Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matthew Stafford, Qb Georgia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I have never been a fan of his. When he is back there, he just doesn't look natural.
    Virginia Tech.
    ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

    Next Up: 2012

    Comment


    • John Parker Wilson ftw.

      Comment


      • I think this year is a big year for Stafford. It's still really early. I'm not sure it's exactly fair to judge his NFL future based off the stats of his Freshman season. Not many true freshman are going to succeed in the SEC. What is more important is his improvement. So what if he did struggle as a freshman? How many freshman QB's do you know that light it up in the premiere defensive conference?

        Like I said, his improvement is a lot more telling than his career TD:INT ratio. In his sophomore season he threw 12 more TD's and 3 less INT's than he did in his freshman season. So far this year he is off to a pretty good start. He didn't light up a tough South Carolina defense, but he was fairly efficient and mistake free. So far on this season he's completed 62% of his passes and has yet to throw an interception. Against a great South Carolina secondary he completed 60% of his passes and three or four of his incompletions were dropped passes.

        Comment


        • This is my little scouting report on Stafford:

          Stafford, Matthew (Ben Roethlisberger) – 4.65-4.70 – Stafford is more athletic than given credit for. His release is good but not great: it would not something that would be listed as one of his strengths, but it is not a weakness either (high but not particularly quick). He always keeps his head up and his eyes downfield, but his overall field vision is rather lacking (doesn’t see the whole field). His arm strength is fantastic and good enough to thread the needle or make throws when off-balance, in the air, or when his feet aren’t set. He is a slipstream scrambler with pretty good pocket presence, but his speed is more straight-line than anything else (not very shifty). He is very effective with pump fakes, which improves his ball security on throws where linebackers and safeties are playing in reactionary zones (Cover 2). His drops are a little bit short and choppy which may need work when he transitions to the NFL. When faced with a pass rush he is usually quite composed and doesn’t panic easily. As evidenced by his completion percentage, his accuracy and decision-making, two of the more important attributes for any quarterback, are not at an elite level. As of now (beginning of junior season) everything physically about Stafford is on an NFL level and he has an adequate TD:INT ratio (considering his freshman year a wash and observing the improvement in his sophomore season), but his completion percentage marks the biggest question about him. If he can complete over 60% of his passes this year he’ll have gone a little ways settled one of the biggest concerns critics have about him. His specific accuracy on short throws is not great, which is a concern. Furthermore, Stafford shows little touch on shorter throws, preferring to launch bullets at his receivers (at being the choice word because of his aforementioned accuracy on shorter throws). Those two issues are certainly reasons for his poor completion percentage, but in his defense his receivers drop an inordinate amount of passes, both short and long). He has a tendency to predetermine his throws, which is a problem. He does throw a great deep ball in terms of both power and accuracy.

          Value: Overall, the upper extent of Stafford's value as a mid-to-late first round pick. As long is the investment in him is not exorbitant, the potential he has is worth gambling on.

          This is of course right now, and it could certainly change.

          Comment


          • I would say he's at the same level as Troy Aikman at a similar stage. Remember when talking completion % keep in mind the talent level of his receivers.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Race for the Heisman View Post
              This is my little scouting report on Stafford:

              Stafford, Matthew (Ben Roethlisberger) – 4.65-4.70 – Stafford is more athletic than given credit for. His release is good but not great: it would not something that would be listed as one of his strengths, but it is not a weakness either (high but not particularly quick). He always keeps his head up and his eyes downfield, but his overall field vision is rather lacking (doesn’t see the whole field). His arm strength is fantastic and good enough to thread the needle or make throws when off-balance, in the air, or when his feet aren’t set. He is a slipstream scrambler with pretty good pocket presence, but his speed is more straight-line than anything else (not very shifty). He is very effective with pump fakes, which improves his ball security on throws where linebackers and safeties are playing in reactionary zones (Cover 2). His drops are a little bit short and choppy which may need work when he transitions to the NFL. When faced with a pass rush he is usually quite composed and doesn’t panic easily. As evidenced by his completion percentage, his accuracy and decision-making, two of the more important attributes for any quarterback, are not at an elite level. As of now (beginning of junior season) everything physically about Stafford is on an NFL level and he has an adequate TD:INT ratio (considering his freshman year a wash and observing the improvement in his sophomore season), but his completion percentage marks the biggest question about him. If he can complete over 60% of his passes this year he’ll have gone a little ways settled one of the biggest concerns critics have about him. His specific accuracy on short throws is not great, which is a concern. Furthermore, Stafford shows little touch on shorter throws, preferring to launch bullets at his receivers (at being the choice word because of his aforementioned accuracy on shorter throws). Those two issues are certainly reasons for his poor completion percentage, but in his defense his receivers drop an inordinate amount of passes, both short and long). He has a tendency to predetermine his throws, which is a problem. He does throw a great deep ball in terms of both power and accuracy.

              Value: Overall, the upper extent of Stafford's value as a mid-to-late first round pick. As long is the investment in him is not exorbitant, the potential he has is worth gambling on.

              This is of course right now, and it could certainly change.
              Good scouting report! +rep.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by P-L View Post
                Against a great South Carolina secondary he completed 60% of his passes and three or four of his incompletions were dropped passes.
                It was auctally worse then that 5 of the 10 incomplete were drops. TE Tripp Chandler droped 3, WR Kris Durham droped one, and WR Tavares King droped one. Two of Chandlers dropes would have been first down. Durham's pass would have been a TD. The two others would have prevented 3rd and long that we ended up punting on. Another thing thats hurt is the WR by committe that UGA does. Even though Massaquoi and A.J Green are the 2 best WR's on the field they don't see the field enough.
                Last edited by georgiafan; 09-14-2008, 04:58 PM.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by georgiafan View Post
                  It was auctally worse then that 5 of the 10 incomplete were drops. TE Tripp Chandler droped 3, WR Kris Durham droped one, and WR Tavares King droped one. Two of Chandlers dropes would have been first down. Durham's pass would have been a TD. The two others would have prevented 3rd and long that we ended up punting on. Another thing thats hurt is the WR by committe that UGA does. Even though Massaquoi and A.J Green are the 2 best WR's on the field they don't see the field enough.

                  All of what you said is accurate which makes it hard for the average fan to evaluate, scouts seem to take those things into consideration.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                    All of what you said is accurate which makes it hard for the average fan to evaluate, scouts seem to take those things into consideration.
                    Staffords stock is starting to remind me of of Matt Ryan's last year. Where the scouts are much higher on him then fans.

                    Comment


                    • Ok Stafford is a flat out stud! Reminds me exactly of Eli Manning as a JR at Mississippi in terms of his stock. People loved his potential but as a JR were not ready to say just how good he was. Stafford can make ALL the throws, what a ******* arm on that kid, wow! And now he can run the football and shows he has some athletic ability!

                      What is there not to like about him, and show me a better QB prospect with a better arm than him in college right now. Because there is no one!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                        Ok Stafford is a flat out stud! Reminds me exactly of Eli Manning as a JR at Mississippi in terms of his stock. People loved his potential but as a JR were not ready to say just how good he was. Stafford can make ALL the throws, what a ******* arm on that kid, wow! And now he can run the football and shows he has some athletic ability!

                        What is there not to like about him, and show me a better QB prospect with a better arm than him in college right now. Because there is no one!
                        Andrew Walter has a great arm too, and is tall.

                        Kyle Boller probably has a top five, top ten at worst, arm in football.
                        Virginia Tech.
                        ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

                        Next Up: 2012

                        Comment


                        • Incase anyone missed here are his highlights from Central Michigan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msZGZwdksYU

                          Also South Carolina has a excellent pass defense they finished 4th in the country last year and are off to another good start this year.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
                            Andrew Walter has a great arm too, and is tall.

                            Kyle Boller probably has a top five, top ten at worst, arm in football.
                            So does Cutler, Palmer and Rothelisberger.
                            "The system can never stop what's been set into motion,like volcanic eruptions on the floor of the ocean,my purpose is to burst through the surface emerse in the smoldering lava from verses surrounded by, Murder mami's (not bitches that's worthless) i cut chicken heads off (like hexes and curses),weapons i purchase make homeland security nervous, i run pockets & purses like subway searches under Masonic temples disguised as churches"- Immortal Technique

                            Comment


                            • The point is that a good arm doesn't make a QB.
                              Virginia Tech.
                              ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

                              Next Up: 2012

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
                                The point is that a good arm doesn't make a QB.
                                It's kind of like there are guys with 95 mph fastballs that are great pitchers and some stink.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information