Steve Slaton = Kevin Faulk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Slaton = Kevin Faulk

Is it me or is Steve Slaton being compared to Kevin Faulk a perfect comparison... They both played/play under the spread offense. Both have great receiving skills and possess good speed and great quickness but below average break tackle ability. While both are undersized. Kevin Faulk never was the #1 guy normally being a 3rd down situational back..which I see Slaton having the same type of role in the NFL. I just can not help but think about how similar they are.

they are pretty similar, Slaton was probably better in college, but i think Faulk is better in the NFL than Slaton will be.

Odd thing about this, is that Slaton and Faulk both pulled hammys in the last and biggest game of this year.

Comment

faulk: 5'8 202
      slaton: 5'9 198

both decent speed.....

yeah, id buy it as a good comparison

Comment

if you watch the pitt game from like 2 years ago, Slaton completely torched that defense for like 2 recieving TDs and 2 rushing TDs. The recieving TDs were really impressive seeing how he outran Darrelle Revis for one of them.

Comment

I think Faulk couldn't hold a candle to Slaton's top end speed, and I don't think Slaton is nearly as strong a runner as Faulk. People forget how prolific and powerful a runner Kevin Faulk was at LSU.

I think Slaton has been knocked further down boards than necessary, especially considering that the argument could be made that not a single other runner in this draft catches the ball as well as him, but in terms of running styles or college careers, I don't see a whole lot of parallels.

Comment

I don't think it's a great comparison, aside from catching ability.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargerCohen View Post
              I don't think it's a great comparison, aside from catching ability.
              what makes a good comparison then?

same size. same instincts. same receiving ability. same power.
              faulks a 3rd down back.
              slaton projects to be a 3rd down back.

Go Celtics
              Go Irish
              Go Ravens

Comment

I think alot of people are really low on Slaton on this board, while I dont think he gives you much so he's not worth an early pick, but if he goes into the right situation I wouldnt be surprised to see him end up being sucessful...I could see him in Tampa Bay with Ernest Graham in a WCO for instance.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I see it, I think he can still be a very good back despite his down year. If he can have anything close to the success faulk has had he should be happy.

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21

Comment

he played a lot in the slot last year and we threw him the ball there---see pitt game last year

this year when he was in the slot it was as a decoy, same as when he was in the backfield; only used him on 1 screen pass that i remember vs wmu and he took it for a 50 yd td; we're gonna use more screens this year

i agree with whoever said hes been knocked down too far; guess its what have you done for me lately

oh, and after the 1st game it was apparent he was goin pro after this year; he was hesitant in finding the hole in the line, and didnt show the same burst he did last year---runnin not to get hurt

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by lordquas View Post
                      what makes a good comparison then?

same size. same instincts. same receiving ability. same power.
                      faulks a 3rd down back.
                      slaton projects to be a 3rd down back.
                      1) how do you measure instincts?
                      2) not all 3rd down backs are the same

Comment

Steve Slaton = Darren Sproles, or even Warrick Dunn?
                        I see that more close than Kevin Faulk.

Comment

I don't really think it fits. Sure, they're both undersized, speedy guys projected as third-round backs, but so are half the backs in the draft. On the same grounds, I could compare Darren Sproles and Chris Johnson.

Slaton is short, but he's not really all that small - 197 pounds isn't bad for his size. And if you see him in person, he's fairly well built. While a capable receiver, he's not at Faulk's level, who is essentially a wideout who lines up in a backfield. Personally, I think Slaton might prove capable of taking 20-30 carries a game, because, well, he has. And though WVU ran the zone-read, they did line up with the QB under center fairly often and Slaton did run it up the middle, especially early on his career. While he'll probably end up a third-down back, don't underrate his abilities as a runner.

(edit)
                          I agree with the Warrick Dunn comparison.
                          Last edited by SKim172; 04-13-2008, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Yeah I've been throwing around this comparison for a while now. Slaton isn't going to be a situational player at the next level but he could excel in that role.

Wouldn't mind the Bills taking him with one of their 4ths.

Comment

I'd say Andre Callender is a better compare for Faulk, or Rafael Little.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information