Some Draft Thoughts 4-5-08

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Draft Thoughts 4-5-08

I really do believe that Atlanta will not take Matt Ryan and that regardless of what St.Louis does at #2 overall Matt Ryan won't be affected by it. Miami is gonna take one of the Longs. St.Louis will take probably either Chris Long or Glenn Dorsey. Atlanta will get Glenn Dorsey or Jake Long. Anyway it shakes out I dont see Atlanta picking Matt Ryan over those 2 guys and I think Chris Long is certainly a top 2 pick.

New England's pick is probably the hardest one to figure out in the top 10 except maybe Kansas City. But it's clear that KC probably wants a tackle or a Defensive tackle. New England has been pegged by a lot of people to take a DB, either McKelvin or Cromartie usually and maybe even Talib...and if not then they are pegged to take a tackle like Clady or Albert. Do not be surprised if New England takes Mike Jenkins whether by trading down in the teens or by staying at #7. I think they might like him more than the other 3 of the top 4 CBs this year and even though a lot people have Jenkins as the 3rd or 4th DB off the board in mocks, there's a fair chance he could be the first one taken.

And as far as the Chiefs are concerned, it looks like Sedrick Ellis, Ryan Clady, Jeff Otah, or even Branden Albert at this point. But I have serious doubts that they would reach for a tackle so I kinda lean towards believing they'll go Clady or Ellis, but it remains to be seen.

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
    St.Louis will take probably either Chris Long or Vernon Gholston.
    I can dig it

Comment

I think the top 3 will look like this..

Dolphins - Chris Long
      Rams - Vernon Gholston
      Falcons - Jake Long

No idea what Al will do he could draft McFadden, Dorsey, Ellis

KC could reach for an OT Clady or Otah or draft he best DL on their board.

If McFadden is on the board Jets will probably draft him.. If he isn't there another team who is hard to pick for.

Comment

i really would not be surprised if mike jenkins was taken by the patriots. i really believe they will trade out of the pick. they can trade down into the 15-20 area and probably will be able to take their choice between jenkins or aquib talib. if they stay at seven, i think they would take a fallen vernon gholston or DRC

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!

Comment

While I think many falcons fans will be displeased, and Dorsey makes much, much more sense, I think Arthur Blank will choose to select a face for his franchise in Matt Ryan.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
          don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

I would rather reach for Albert then Otah

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
              While I think many falcons fans will be displeased, and Dorsey makes much, much more sense, I think Arthur Blank will choose to select a face for his franchise in Matt Ryan.
              Dorsey could be the face of the franchise, Warren Sapp certainly was for the Bucs, Ray Lewis is for the Ravens, I dont think you need to take a qb when you want a face for the franchise.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                Dorsey could be the face of the franchise, Warren Sapp certainly was for the Bucs, Ray Lewis is for the Ravens, I dont think you need to take a qb when you want a face for the franchise.
                Yeah but the falcons do need to 'replace' Vick.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

You really can't rule out Ryan to either the Falcons or the Chiefs because you have no idea what either front office thinks of said player.

I've already said I don't think he's an elite prospect, but there are some that do. Therefore, since it only takes one person to fall in love with the guy, he could get grabbed at either spot.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

I have heard that Atlanta and specificaly their GM Dimtrioff (forgive my abominable spelling) will not go for Ryan at #3. I could see KC taking Ryan but I don't think they're gonna give up on Croyle just yet and that they'll take a lineman of some sorts at 5. McFadden to Oakland is a sure thing I really do believe. Gholston is not gonna go as high as people are saying, probably 6th overall with a slim chance at 4th overall.

In terms of later in the draft I think that if Desean Jackson falls past pick 22 it will be because of his maryjane liability and not necessarily his size.
                    Last edited by keylime_5; 04-05-2008, 02:49 PM.

Comment

I want to trade down to the 9th/10th pick and take Albert.

Originally posted by fenikz
                      His soft D really turns me off
                      ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

It's very hard to get a trade in the top 10 picks since teams ask for so much to get another team to trade up and those teams rarely ever wanna give up a 2nd rounder and more to move up a couple spots in the top ten...but if Cincy and KC traded it would make sense since Ellis is Cincy's guy and Otah or Albert or Clady (probably otah) could be KC's. But I really wouldn't count on that trade happening.

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                          It's very hard to get a trade in the top 10 picks since teams ask for so much to get another team to trade up and those teams rarely ever wanna give up a 2nd rounder and more to move up a couple spots in the top ten...but if Cincy and KC traded it would make sense since Ellis is Cincy's guy and Otah or Albert or Clady (probably otah) could be KC's. But I really wouldn't count on that trade happening.
                          I see the Saints trading with New England or Baltimore before KC trading with Cincy.
                          The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

I think this is how I see the Top 15 personally, as of now:

1/ Miami - Jake Long. Parcells takes the sure thing who solidifies the offensive line, both for the running game and the young quarterback (be it John Beck, Josh McCown, or someone else).

2/ St. Louis - Chris Long. Long could play at RDE, LDE, and 3 tech DT imo, Haslett (who was doing a very underrated job with the defense by the end of last season) and the Rams will have fun using him.

3/ Atlanta - Glenn Dorsey. I buy it too that Dimitroff and Smith will carry the experiences of their previous franchises over and take the talented interior defensive lineman. Rod Coleman was a good player for the Falcons for a few years, but Dorsey can be better for a longer period of time.

4/ Oakland - Darren McFadden. Gholston doesn't make sense to me, Derrick Burgess has two very cheap years left on his deal that Al Davis won't get rid of, meanwhile McFadden is more valuable seeing 240 touches than Gholston is seeing occassional pass rushing duty for a team that couldn't stop the run last year. Perfect fit for McFadden, playing with vets who can catch and pass protect, and also a ZBS for the OL.

*Trade* - New England trades up with Kansas City, ahead of one of their division rivals in the Jets.

5/ New England f/ KC - Vernon Gholston. Nightmare scenario for the Jets, no Gholston or McFadden, don't think Belichick and Pioli aren't aware of that added benefit. I will not believe Belichick will take a corner this high unless I see it, meanwhile he has a huge need at pass-rushing outside linebacker - especially if he wants any chance of beating the Colts to get back to the Super Bowl. Gholston is perfect.

6/ NY Jets - Sedrick Ellis. Robertson is gone like the wind this offseason, it's just a matter of time to see if they can engineer a trade with one of the desperate for help teams like the Broncos or Bengals. The acquisition of Kris Jenkins is big, but the Jets can further improve the front three to help their entire defense, and drafting Ellis does that. Mangenius wishes the Patriots would let Vince Wilfork hit free agency, but they won't.

7/ Kansas City f/ NE (f/ SF) - Branden Albert. Eh, this seems really high ... but you figure Albert might have as much LT potential as any other prospect, he just didn't have the opportunity to show it at Virginia where he almost entirely played guard. Reminds me of Tony Ugoh with his athleticism and his measurables, I think he'll get it done at LT. If not, the Chiefs may land an All-Pro guard ... those guys are racking in 7 to 8M per these days, amazingly.

8/ Baltimore - Matt Ryan. Brady Quinn/Miami part duex? I would be surprised to see it, then again I certainly didn't think part one would happen.

9/ Cincinnati - Derrick Harvey. You wonder if, with their lack of scouting and the coaches having most of the responsibility, if they don't draft Ryan Clady without having the in-depth concerns other teams do. They need DE bad though, and Harvey is talented. The 07 NCG performance will stick in the coaches' minds, I think.

10/ New Orleans - Leodis McKelvin. I guess it's McKelvin, although to be honest, I really thought Jeff Otah here which is a surprise. Stinchcomb wasn't very good last season, at least for the first half from what I saw (I like to watch the Saints), and he might be the best value. I don't think corner is as valued for the Saints as outsiders think ...

*Trade* - Philadelphia trades Lito Sheppard to Buffalo, moving up in the process.

11/ Philadelphia f/ BUF - Jeff Otah. The run on tackles begins!

12/ Denver - Ryan Clady. I've always liked Chris Williams more personally, although a lot of that was watching Williams and really being impressed with his play, versus not seeing much of Clady. Clady raised concerns in interviews and workouts, but then you expect Shanny to make shoddy decisions that could blow up in his face. Still, I think it's a good move and drafting a LT is the best value here.

*Trade* Chicago "overpays" (think giving up a 5th or even a 4th rounder) to switch spots with Carolina to get Chris Williams.

13/ Chicago Bears f/ CAR - Chris Williams. Excellent pick for the Bears, Williams is better than he's given credit for imo. He'll man the left side for the future.

14/ Carolina Panthers f/ CHI - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. I remember writing in my draft notes that corner was a more pressing situation for the Panthers than anyone was willing to admit, given the state of their current contracts/players (I also noted the Rams' Alex Barron having two years left on his rookie deal, which I brought up to NFLDC two months ago and now is oft-mentioned I see). Both Lucas and Gamble are likely playing their last seasons with the Panthers, leaving a very capable starter in Richard Marshall, but who else? Enter DRC, good value here I suppose given how overhyped he's been in the pre-draft process. Merling could very well be the other consideration.

15/ Detroit Lions - Rashard Mendenhall. A pick I've thought all along, I must admit. And nothing that has happened has changed my mind from it.
                            Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

I love it Geo

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information