Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keith Rivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Keith Rivers

    "Great linebackers have worn it and made it proud," Rivers said. "It's kind of a club of guys."

    Better add Rivers to the list. He not only was one of the top defenders in the nation last season; he was the best linebacker anywhere, named to All-American and All-Pac-10 first teams despite being handicapped by a sore ankle.

    Rivers is quick. He's fast. He's a reliable tackler. He's instinctive. He's outstanding in pass coverage. He works hard. He hits hard. And he's versatile, playing all three linebacker positions at the Senior Bowl practices.

    More important, he lived up to his number.

    "When I got it," said Rivers, "they sent out (a notice) to all the other 55s and let them know a new person was going to be wearing it because it hadn't been worn in years. I was honored to have it and tried my best to live up to it."
    http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10759809

    The Judge definitely likes him. I'm not sold, I think he will probably go a lot higher than he should.

    How do you see him at the next level?

    I think he will be a good Weak side Linebacker, but I dont see him being special. I think the top LBs in the last 3 or 4 years have all been better than him.

    Thoughts...

  • #2
    I like Rivers a lot. For me he looked to be on a whole different level from the other linebackers at the Senior Bowl. He looked like a natural.

    He actually reminds me a lot of Derrick Johnson, who was a mid-first rounder, and I think that is where Rivers will ultimately come out value-wise for me. Will the Top 10 be a slight reach? Probably. However for me he is without question the top linebacker in this draft.
    Scott Wright, President
    Draft Countdown.com
    www.draftcountdown.com

    Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

    Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
    www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

    Comment


    • #3
      Good to hear that you're a fan of him, Scott. Many Saint fans are cringing at the thought of us selecting Rivers at ten and consider him an overrated prospect. Now, I could see wanting to take DRC or McKelvin at 10 and adding LB help in the second such as Curtis Lofton but if Ellis & Dorsey are both gone before ten (which I fully expect them to be), I'd be thrilled if we selected Rivers. Pairing him with a healthy Vilma (*knocks on wood*) would be great.
      The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

      “We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
        Good to hear that you're a fan of him, Scott. Many Saint fans are cringing at the thought of us selecting Rivers at ten and consider him an overrated prospect. Now, I could see wanting to take DRC or McKelvin at 10 and adding LB help in the second such as Curtis Lofton but if Ellis & Dorsey are both gone before ten (which I fully expect them to be), I'd be thrilled if we selected Rivers. Pairing him with a healthy Vilma (*knocks on wood*) would be great.
        Well the saints did add a boatload of LB's (Morgan and Vilma being the biggest names) already, and they need help at corner. I'm assuming they'll jump all over DRC.

        Sig by Fenikz

        I remember NFLDC
        don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Who Dat Nation View Post
          http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10759809

          The Judge definitely likes him. I'm not sold, I think he will probably go a lot higher than he should.

          How do you see him at the next level?

          I think he will be a good Weak side Linebacker, but I dont see him being special. I think the top LBs in the last 3 or 4 years have all been better than him.

          Thoughts...
          I definitly have to disagree with his assesment of "the best linebacker anywhere" last year. J Leman, Dan Connor, James Laurinaitis and Jordan Dizon all had better seasons from a college perspective. He has the best tools of any LB in the draft though and is more suited to take his game to the next level but frankly I don't see him as a better prospect than Derrick Johnson or DJ Williams when they came out and they weren't top 14 picks.
          10 Favourite prospects for 2010: Colt McCoy, Dez Bryant, Golden Tate, Noel Devine, Ndamukong Suh, Greg Hardy, Eric Norwood, Travis Lewis, Eric Berry, Trevard Lindley

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Addict View Post
            Well the saints did add a boatload of LB's (Morgan and Vilma being the biggest names) already, and they need help at corner. I'm assuming they'll jump all over DRC.
            Counting on Dan Morgan to last a full season?

            ...

            ...

            Lawlz.
            The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

            “We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
              Counting on Dan Morgan to last a full season?

              ...

              ...

              Lawlz.
              touché... that means you've got a point

              Sig by Fenikz

              I remember NFLDC
              don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Solomon View Post
                I definitly have to disagree with his assesment of "the best linebacker anywhere" last year. J Leman, Dan Connor, James Laurinaitis and Jordan Dizon all had better seasons from a college perspective. He has the best tools of any LB in the draft though and is more suited to take his game to the next level but frankly I don't see him as a better prospect than Derrick Johnson or DJ Williams when they came out and they weren't top 14 picks.
                yes, but he is on par with ernie sims as a prospect, as we have all seen, if a team falls in love with a player early on, then it wont stop them from reaching for him...i can see rivers to NE at 7 if push came to shove, i dont like the fit though im just saying...also, cincy and NO have to be possible landing destinations for him...
                Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                The APS is strong in this one.
                Originally posted by killxswitch
                Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                  I like Rivers a lot. For me he looked to be on a whole different level from the other linebackers at the Senior Bowl. He looked like a natural.
                  Thanks for the impressions! (Oh, and for this awesome site.) Aside from Rivers' stats, I find myself quite impressed with some of the interviews I've read from the guy. He seems like he's conscious and aware of the responsibilities of being a team leader, and it sounds like he's a good locker room guy to have around. Between the height/weight/speed numbers, the leadership, and big-program background, Rivers definitely has the look of a Payton first rounder.

                  Rivers would be Morgan's understudy, assuming he could unseat the LB demigod that is Scott Shanle.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Jesus Christ, Saint fans are coming out of the woodwork! Ahhh! I'm not used to this!

                    Anyhow, I think if drafted at 10 by us Rivers would instantly be a starter over Morgan/Shanle. Payton isn't afraid of starting rookies (Evans, Colston & Harper) and I would assume our lineup would be Rivers/Vilma/Fujita. I just soiled myself.
                    The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

                    “We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I see him getting like 130-150 tackles. Assuming he gets the starting nod right away and stays relatively healthy. I mean our own (Jets) David Harris got around 130 tackles and didn't start until after a few weeks.
                      Jets, Mets, Knicks, and the U's too cool for uze

                      Sig by, Hitman D

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Any team would be crazy to count on Dan Morgan.
                        Scott Wright, President
                        Draft Countdown.com
                        www.draftcountdown.com

                        Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

                        Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                        www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                          Any team would be crazy to count on Dan Morgan.
                          Very true as always Scott, but you can't completely ignore the fact that the guys a playmaker when he's not concussed. It's a gamble that while it probably won't mean much, could pay off big.

                          I think Rivers will be a beast wherever he goes, but the top defensive tackles would be a much better fit for NO in my opinion. I don't know if drafting a raw corner like DRC (even though I'm a huge fan) is the right step for a franchise that in all honesty needs to be trying to get to the Super Bowl with the kind of offensive talent they've assembled.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think that Keith Rivers is the best LB in this class but i don't think that he is as good as the other top LBs from past two LB classes. I don't think that he is as good as A.J Hawk, Ernie Simms or Patrick Willis. I do think that he will be a very good starter in the NFL for many years though.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ChargerCohen View Post
                              I think Rivers will be a beast wherever he goes, but the top defensive tackles would be a much better fit for NO in my opinion. I don't know if drafting a raw corner like DRC (even though I'm a huge fan) is the right step for a franchise that in all honesty needs to be trying to get to the Super Bowl with the kind of offensive talent they've assembled.
                              Without question, adding Dorsey or Ellis is our top priority in the draft but I just don't see it being a realistic possibility unless we were to trade up with either Baltimore or New England. Could it happen? Yes, but I think that either Rivers will be our choice or a top offensive prospect.
                              The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

                              “We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information