The Joe Staley trade one year later

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Joe Staley trade one year later

The Joe Staley trade one year later, by 49ers beat writer Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee. Very interesting read, check it out.

I agree in thinking the trade was worth it for the 49ers, as I think Staley works out to be a (very) good LT and the 49ers obviously need that. That's one of the premium positions in the league, and the 49ers are paying Staley as the 28th pick in the 2007 Draft instead of paying a 7th overall pick. Goodness knows they've spent enough money on Top 10 picks in recent years, and Willis is the only one producing much at the moment.

I'm not sure how many realize this, but assuming everyone plays well through their rookie contracts, the 7th overall pick costs more than or almost as much as Willis, Staley, and the 29th overall pick this year combined. Unless the 7th overall guy disappoints and/or doesn't reach incentives I suppose, like Cedric Benson.

But I do think it's presumptious to assume the 49ers could have just taken Tony Ugoh with the 42nd overall pick. Who's to say how they graded Ugoh exactly, and they could have still accepted the trade from the Colts to get their 08 1st round pick. Sure in retrospect they could have done that, but teams could do a number of things differently in retrospect.
    Last edited by Geo; 04-11-2008, 04:26 PM.
    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

I love these kind of retrospectives when their done well. The best one I've seen was a 5 year retrospective look at the Tomlinson Vick trade done by FO. They figured out that both teams were worse off than they would have been not making the trade.

Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
    The Destroyer Is Manifest!
    I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk

Comment

Good article. I've made similar claims on here about why I'm not bummed that the 49ers dont have the 7th pick in this years draft. I never really thought about the money part of it though.

Comment

I thought it was a grade trade then, and I still think it's a good trade now. Whether or not a trade works out should not be the defining factor as to whether or not it's a good trade. Certainly, it should play a role, and we won't know for a few more years how it will turn out.

That said, the dynamics at the time certainly should be a factor. And at the time, the 49ers were coming off a much improved year with a lot of optimism. They had been aggressive in free agency, adding players that many believed shored up key needs for them. Their QB looked like he was on the way up.

They were aggressive, and I don't think you can fault them for that, particularly since their rumored targets were Bowe or Staley. Both were potential areas of need for them, and LT is obviously a premium position. Most believed that there was another dip after Staley last year as well, although not as big as the Levi Brown to Joe Staley dip.

Comment

Well, its too a little early...They would of probably taken Clady this year, if he ends up a HOF and Staley ends up solid they probably wont look at the trade the same...in the short term yes its fine because of the cost, and you get your guy earlier to get seasoned alot sooner..But if the gap between Staley and Clady or Williams isnt that huge, great trade for the Niners.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I don't think the gap between Staley and let's say the #2 OT this year is that big anyways so it looks to be an all-around great trade especially when you take into account the financial differences.

Comment

In a hypothetical situation where they didn't deal up last year, still did poorly, and had their pick, I would think they would look awful long at Matt Ryan. As much as I am a fan of Alex Smith, he hasn't done enough. Shaun Hill and JT O'Sullivan really shouldn't be challenging for starting jobs. Considering the deep OT class, they might've felt comfortable waiting a round for OT help (perhaps a similarly athletic OT like Duane Brown in the 2nd).

Of course, this scenario doesn't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
                In a hypothetical situation where they didn't deal up last year, still did poorly, and had their pick, I would think they would look awful long at Matt Ryan. As much as I am a fan of Alex Smith, he hasn't done enough. Shaun Hill and JT O'Sullivan really shouldn't be challenging for starting jobs. Considering the deep OT class, they might've felt comfortable waiting a round for OT help (perhaps a similarly athletic OT like Duane Brown in the 2nd).

Of course, this scenario doesn't exist.
                I dont know. I dont want to sound like a homer because i think a lot of the board believes he is a bust, but last season is almost a wash. He played 3 games with the worst offensive line and WR core (led the league in drops at that time) and a terrible rookie OC. Then he goes and seperates his shoulder after 1 series in week 4, and when he comes back he looks terrible because of that injury which is causing innacuracy.

Smith definitely has his faults (shoddy mechanics) but i think they would stick with him and hopefully Martz will mold him. If the 49ers had the #7 pick, i think Martz would play a big factor. Smith hasnt been traded like Harrington was in Detroit after Martz came aboard and no attempt has been made to sign a QB in FA other than J.T. O'Sullivan getting a small deal to be the 3rd QB. Hopefully Smith gets his act together...he was looked at as a breakout player this time last year.

As for the Staley trade...during the season i hated it. It was embarassing because at one point the 49ers had the #2 pick and at times Staley played downright awful. But looking back he only had 3 bad games (Browns, Giants, Cardinals week 1) and he was otherwise average-good. Staley is more a LT than a RT, and hopefully he makes the transition smoothly.

Comment

Oh, I don't think Smith is a bust at all. I think there were extenuating circumstances. Certainly, a level of blame should be placed on Smith, but not all of it. Nolan deserves a lot of blame as well, as he made the decision to go with Hostetler.

That said, I think they would give awful long thought to Ryan. I mean, Smith would've entered his 4th year with one good year under his belt. Albeit, there would be 4 more years (assuming they had picked it up as they did) and Smith is awfully young (only 24 later this year, I think). That said, maybe they would go Ot and then look at a Brohm, or move up for him (and there are still rumors they may look at QB, particularly if the board doesn't shake out how they want it). Short of it is, I think pondering a QB would've been a facotr. Not saying they would or would've, but it had to be a consideration.

But this is, well, just a hypothetical.

Comment

When is the last time you have seen a Martz offense run by a high-round pick though...

Comment

Damn San Fran! Now the Pats have the 7th overall pick because of JOE STALEY. I don't care what is said, any way you look at it, it's bad!

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Comment

Still gets an N/A from me.

He did allow 9 sacks last year as a first year player. It isn't D'Brickashaw Ferguson bad, but obviously you'd want to see better play there in pass protection.

He also was average in run blocking ranking 16th in the league in runs behind the left tackle.

Still have a long ways to wait and see on this one. I won't jump the gun on it. Ugoh proved to have a great, GREAT year as a rookie, however, the Colts' scheme and coaching staff could have been the reason for that (coupled with Ugoh's play, obviously.

The good news...only 2 false starts and 1 holding penalty all year.

Would he have been the #7 overall player in the draft this year? Probably not. So, that is making me lean toward "no" at the moment...but we will see as time comes and goes on this one where Staley ends up in regards to this class.
                        Last edited by Larry121283; 04-11-2008, 08:59 PM.

Comment

I love Staley and his rookie year. I think he'll be a star for us for years so I'm not unhappy with the trade. Our pathetic year means that he will spend his career with that trade hanging over his head which is unfortunate. At pick #7 its iffy but what if we had of performed to mild expectations and the pick was #15 or performed better and it was pick #21 ?

Whats the pick number that most people would be happy with this trade ?

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me

Comment

Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
                            Oh, I don't think Smith is a bust at all. I think there were extenuating circumstances. Certainly, a level of blame should be placed on Smith, but not all of it. Nolan deserves a lot of blame as well, as he made the decision to go with Hostetler.

That said, I think they would give awful long thought to Ryan. I mean, Smith would've entered his 4th year with one good year under his belt. Albeit, there would be 4 more years (assuming they had picked it up as they did) and Smith is awfully young (only 24 later this year, I think). That said, maybe they would go Ot and then look at a Brohm, or move up for him (and there are still rumors they may look at QB, particularly if the board doesn't shake out how they want it). Short of it is, I think pondering a QB would've been a facotr. Not saying they would or would've, but it had to be a consideration.

But this is, well, just a hypothetical.
                            Matt Ryan is exactly one year younger than Alex Smith and it would probably take him a year to be at Smith's level of development.

I agree they'd look but I think they'd realise they'd break the bank for a guy less developed and just a year younger than their current starter.

Comment

The jury's still out.
                              A lot of it will depend on what the Patriots turn that pick into. Especially considering how much stronger (hypothetically) last year's class was. Staley can turn into a very good left tackle. He probably won't be elite, but very good. I also agree with Toonster that the 49ers wanted to make more progress for the present.
                              The same thing was said about the Eli Manning trade, now the Chargers have everything, except for the super bowl ring Manning has.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information