Donny Avery has a "lights out" workout according to Gil Brandt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donny Avery has a "lights out" workout according to Gil Brandt

Eighteen NFL teams sent representatives to Houston to see WR Donnie Avery's workout. "He was unable to participate in the school's pro day two weeks ago while nursing a right hamstring injury." Avery, caught passes "from former Texas Tech QB B.J. Symons, ran indoors on Astroturf, and he had a workout that can best be described as "lights out"…

WR Donnie Avery (5-11 1/8, 182): Ran the 40 in 4.35 and 4.34, had a 37 ½-inch vertical jump, 10-foot, 6-inch long jump, 3.91 short shuttle, 6.30 cone drill, ran position drills.

Now, those are exceptional fast times.
    And proud of it!!!

Call me crazy, but I'd take Avery over DeSean Jackson every day.

Comment

Depends what your taking him as. As a return man DeSean Jackson is clearly more gifted. Avery comes from that dangerous offense at Houston that never really requires a receiver to run NFL style routes, but rather mostly screens and a slant from time to time. I'll still take Jackson, as I think he is both more polished as a receiver and a naturally more talented Kick/Punt Returner. However, from an upside perspective, Avery could have the edge with superior speed and quickness in addition to being roughly an inch taller and 10 pounds heavier.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
      - For daily NFL draft coverage:
      www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
        hell i would take eddie royal over jackson as well. i think jackson is one of the most overrated prospects this year.
        Drink apple juice, cause OJ will kill you.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
          Uhh...you are crazy.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
            Uhh...you are crazy.
            i second that. if you think DeSean is overrated, you haven't seen him. i actually think he;s underrated
            When rookie Howie Long took a breather for one play in 1981, Hendricks called a time out and told his puzzled teammates, "I miss Howie."

Comment

Dexter Jackson FTW

Comment

Wouldn't mind Avery at all in the 4th, not any sooner though, even though i like him very much as a prospect, we have other needs.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Comment

If you got him in the fourth I think that would be a big steal.

Comment

I believe that is the best 3 cone drill time I have ever heard of (6.30).
                    10 Favourite prospects for 2010: Colt McCoy, Dez Bryant, Golden Tate, Noel Devine, Ndamukong Suh, Greg Hardy, Eric Norwood, Travis Lewis, Eric Berry, Trevard Lindley

Comment

He is going to go higher than people think. I don't see him getting out of the 2nd round.
                      Scott Wright, President
                      Draft Countdown.com
                      www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                      www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                        He is going to go higher than people think. I don't see him getting out of the 2nd round.
                        I watched Path to the Draft on NFLN the other day and they had a Tampa writer/insider on who kept talking about Avery possibly going to the Bucs in the first round. I almost fell out of my chair when the guy said "Look for the Bucs to target a WR...like Donny Avery"

Comment

Some J*ck*ss for the Eagles said that, and I find that nearly impossible to beleive, I do see him going in the second though, like Scott said.
                          Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by metafour View Post
                            I watched Path to the Draft on NFLN the other day and they had a Tampa writer/insider on who kept talking about Avery possibly going to the Bucs in the first round. I almost fell out of my chair when the guy said "Look for the Bucs to target a WR...like Donny Avery"
                            First round?!?

Now that would surprise me but I guess you never know. Look at Craig Davis last year.
                            Scott Wright, President
                            Draft Countdown.com
                            www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                            www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                              First round?!?

Now that would surprise me but I guess you never know. Look at Craig Davis last year.
                              No joke, the guy kept comparing him to Joey Galloway.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information