Matthew Stafford, Qb Georgia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SenorGato View Post
    If Stafford stays for his senior year, he's the next Jay Cutler.

I really hope he doesn't come out actually. He's really improved, but why would he wanna give up his last year of freedom where he could improve and mature even more?

I hope none of the junior QBs declare. It'd suck for this years draft, but I really think QB's should stay all 4 years.
    Though this might be better for the teams that draft them and their NFL success, but its hard to argue against the signing bonuses they could receive. Especially with the a possible rookie salary limit, they are going to come out early.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
      Though this might be better for the teams that draft them and their NFL success, but its hard to argue against the signing bonuses they could receive. Especially with the a possible rookie salary limit, they are going to come out early.
      The limit might affect him, but I'd think a guy like Stafford would be smart enough to know that his family (probably) isn't poor and theres no need to rush into getting millions. Yes, the paycheck is big, but once you're a first round pick QB in the NFL, your life has to be dedicated to the game.

If Stafford's there as a player and a person already, then he should be smart enough to stay for his senior year.

At least I hope so...same for Sanchez.

The NFL is still a job. And being a first round pick at the QB position is a whooooole different monster as far as pressure and expectation. Junior QB's should really take that into account, because if they're just seeing dollar signs they're screwed.

Comment

• When you're projected to go that high you're nuts to not come out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Babylon View Post
          When you're projected to go that high you're nuts to not come out.
          Colt Brennan is your example.

Originally posted by Halsey
          I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turtlepower View Post
            I was thinking more of the injury factor but you make a good point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turtlepower View Post
              And Brian Brohm...
              And Brady Quinn...
              And Matt Leinart...

BoneKrusher

Comment

• If he stays and falls, the Bears might get him, WOOH!
                Bears fan

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Welcome to Project Mayhem

This was stolen, and I appreciate it.
                Jimmy Buckets <3

Comment

• No, he's definitly legit. He has prototype size, a little on the 6'2 side, sort of like Brian Brohm size. But his arm strength is very very good. His accuracy is good, but certainly could be worked on, but its definitly better than most if not all the senior QB prospects. His intangibles are what teams are gonna salivate over. Just like Matt Ryan or Philip Rivers, Matt Stafford is a leader who takes command of the huddle and takes the offense by the reigns and is looked up to by his team mates. He also has been starting scince his freshman year which in it of it self is a major accomplishment considering he plays for a major program in one of the toughest conferences the SEC. He also has very good athleticism considering that he is a pure pocket passer. He has the ability to make every throw, along with making tough throws on the move. So its not like he is a stationary target for opposing defenses.

I think he more than deserves to be the top QB prospect as of now. Of coarse things can change if someone like Josh Freeman or Mark Sanchez declare because of the talent and much higher ceiling. The potential for those two, Sanchez and Freeman, is off the charts. Freeman looks to be the next Duante Culpepper/ JaMarcus Russell and Sanchez looks to be the next Steve Young/ Jay Cutler. It really doesn't get much better than that. Stafford reminds me of a little less athletic Donovan McNabb. They both have the same builds and both have the same characteristics in the passing game. Sort of the shorter stockier build but with a tremendous arm along with very good accuracy. They also are team guys that command respect from their team mates and coaches.

Overall, the 2009 class is weak considering just the seniors, but the 2010 class looks off the charts. We could see 3 QBs taken in the top 10 and maybe even 4 in the top 15.

Comment

• Something people might now realize is Stafford has a 19-4 record as a starter in college. He has also lost 10 pounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by georgiafan View Post
                      Something people might now realize is Stafford has a 19-4 record as a starter in college. He has also lost 10 pounds.
                      As a Georgia fan, you should be able to appreciate it when I rephrase it as 'Georgia is 19-4 in the last three years' or whatever the time duration. Much like Ohio State or the Chicago Bears, sometimes the team wins not necessarily in spite of the quarterback, but by the virtue of everyone else's hard work. That's not to say Stafford is awful, just that I wouldn't attribute most of the credit for that record to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Race for the Heisman View Post
                        As a Georgia fan, you should be able to appreciate it when I rephrase it as 'Georgia is 19-4 in the last three years' or whatever the time duration. Much like Ohio State or the Chicago Bears, sometimes the team wins not necessarily in spite of the quarterback, but by the virtue of everyone else's hard work. That's not to say Stafford is awful, just that I wouldn't attribute most of the credit for that record to him.
                        I understand I didn't mean to make it sound like the only reason for the record is because of him.

Comment

• Originally posted by georgiafan View Post
                          I understand I didn't mean to make it sound like the only reason for the record is because of him.
                          I hope not considering obviously Moreno has been a much more valuable player than Stafford to that team. UGA is actually undefeated since Moreno became a starter.

But I admit Stafford does look improved this year. But still not #1 QB in an entire draft class right now. No way. That is all based on his hype out of HS.

Comment

• Whats even better than his 19-4 record, is his 25 starts going into the start of his junior season. Add another 10 starts, and you have a good 35 starts in college. Thats a ton of experience in the SEC.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by MarioPalmer View Post
                              No, he's definitly legit. He has prototype size, a little on the 6'2 side, sort of like Brian Brohm size. But his arm strength is very very good. His accuracy is good, but certainly could be worked on, but its definitly better than most if not all the senior QB prospects. His intangibles are what teams are gonna salivate over. Just like Matt Ryan or Philip Rivers, Matt Stafford is a leader who takes command of the huddle and takes the offense by the reigns and is looked up to by his team mates. He also has been starting scince his freshman year which in it of it self is a major accomplishment considering he plays for a major program in one of the toughest conferences the SEC. He also has very good athleticism considering that he is a pure pocket passer. He has the ability to make every throw, along with making tough throws on the move. So its not like he is a stationary target for opposing defenses.

I think he more than deserves to be the top QB prospect as of now. Of coarse things can change if someone like Josh Freeman or Mark Sanchez declare because of the talent and much higher ceiling. The potential for those two, Sanchez and Freeman, is off the charts. Freeman looks to be the next Duante Culpepper/ JaMarcus Russell and Sanchez looks to be the next Steve Young/ Jay Cutler. It really doesn't get much better than that. Stafford reminds me of a little less athletic Donovan McNabb. They both have the same builds and both have the same characteristics in the passing game. Sort of the shorter stockier build but with a tremendous arm along with very good accuracy. They also are team guys that command respect from their team mates and coaches.

Overall, the 2009 class is weak considering just the seniors, but the 2010 class looks off the charts. We could see 3 QBs taken in the top 10 and maybe even 4 in the top 15.
                              Dont see Freeman and Sanchez anywhere near the level of Stafford. Freeman was terrible last year in throwing down the field and decision making. Sanchez certainly can see his stock blowup with a big game against OSU but i still think Stafford is the clear favorite. Tebow would get some votes for the top signal caller but i think this site has it right in their mock having him going around the 10-12 range.

Comment

• tebow also needs also to learn that in the nfl you have to stand in the pocket and make throws. hes uncomfortable and inneffective in the pocket. he has happy feet and looks to tuck and run at every chance. vs miami, there were some awful throws. he doesnt handle the pressure well. and i hope no one thinks on sundays hat hell be bulldozing any nfl lbs or running past them. just not much as far as nfl qb skills go. stafford has a little more but not much. i think there are some half truths with regards to his throwing arm strength. much better than tebow for the nfl though.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information