No announcement yet.

CORNERBACKS: anymore shutdown corners?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CORNERBACKS: anymore shutdown corners?

Is there a true "shutdown" corner in this draft? I don't see one.
    In fact, I don't see any left in the NFL.

Champ Bailey? http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d803bc832
    This was the Packers #3 or #4 WR, rookie, James Jones. Speed is supposed to be Jones' weakness.

DeAngelo Hall? No way.
    My own Charles Woodson and Al Harris? Uh uh.
    Asante Samuel or Nate Clements? Nope. They just gamble a lot and get their share of big plays. But they allow too many to be considered 'shut down' corners. Nsmadi in Oakland? No he's not a shutdown corner. He's a solid corner in his system, but he's not a shutdown.

Deion Sanders WAS a shut down corner.

THAT BEING SAID, who are the best TRUE COVER CORNERS in this draft?
    Forget their supposed return skills as punt and or kick returns. I just want cover ability, plus run support.

Here's how I rank them, but in all honesty, I have never seen a full game from Troy University so my judgment of McKelvin might be off, based on hype and highlights, and also Croamartie. ESPN didn't show too many Tennessee State games.

#1- Mike Jenkins
    #2- Antoine Cason
    #3- Leodis McKelvin
    #4- Dominique Wilkins-Rodgers-Cromartie
    #5- Brandon Flowers
    #6- Aqib Talib

Anyone here ever actually see any FULL GAMES of all these guys?

Remember, Al Harris, who finally made the Pro Bowl this year after gettin screwed the previous year (and THIS season he didn't deserve it as much as last year), took a few YEARS to even become a starter. He didn't start in Philly and it took a trade to Green Bay for him to get his chance. Maybe a guy like Justin King CAN LEARN how to man-up, but I don't see it yet.

Leodis McKelvin is a true shutdown corner with a fluid backpedal and burst to close on the ball. He's not physical and has poor ball skills but he can stay with anyone in coverage.

DRC has shutdown potential with his athletic ability.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

and i thought i used to make a lot of threads...

Comment

Of course you're not going to find a 'shutdown' corner in this draft if you don't think there's a shutdown corner in the entire NFL. Still I think all the prospects you mentioned should become solid NFL starters.

Sig by Eaglez.Fan

Comment

With the pass happy league its hard to have a shut down corner. And no one had speed like PRIME TIME. He could gamble and still catch up with his speed as if he made no mistake.

Comment

Rashean Mathis.

... I kid. He has a way to go with his coverage skills. He is one of the best ballhawks in the league, last season notwithstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by etk View Post
              Leodis McKelvin is a true shutdown corner with a fluid backpedal and burst to close on the ball. He's not physical and has poor ball skills but he can stay with anyone in coverage.

DRC has shutdown potential with his athletic ability.
              I agree with that, McKelvin can probably stick with anybody in a man scheme, doesnt mean he wont get beat by a wr who runs really good routes but he has the best chance out of this draft along with DRC.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

A solid corner in his system?You obviously havent watched Nnamdi play.
                "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Nmandi was the definition of shutdown last season

Comment

Nate Clements in buffalo was a shutdown CB in all but one year

Comment

With the whole 5 yard no jam rule, there's no such thing as a shutdown corner anymore. Anybody is beatable.

Comment

Originally posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
                        With the whole 5 yard no jam rule, there's no such thing as a shutdown corner anymore. Anybody is beatable.
                        TRUE statement.
                        That has a lot to do with things in today's NFL.

Plus the other guy was right, Prime Time was special. There are not anymore Deion Sanders around......

Comment

Thanks to the NFL putting rules in place to make it a lot easier for a WR to get open and the passing game to develop in this day and age (b/c more points in games means more viewers, which equals better ratings and more money)...and therefore true shutdown corners in the NFL are a thing of the past. But there's still really great corners who are as close to shutdown Deion Sanders corners now in the NFL like Bailey and then the 2nd tier guys below him.

Comment

Good job having Talib last (not sarcasm)

Really i think that there might be one or two shutdown corners in the league right now, Deion Sanders was just amazing, but you don't have to be as good as that to be considered shutdown IMO.

Nmandi was shutdown, when you only allow 9 catches and one of them was ridiculous (Reggie Wayne) in an entire season, you are shutdown. He gets average safety help and goes against great AFC WRs along with their QBs.
                            You could see a good corner let up 9 catches in ONE GAME. but in 16 games thats really unheard of.

Hall isnt bad, he could be considered shutdown, but in reality its borderline. I think he has good potential to become one though.

Comment

Just a quick homer note on Champ Bailey getting burned deep that way. He was more vulnerable deep this past year than any year in his career because he was basically playing OLB for Denver. Because the front seven was so bad against the run Champ and Bly both ended up having to hold the edge against the run which made both of them late getting back sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information