Giants draft ANOTHER end?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants draft ANOTHER end?

This assumes that the top tier of CB (McKelvin, DRC, Jenkins, Talib, Cason) are gone at 31 and they don't want to reach for the next tier (Patrick Lee etc).

Osi Umeniora is great, he's got one DE position on lockdown.
    Michael Strahan is great but on the verge of retirement.
    Justin Tuck is great but likely going to bump outside if no Strahan.
    Mathias Kiwaunka is ok and has been converted to SLB.

maybe USC's Lawrence Jackson at 31? thoughts?
    my shoes hurt

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

I doubt it. I mean, at 31, you'll have a luxury of being able to take any 2nd tier guys. You look at secondary, even safety, someone will be there.

Follow Me on Twitter!
    https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Not a chance! Osi and Tuck will be the starters for years to come...and you dont draft depth in the 1st round!

Comment

Originally posted by JBond93 View Post
        You look at secondary, even safety, someone will be there.
        both Phillips and reggie Smith could go before 31, the other guys (morgan, t johnson) are second tier guys

just throwing this out there, aren't we all overlooking one of the standard draft moves over the last 5 years - the Giants always draft DE!
        my shoes hurt

Comment

I wouldn't rule it out, although I'm more inclined to think that either safety or CB value will be there. If for some reason none are, I could also see them perhaps look at DT. OT can't be ruled out, although value there will be iffy as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakey View Post
            Not a chance! Osi and Tuck will be the starters for years to come...and you dont draft depth in the 1st round!
            if Spagnolo wants to rotate 3 DE on passing downs it's not depth.
            my shoes hurt

Comment

Originally posted by bitonti View Post
              both Phillips and reggie Smith could go before 31, the other guys (morgan, t johnson) are second tier guys

just throwing this out there, aren't we all overlooking one of the standard draft moves over the last 5 years - the Giants always draft DE!
              They are better off taking DE value in the 3rd. I mean, a guy like Darrell Robertson could be there late 3rd. Same with a Jeremy Thompson (who I think they'd love). Chris Ellis has really fallen and is likely there in the late 3rd now.

I'll be surprised if both Phillips and Reggie Smith are off before 31. Neither one grades that much better, if at all, than Tyrell or Dajuan, although in the case of Tyrell, he's a strong safety, whereas the other three would be free safeties, which is why I don't see the Giants going after Tyrell (although he does have the athleticism to develop as a free safety ... he's a SS in a FS body right now, though).

Comment

Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
                They are better off taking DE value in the 3rd. I mean, a guy like Darrell Robertson could be there late 3rd. Same with a Jeremy Thompson (who I think they'd love). Chris Ellis has really fallen and is likely there in the late 3rd now.
                Robertson is a fit for 3-4. Thompson and Ellis might just stink in the pros. Mark my words if a DE they like is there they will do it.

just like Lions taking WR, the Giants are gonna take a DE. it's draft standard procedure.
                my shoes hurt

Comment

There is a difference though. The Lions didn't really have a strong WR because they blew the draft with Rogers and Williams. The Giants have been very successful drafting DEs, so now it is not a need.

Follow Me on Twitter!
                  https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Lawrence Jackson at 31st overall specifically, no. Jackson is JAG, he's not anything to write home about as a pass rusher nor is he worth taking that high. Maybe he is worth considering at the Bucs' 2nd round pick, with a need for LDE, but certainly the Giants could instead address bigger and more pressing needs with far better talent available at those positions.
                    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Yea...no. Not gonna happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                        Lawrence Jackson at 31st overall specifically, no. Jackson is JAG, he's not anything to write home about as a pass rusher nor is he worth taking that high.
                        he's a similar prospect to Justin Tuck in terms of grade.

Im telling you guys we could have started this same thread before the Tuck pick and you all would have said the same thing - no way!

The draft is not predicting what you would do if you were a GM it's about predicting what the GMs are gonna do.
                        my shoes hurt

Comment

^ I am predicting the GM's are not gonna draft another DE this year! I think the rest of us are aswell :p

EDIT: In the 1st that is.

Comment

You realize that besides Kiwi, Accorsi or Reese have never drafted a DE in the first. Osi was in the 2nd and the only reason we took Kiwi was because of us trading down.

Originally posted by Halsey
                            I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

Before the Tuck pick? We had no depth then and that was the 3rd round, not the first round.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information