X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phins negotiating with long

http://www.miamiherald.com/614/story/489210.html

jake that is.

what do you think the odds are now that its jake over chris?

I think there's a very good chance they go Jake Long, I think it depends on who they can get a better deal with actually...

Comment

Okay, this won't make much sense, but my honest answer is that the chances of Jake Long isn't any higher or lower than before, and I'm still not sold it's Jake. There is no way, IMO, that the Dolphins would leak this out this early. This is ridiculously early. Of course, as with everything draft related, there is a caveat, and perhaps they are hoping he takes a below contract deal. But for this information to get out this early, from an organization that is tight lipped? I find it very suspicious to say the least. Not saying they won't go Jake, but this feels like an effort to try and convince someone to swap up, perhaps even the Rams, who many have rumored are intrigued with Jake, perhaps the Chiefs.

There was a report somewhere that suggested they were going to open negotiations with Jake, Chris, Glenn, and Matt.

Ah, it was the Jason Cole article, but he's since updated it to acknowledge for the Herald report on Jake.
      Last edited by toonsterwu; 04-09-2008, 03:47 PM.

Comment

It all depends on who comes cheaper who they don't have to give 30 million gureenuted. I wonder if they will take 25 million.

I think its a race between the Longs

Comment

this screams 'smokescreen' at me. No way they'll leak THIS fast. I think they're hoping KC will bite or something

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
          don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Take it with a grain of salt.. Dolphins just doing there job..
            Derrick Morgan > All

Comment

I personally think this is just Bill Parcells being a very smart executive. If Jake is their guy then they are starting early to make sure that they will have a deal hammered out come draft day and they wouldn't have to deal with a holdout. If there is in fact little interest in selecting Jake, but they try and make it seem as if he's their guy, then that forces other teams in the Top 5 who have interest in Jake to think about trading up.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Responsibility is a heavy responsibility.

It's parcells' responsibility to make a trade market for his pick.

Comment

It depends on agents but I could see Jake Long taking less money then Chris

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                  Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

I really think the pick is Jake. I doubt they draft Chris if they see him as an end, and I don't think he would be worthy as a 3-4 LB either. That brings Gholston into the discussion but is he worthy of a #1 pick?

I think it really comes down to the fact that Miami will want to build up the trenches to start their rebuilding process, and they start with Jake.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by umphrey View Post
                      I really think the pick is Jake. I doubt they draft Chris if they see him as an end, and I don't think he would be worthy as a 3-4 LB either. That brings Gholston into the discussion but is he worthy of a #1 pick?

I think it really comes down to the fact that Miami will want to build up the trenches to start their rebuilding process, and they start with Jake.
                      ... if Chris is a DE technically he plays in the Trenches too. Same goes for Gholston.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                      don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatEscape View Post
                        Responsibility is a heavy responsibility.

It's parcells' responsibility to make a trade market for his pick.
                        I think he's done trying to 'sell' the #1 pick, no one wants it, its no player that warrants that spot, and no one good enough to make someone trade up...Parcells is just keeping everybody guessing, but I dont think he's concerned with covering things up so he can trade the pick, the chances of that happening are very small.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Does anyone seriously think that Tom Condon would take a below Market deal... In my opinion, there is not a chance that Condon would accept that.

I am intrigued by Peter King's suggestion that Miami may attempt to negotiate with various players to get the lowest price but if they go down that route, I can see that ruling out Condon backed guys.
                          Will post for +rep.

Comment

Miami is just doing the smart thing and opening talks early enough that they can use each player's potential deal to drive the others down.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                              I think he's done trying to 'sell' the #1 pick, no one wants it, its no player that warrants that spot, and no one good enough to make someone trade up...Parcells is just keeping everybody guessing, but I dont think he's concerned with covering things up so he can trade the pick, the chances of that happening are very small.
                              agreed. barring that .0000001% chance that they hit the jockpot and rob the cowboys blind of d-mac, no one wants that pick.

all of the teams directly behind them have multiple players theyd be thrilled to have too. i they take jake, the rams go with chris or gholston. the falcons go dorsey or ryan. the chiefs go dorsey, ellis or ryan....

the dolphins are the only team whos going to be picking #1 overall this year. and with the money thats involved, i think jake's position makes him more worth it than anyone else, so talking to him early might give them a jump and get him to accept less money than he otherwise would.

also, if he seems adamant on more money than they want to pay, theres still plenty of time to talk to chris, ryan, gholston, etc.

if one of them were to agree to significantly less, they could go that players direction or use that as leverage on jake. if those guys are willing to take less, then jake will certainly be getting less money than that even if hes selected several picks later.

i think its smart on the dolphins for any reason they are doing it really

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information