Longevity of DT's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longevity of DT's

I have realized recently that DT's, in general, don't seem to last as long as players at most other positions. Thier bodies just seem to wear down sooner than most positions and they tend to get injured more and have shorter careers. Just look at Glenn Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis: Both had injury issues in college. When looking around the NFL I notice a lot of DT's that have been injured for various lengths of time in recent years: Tommie Harris, Marcus Stroud, John Henderson, Trey Lewis ect. This has me nervous at the idea of the Falcons taking Dorsey at 3. I know he's never missed a game, but he did get hurt and banging heads for 4 years in the SEC can't be easy on the guys body. I'm worried he will have about 4 good years in the NFL before taking a major hit in performance due to one health issue or another. Am I wrong on this one?

linebacker is a crazy intense position, id figure they would wear down quicker.

Go Celtics
    Go Irish
    Go Ravens

Comment

Ted Washington has played forever

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

DT and ILB wear down quickest because they normally rely on strength, pass rush DTs are more like DEs, im talking about run stopping DTs

Comment

Yes this is a major concern but DT's are so important these days that everyone is going to have to take a risk on one eventually. All player are going to have injury concerns in the NFL. DT's and RB's probably have the highest concern with RB's getting hit so much and DT's taking such a beating in the trenches every play plus having to support all that weight.

Comment

Gravy Jackson is pretty old and yet hes still good for depth.
            "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
              Gravy Jackson is pretty old and yet hes still good for depth.

He's good as a starter...

Comment

I'm not denying thier are exceptions. That's why I said "generally". Most humans don't live to 100+ years old. A minority of exceptions doesn't change that.

Comment

Pat Williams is pretty damn old too

Sig by yours truly.

Comment

i would reword this somewhat. it seems that once a DT does suffer an injury, they seem to keep reinjuring themself.

so some guys like fat pat and gravy jackson just keep on trucking while other guys suffer some serious injury and have it keep recurring....

or at least that seems how it is to me

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                      I'm not denying thier are exceptions. That's why I said "generally". Most humans don't live to 100+ years old. A minority of exceptions doesn't change that.
                      Grady Jackson
                      Pat Williams
                      Ted Washington
                      Warren Sapp
                      Thats four, im sure i could think of more old starters at DT

Comment

Rb
                        Lb
                        Dt
                        Fb
                        Te
                        Cb
                        Wr
                        C
                        Og
                        Ot
                        De
                        Qb
                        P
                        K

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
                          Grady Jackson
                          Pat Williams
                          Ted Washington
                          Warren Sapp
                          Thats four, im sure i could think of more old starters at DT
                          4 out of the entire NFL...

and Ted Washington missed half of last year because of a knee injury. Seems you're making my point while trying to disprove it.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                            4 out of the entire NFL...

and Ted Washington missed half of last year because of a knee injury. Seems you're making my point while trying to disprove it.
                            And he's also like 39. Plus I said there was more, i was just listing a few. How many 35+ QBs and RBs are there that start?

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
                              Ted Washington has played forever
                              same with Sam Adams and Pat Williams

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information