Mike Jenkins will fall to you, #2 There is a good chance that Green Bay could get King in the 2nd round
                  Never liked King. I'll be pissed if we draft him



                  Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Santonio10 View Post
                    Being a PSU fan and watching every game since his junior year, i know that Justin King can be a good player in this league. He has all of the tools to be great. People complain because he didnt have a great junior year, but they tend to forget that he was hurt almost the WHOLE year with a shoulder injury that really affected his play. If you want to see Justin at his best, look at his sophomore game film. He shut down everyone he went against including Robert Meachem, Ted Ginn, and a few other pretty good receivers. King will be a good player, with a little coaching. PSU plays a soft zone almost every down and king is a corner that needs to play man to man. So all he needs is some coaching. The kid is smart and has good work ethic so i personally think he will be fine in the NFL. That might seem a little homerish but oh well, he can be good.
                    That's what we play in Green Bay BABY, man to man press coverage, clutch and grab, maul and assault, mug and molest until the zebras are out of flags.......... give me the fast King in round 2 then, and let me take the best OL in round one.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have actually been a fan of King for a while and even had him ranked ahead of Brandon Flowers pre-Combine.

                      Remember, the NFL is very cautious with their underclassmen projections so if they told him 3rd round that probably means at least 2nd. Now I certainly wouldn't take him in the first round but I have no problems with him in round two, maybe even early in round two. The guy has the physical tools of a Top 10 overall pick and I firmly believe that had he gone back for his senior year he would have been a first round pick and in the mix to be the top corner chosen in '09.
                      Scott Wright, President
                      Draft Countdown.com
                      www.draftcountdown.com

                      Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

                      Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                      www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Personally, I wouldn't touch King at all, but I've seen too many quick corners get lost trying to cover at the NFL level (one of the perks of being a Raider fan). I was never very impressed with King at Penn State, and I actually thought he did a better job playing wide receiver as a freshman than any stint where I got to see him play corner.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                          I have actually been a fan of King for a while and even had him ranked ahead of Brandon Flowers pre-Combine.

                          Remember, the NFL is very cautious with their underclassmen projections so if they told him 3rd round that probably means at least 2nd. Now I certainly wouldn't take him in the first round but I have no problems with him in round two, maybe even early in round two. The guy has the physical tools of a Top 10 overall pick and I firmly believe that had he gone back for his senior year he would have been a first round pick and in the mix to be the top corner chosen in '09.
                          -From the CHIEF !
                          Okay Scott, slide him to the Packers pick from Cleveland then, in round two, and give us the best OL at pick #30.
                          We'll take the best available tight end with our 3rd pick, late in round two.

                          King can learn from Al Harris, and be ready a year or two down the line..... while Will Blackmon keeps getting hurt.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Here is another video of a prospect who will definitely fool a bunch of teams:

                            Try to guess who it is by the video...

                            http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU


                            Originally posted by Halsey
                            I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Turtlepower View Post
                              Here is another video of a prospect who will definitely fool a bunch of teams:

                              Try to guess who it is by the video...

                              http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU
                              Ethan Albright?
                              Oh wait, Matt Ryan


                              Damn i got rick rolled



                              Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information