Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the dolphins draft board is set

http://dolphinsindepth.blogspot.com/...-start-of.html

so according to that, they have it down to exactly who they want with the first overall pick.

this paragraph is the one of particular interest:

2. The Dolphins draft board is set. It was set last week. That means the Dolphins already know who they are going to draft if they cannot trade out of that No. 1 overall pick. They desperately want to trade out of that pick. By the way, don't ask me who they would pick because I've asked and the person I asked laughed at me.
    so now they talk to the guys at the very top and throw some possible deals around them, see who might be willing to accept the most favorable one.

which got me thinking, if they got a deal in place, would they sign the player? i know theyre allowed to....or would they just hang on in case a trade were to come up? how would it affect the rest of the draft if they locked their guy in?

and has it ever happened that the team with the #1 overall pick signed their guy? im pretty sure the texans did with carr, but they were an expansion team...any non-expansion team do it?
    Last edited by BeerBaron; 03-31-2008, 10:14 PM.

Jeff George was signed, sealed and delivered well before Draft Day I believe...
    Scott Wright, President
    Draft Countdown.com
    www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
    www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Interesting. I wonder if anything actually comes of this.
      my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
      <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
      <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
      <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
      Originally posted by Hermstheman83
      What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

They are going to take it right down to the wire hoping for a deal, guaranteed. Unless they can make a trade in the days leading up to April 26 that is.

Here is my read on it if they get stuck at #1:

Jake Long: 55%
        Chris Long: 45%
        Scott Wright, President
        Draft Countdown.com
        www.draftcountdown.com

Comment

Jeff Ireland supposedly said that he could draft for need early. There is a good case for offensive tackle as their biggest need. I have it down to Jake Long, Chris Long or Vernon Gholston. I'm not buying the Ryan talk at all.

Comment

wasn't Mario Williams signed before the draft?

Comment

really?

you think they'd go OT over DE?

Interesting....

Comment

i just dont know if a 34 DE calls for #1 overall pick money. a possible franchise tackle on the other hand might...

they have to give it to someone so they might as well pay a guy more worth it i think

Comment

Here is why I think Jake Long gets the edge for Miami:

1) Offensive Tackle is a bigger need

2) It makes more financial sense to invest $30+ million guaranteed in an OT

3) They already have two good 3-4 OLB's in Jason Taylor (at least for the time being) and Joey Porter plus they signed Reggie Torbor and Charlie Anderson.

4) You can get 3-4 pass rushing 'tweeners later in the draft, i.e. Quentin Groves, Cliff Avril, Marcus Howard, Bruce Davis, Shawn Crable, Bryan Smith, Curtis Johnson, etc.
                  Scott Wright, President
                  Draft Countdown.com
                  www.draftcountdown.com

Comment

Nobody is going to trade up to #1, unless the Dolphins package it with $20 Million in straight cash, homie.

If the NFL put a limit on the maximum contract that Rookies can get, there would be more trading at the top of the draft..

Comment

mario williams was signed either 2 days or the night before the draft i believe

i think they go with Jake Long if they stay

Comment

Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
                        Nobody is going to trade up to #1, unless the Dolphins package it with $20 Million in straight cash, homie.

If the NFL put a limit on the maximum contract that Rookies can get, there would be more trading at the top of the draft.
                        i would love to see that happen. maybe not a limit, but at least put a scale in place of how much each pick can get maximum. it would be up to the player/team to negotiate how that money is put to use, but it would give them a set figure to work with.

and if its a lower number than what the rookies are getting now (which it had damn well better be if they go through the trouble of putting it in) then it means theres more money available for the vets on the roster, which should make the players union go wild for it.

why it doesnt happen is beyond me...probably because its one of those things that just makes too much sense to ever happen...and yes, things like that do exist

Comment

I dont think they have to worry about giving up that top pick, no one is in a big hurry to pay that much money up front, and there isnt that type of talent in this draft...If Calvin Johnson had went back in school, now I could buy alot of teams wanting to try and move up to make it happen, or a franchise qb, but Miami will be picking their so they might as well try to negotiate some figures behind closed doors.

Although for some reason I wouldnt want to announce it early even if we did work out a contract, I would still want to give the Rams as much to think about as possible as well as other teams.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                            i would love to see that happen. maybe not a limit, but at least put a scale in place of how much each pick can get maximum. it would be up to the player/team to negotiate how that money is put to use, but it would give them a set figure to work with.

and if its a lower number than what the rookies are getting now (which it had damn well better be if they go through the trouble of putting it in) then it means theres more money available for the vets on the roster, which should make the players union go wild for it.

why it doesnt happen is beyond me...probably because its one of those things that just makes too much sense to ever happen...and yes, things like that do exist
                            Actually, the Player's Union would oppose it strenously. The rookie salaries drive up every position's pay, without the rookies receiving big money, you would soon see a situation like in basebal, where only the super stars get the bulk of the big salaries while the rest play for peanuts by professional sport's standards.
                            For instance if LB's and DLmen dominate the top 10 in this year's draft, every player in the NFL who plays those positions will benefit as it definitely impacts franchising $$$$ and is used by agents to get their veterans higher contracts. The vast majority of NFL veterans aren't super stars and like the system just the way it is.
                            I doubt you'll ever get the Player's Union to agree to it and I actually think the NFL loves it as well.
                            And proud of it!!!

Comment

It's going to be Chris Long or Vernon Gholston, guaranteed. Forget about Jake, he won't be the pick.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information