Phins Negotiating with Jake Long AND Vernon Gholston

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phins Negotiating with Jake Long AND Vernon Gholston

According to the Sun-Sentinel, the Dolphins have begin negotiations with Jake Long AND Vernon Gholston:

Apparently content to keep the No. 1 overall pick, the Dolphins have begun discussing contract parameters with at least two players on their short list of candidates to become the draft's top selection.

Official contract negotiations with Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long, and Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston were started this week, according to a source. Coincidentally, Long and Gholston are represented by the same agency, CAA, but have different agents.

Long and Gholston are believed to be two of the five prospects the Dolphins have thoroughly investigated in case they don't trade away the top pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, which takes place on April 26-27.
    Click the link to read the rest of the article:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,7093217.story

Discuss now:

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Wow Gholston went from looking like a beast to looking like a complete vagina with that Dolphins jersey...

Comment

I do expect there to be contract negotiations with Chris Long as well. But, if indeed the only serious talks are between Jake and Vernon, then we will try to hammer out some outlines for deals for both. Jake will be our negotiating piece at a last ditch effort to get the Rams to bite on a trade. That way we could swap with them, already have Vernon under contract, take him at # 2, and get an extra pick out of it. If they don't bite, we have a deal hammered out with Gholston either way and he is the choice.

Maybe it's me dreaming, but who knows at this point!?

Comment

This is not surpising Gholston is an athletic OLB/DE...Bill parcells likes to have a very good pass rusher on his teams and he seems to have a good eye for them. He did draft Lawrence Taylor and Demarcus Ware, I think that Gholston will follow suit and if Bill thinks that Gholston is even gonna be close to as good as those two he should take him.

Comment

I've heard that the Fins are also planning on opening up negotiations with Chris Long, Matt Ryan, and Glenn Dorsey. I don't think this is anything more than Miami looking at all possible avenues.

Comment

I heard Chris Long and Dorsey, but I heard they ruled out Ryan and were not even going to speak with him about a deal, I actually heard Harvey's name mentioned as the guy who they were working figures with instead.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
              I've heard that the Fins are also planning on opening up negotiations with Chris Long, Matt Ryan, and Glenn Dorsey. I don't think this is anything more than Miami looking at all possible avenues.
              Maybe Dorsey and Chris, but not Ryan.

Comment

Originally posted by thebow305 View Post
                Maybe Dorsey and Chris, but not Ryan.
                I don't think that Ryan will be a decent starter in the league. But Beck is even less of a viable starter. The Dolphins are taking a pretty smart tack here. They've got so many holes, that they can open negotiations with all the top prospects, and take whomever is willing to sign for the least.

Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
                The Destroyer Is Manifest!
                I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=mia

Here's the video of Mort talking about who Miami is negotiating with, that they have no interest in talking to Ryan, and Harvey is the other guy they want to speak with.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Jake Long will be in a Miami uniform next year

Comment

Gholston is the one reasonable chance at signing a very below market contract, only because he could fall further than Long/ Long/ Dorsey, to the point where he'd actually make more money being severely underpaid as the first overall pick than say as the sixth overall pick by the Jets. That's actually a good move for him.

I wonder how that would affect the Draft, in terms of signings, from there. My guess is that every player (more specifically their agent or agents) would disregard the Gholston signing, just like teams will disregard the absolutely horrible contract the Jets gave Darrelle Revis, and instead look to a percentage increase of the previous year's picks/signings as normal. Which would mean we would see a few guys selected after Gholston being paid more, assuming the above scenario does happen.
                      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Of course it depends on the contract terms of Gholston, but it seems easy to expect that Jake Long would at least warrant more money even if picked at the #2 or #3 spot. If his agents are any good, they'll point to both the guaranteed money Joe Thomas got and the overall contract Levi Brown got, which could end up making Jake Long the highest paid offensive lineman in football.

Comment

Originally posted by thebow305 View Post
                          Jake will be our negotiating piece at a last ditch effort to get the Rams to bite on a trade.
                          Pretty sure the Rams will be content to sit at two and take whichever Long the Dolphins don't pick.

Comment

Originally posted by NGSeiler View Post
                            Pretty sure the Rams will be content to sit at two and take whichever Long the Dolphins don't pick.
                            and if they take Gholston? Which Long
                            Page 49, Atlanta Falcons Gameday Thread- Best...Page...Ever

Comment

Personally, I can't see why the Rams would not take Chris Long if he's there.

Yes, they could do with Dorsey, but they already have Carricker and Clifton set at DT.

Yes, they could take JL, but they don't have an immediate need at OT either. Pace is aging, and Barron has been inconsistent, but without injuries, the O-line is probably one of their strengths - and you don't draft at #2 to protect against injuries.

They have a huge need at DE.

CL, JL and Dorsey all grade out similarly, so why would you not take the player at the position of greatest need?
                              TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information