Football Outsiders examines runningbacks and 40 times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football Outsiders examines runningbacks and 40 times

FO on ESPN: Combine Stats Not Created Equal.

Interesting article and formula, necessarily adjusting 40 time for weight.

AOL Sports blog provides the calculated scores for this year's RB class.
    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

nice finds dude

Comment

Other than Parleme and Simpson all the top RBs fit the ranking

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

That's a nice read. I was definitely feeling like something was missing until I read the other article that went through this year's RB class.
        The A-Man
        -- Die Hard Virginia Fan --

Comment

Well... I guess it makes sense that the bigger and faster you are, the more likely you are to do well.

Comment

Hmmm really good.

Thank you XxXDragonXxX for the Avatar!

Comment

nice find....!!!

Comment

They call Chris Perry a bust..that is not definable. More like busted up, as in injured. His only full season though showed 60 catches and 600 yards rushing as a compliment to Rudi Johnson.

Comment

Wow, they mention Luke Staley in one of those articles. He won the Doak Walker, was 6ft 1 and 227 lbs and ran a 4.42 40 at the combine. If injuries hadn't derailed his career he might've changed how scouts evaluate white RBs.
                  10 Favourite prospects for 2010: Colt McCoy, Dez Bryant, Golden Tate, Noel Devine, Ndamukong Suh, Greg Hardy, Eric Norwood, Travis Lewis, Eric Berry, Trevard Lindley

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                    Other than Parleme and Simpson all the top RBs fit the ranking
                    I have been saying that Parmele and to a lesser extent Simpson should be drafted much higher than most think. Parmele is my #6 RB and I think he will be the biggest steal in the draft if drafted after the 3rd. Of course that is all dependent on the situation he is drafted into. They do say in the AOL article that he is considered a high pick and that is the first I have heard of that. I do think that people are really waking up to him.

Comment

Can some calculate the ajusted forty time values for this years propects?

I'm too lazy.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                      Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

Originally posted by DeathbyStat View Post
                        Can some calculate the ajusted forty time values for this years propects?

I'm too lazy.
                        Too lazy to even click links?

One of the articles that was posted has them for this years players.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry121283 View Post
                          Too lazy to even click links?

One of the articles that was posted has them for this years players.
                          Sorry i didn't see that

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                          Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

Frank Gore does not score well here...

He was maybe 215 lbs coming out and ran something like a 4.65

That gives him a lowly 92 adjusted score, so this isn't to be taken as the end all and be all, but it seems to work well most of the time.

Comment

I don't know how Rudi Johnson supposedly scored high.

I don't think he ran at all at the combine (did work out though) and then ran like a 4.7+ at his pro day.

Like always, this could be a nice tool just to get a decent gauge of who is who and what is what, but at the end of the day, I don't see how this tells you anything you didn't already know.

McFadden, Stewart, Mendenhall are studs and all could be great. Chris Johnson is a sleeper (weren't there 23423048 threads after his bowl game on here?) as are Chad Simpson and Jalen Parmele (read it somewhere on here or another forum a few weeks ago). Ray Rice and Steve Slaton are buyer beware players that teams will be all over the map on.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information