Best Slot WR in 08

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Slot WR in 08

It seems that this year there aren't very many #1 or 2 wrs but a a ton of guys who would excel in the slot position. Who is the best slot WR prospect in this years draft?

(my list)
    1. Desean Jackson Cal - More of a flanker, but a bit undersized. Probably has the most natural hands of any wr on this list.
    2. Eddie Royal Vtech - Prototypical slot wr
    3. Mario Manningham Michigan - Like Desean, more of your flanker
    4. Dexter Jackson App State - Ridiculous speed, poor route runner, I haven't seen him take a hit, so I don't know about his concentration.
    5. Lavelle Hawkins Cal - Good speed, excels at finding space. Inconsistent hands and concentration
    6. Earl Bennet Vandy - I only saw him play when he was with Cutler, but he was pretty darn good at getting open and making tough catches. Less explosive than some of the others though.
    7. Donnie Avery Houston - I'll be honest. I have never seen him play. But he runs a 4.2ish 40...
    8. Davone Bess Hawaii - Lacks elite speed, but has great vision, good hands and YAC
    9. Ryan Grice-Mullin Hawaii - Better hand than Bess, but is not as good at anything else
    10. Danny Amendola Texas Tech - Slow and small. But could be the next welker.... i guess.

Just in case. The skill set for the slot is a bit different than the flanker or the split end. Slot WRs usually are good at reading underneath zone coverage (excels at "finding space," and running crossers), are good at catching fastballs, can take a hit from lbs or safeties and hold on, good yac ability.

im glad to see amendola on that list. in the TT games i saw last year, he jumped out to me more often than even crabtree

Comment

Manningham isn't really fit for the slot position IMO. He has the moves of a playmaker, but doesn't like to go through the middle and is much more effective on longer routes that stretch the field.
      I'm a state.

Comment

Jackson..... He is going to be a first round pick were his best fit is at the slot.

Thank you XxXDragonXxX for the Avatar!

Comment

Early Doucet, physical, great hands but not a down field threat and most important is his toughness both catching passes through the middle and in the running game.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
            Manningham isn't really fit for the slot position IMO. He has the moves of a playmaker, but doesn't like to go through the middle and is much more effective on longer routes that stretch the field.
            Yah I actually see both Manningham and Desean as much better flankers. But because of their size I decided to put them on this list.

But as far as skill set, Jackson is the biggest play maker so I put him at #1. He can make your underneath crosser go for six in a heartbeat.

Another additional consideration is whether the guy has the mindset to be a slot wr. They have to be tough and unselfish, traits which I wouldn't exactly say that either guy has an abundance of.

Comment

Id probably rank Eddie Royal the highest...he has some serious playmaking ability to go along with great hands and speed.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Donnie Avery is your prototypical slot guy. Jackson and Manningham are better suited for flanker on the weakside, not in the slot.

Comment

i think jacob tamme is gunna make one hellova slot/TE hyrbid...but maybe thats just me
                  Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                  The APS is strong in this one.
                  Originally posted by killxswitch
                  Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Depends on your offensive scheme. I could really see Early Doucet excel out of the slot for some West Coast offenses. If you are looking for your "prototype", I would lean to, hmm, probably Dexter Jackson, but there's a lot of options.

Comment

Earl Bennett is a stud, and look for him to be reunited with fellow Vandy Jay Cutler in Denver. They have some holes at WR in Denver and EB would look great there. Pencil him in a Bronco uni.

Comment

I'd like to throw UTEP's Lorne Sam in the list too. He's big(6 3 220) he's strong (23 reps at the combine) he's tough (never afraid to catch it over the middle and he could take a hit) and he's a great playmaker. His 40 time wasn't that spectacular at the combine (4.59) but what you don't know is that this guy is a TOUGH runner, he'll run over you. I saw him play all the years he was at UTEP and whether he was in at QB or WR you always knew there was a potential for a big play. I really do see him as a good Slot WR at the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                          Donnie Avery is your prototypical slot guy. Jackson and Manningham are better suited for flanker on the weakside, not in the slot.
                          You mean split end? I think they are both a terrible fit for SE, to easy to jam them. On the strongside they can play off the LOS and won't be as easy to jam.

Yah, Donnie Avery sounds like he could be great in the slot. I hear he can really fly too.

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post

Actually I think Avery is the prototype #2 WR in the NFL, along the lines of Terry Glenn, Santonio Holmes, he's more then just a slot WR.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

EB, Doucet, Royal, Jackson
                              my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                              <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                              <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                              <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                              Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                              What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information