No announcement yet.

Matthew Stafford, Qb Georgia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly the only thing I really know about him is that he went to Highland Park HS which is relatively close to my hometown about 30-40 mins probably. I know he had a great HS career but HP is an extremely wealthly and affluent community. I know it's unfair but I have to question any kids toughness that comes from that kind of environment. I just wonder if he'd have that burning desire to succeed in the NFL as opposed to a relatively poor kid from the ghetto. Having said that though I realize that that's really an unfair stereotype and he could in fact be incredibly tough and I hope he succeeds in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by dpl85 View Post
      Having said that though I realize that that's really an unfair stereotype and he could in fact be incredibly tough and I hope he succeeds in the NFL.
      Then why bother saying it?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by BrentN View Post
        Then why bother saying it?
        I don't know it's just a stupid theory I have that's got no real evidence lol. I'm sorry if you're from that area and offended that was certainly not my intent.

Comment

Originally posted by Yatta! View Post
          Interesting point, I can't see a first round senior QB atm but I think Painter/Harper/Cantwell could sneak in if they have good seasons. Which seven are you thinking of?
          Tim Tebow, Matthew Stafford, Curtis Painter, Hunter Cantwell, Cullen Harper and possibly Chase Daniel and Graham Harrell.

Thanks BoneKrusher! The Sig King!

Comment

Honestly the only thing I really know about him is that he went to Highland Park HS which is relatively close to my hometown about 30-40 mins probably. I know he had a great HS career but HP is an extremely wealthly and affluent community. I know it's unfair but I have to question any kids toughness that comes from that kind of environment. I just wonder if he'd have that burning desire to succeed in the NFL as opposed to a relatively poor kid from the ghetto. Having said that though I realize that that's really an unfair stereotype and he could in fact be incredibly tough and I hope he succeeds in the NFL.
            Chris Long was from a wealthy family (obviously) but everyone who knows him swears up and down that he has the desire and works about as hard as anyone and harder than most when it comes to football. Scouts must have thought so too because he was taken #2 overall last month.

Originally posted by fenikz
            His soft D really turns me off
            ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

Originally posted by Byrd430 View Post
              Tim Tebow, Matthew Stafford, Curtis Painter, Hunter Cantwell, Cullen Harper and possibly Chase Daniel and Graham Harrell.
              Deep down I know it won't happen but if Beockman developed just an ounce of real pocket presence and chose intelligently when to tuck it and run he could be in that conversation. Physically he's everything you'd want, although he is a tad old.

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                Mediocre play? 55.7% average per attempt, 13 yds per comp.,19 tds and 10 ints(that number needs to come down) with average receivers and going against some of the better secondaries in the country. Add to that the fact that they should have played USC in the Rose Bowl for a chance at a top 2 ranking in the country. I'd say way above average all things considered.
                That completion percentage is pretty weak, and very important. And that 13 ypc translates into 7.24 yards per attempt. His QB rating was 56th in the nation, his completion percentage was 94th, his ypa was 39th. The completion percentage is the most troubling. If you look at the David Lewin Projection system, for QBs who start 4 years and are early rounders, like Stafford will be, completion percentage is the single most valuable stat for projecting success at the NFL level. Anything below 60% should raise eyebrows.

Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
                The Destroyer Is Manifest!
                I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk

Comment

Originally posted by vidae-KC View Post
                  Chris Long was from a wealthy family (obviously) but everyone who knows him swears up and down that he has the desire and works about as hard as anyone and harder than most when it comes to football. Scouts must have thought so too because he was taken #2 overall last month.
                  Although I agree with your general premise that a person's socio-economic background may not be that valuable in assessing their football abilities, Chris Long is a bit of an exception since his father was a football player and one has to imagine that Howie was extremely tough with his sons.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonFireKai View Post
                    That completion percentage is pretty weak, and very important. And that 13 ypc translates into 7.24 yards per attempt. His QB rating was 56th in the nation, his completion percentage was 94th, his ypa was 39th. The completion percentage is the most troubling. If you look at the David Lewin Projection system, for QBs who start 4 years and are early rounders, like Stafford will be, completion percentage is the single most valuable stat for projecting success at the NFL level. Anything below 60% should raise eyebrows.
                    Jay Cutler was at the fringe of 60 both of his years as a starter at Vanderbilt--61% in '04 and 59.1% in '05. Peyton Manning also barely made a 60% completion percentage his senior year at 60.37%. McNabb was at 60.9% his senior year, Eli Manning was at 58%, Palmer was at 58% in 2001 and 54.9% in 2000.

All of these guys have been good to great QBs in the NFL.

The point with college statistics is that you really can't look just at the stats, but also at the system that is run. Spread and spread option offenses are really easy to rack up the completions without actually having to have great accuracy or vision. In a pro style offense, however, you're going to have a tough time getting better than a 60 or 62% completion percentage as we see with Cutler, both Mannings and Palmer.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

I don't know it's just a stupid theory I have that's got no real evidence lol. I'm sorry if you're from that area and offended that was certainly not my intent.
                      No, I wasn't offended. My parents live in DFW but not the Park Cities. I just think that when you discount all that you just wrote it seems pointless.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
                        Jay Cutler was at the fringe of 60 both of his years as a starter at Vanderbilt--61% in '04 and 59.1% in '05. Peyton Manning also barely made a 60% completion percentage his senior year at 60.37%. McNabb was at 60.9% his senior year, Eli Manning was at 58%, Palmer was at 58% in 2001 and 54.9% in 2000.

All of these guys have been good to great QBs in the NFL.

The point with college statistics is that you really can't look just at the stats, but also at the system that is run. Spread and spread option offenses are really easy to rack up the completions without actually having to have great accuracy or vision. In a pro style offense, however, you're going to have a tough time getting better than a 60 or 62% completion percentage as we see with Cutler, both Mannings and Palmer.
                        Have you actually read the Lewin Projection System? The idea is hinged on the assumption that with sufficient game film, scouts can accurately determine weather or not a player has the capacity to be an early round pick. So games started becomes a big factor. Players who start relatively few games tend to have their stock skewed upwards because the scouts haven't seen as much on them, so they get sold on "Upside". This along with completion percentage goes into the projection.

The result is a system that accurately predicted that Peyton Manning would be great, and that Ryan Leaf would be a failure. It's been pretty accurate for the most part.

Those players that you mentioned still had decent career completion percentages in college. Manning completed 62.5%, Palmer 59.1%, Eli Manning was at 60.8%, McNabb at 58.7%, and Cutler was at 57.2% despite being in the whipping boy of the SEC.

Right now, if Stafford weren't to have some sort of breakout year, and came out as a junior, he'd be sitting at a career percentage in the neighborhood of 54%, and only 35 games started. That would put him in the neighborhood of Jake Plummer or Shaun King. He needs to drastically improve his accuracy.

I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk

Comment

Originally posted by DragonFireKai View Post
                          Have you actually read the Lewin Projection System? The idea is hinged on the assumption that with sufficient game film, scouts can accurately determine weather or not a player has the capacity to be an early round pick. So games started becomes a big factor. Players who start relatively few games tend to have their stock skewed upwards because the scouts haven't seen as much on them, so they get sold on "Upside". This along with completion percentage goes into the projection.

The result is a system that accurately predicted that Peyton Manning would be great, and that Ryan Leaf would be a failure. It's been pretty accurate for the most part.

Those players that you mentioned still had decent career completion percentages in college. Manning completed 62.5%, Palmer 59.1%, Eli Manning was at 60.8%, McNabb at 58.7%, and Cutler was at 57.2% despite being in the whipping boy of the SEC.

Right now, if Stafford weren't to have some sort of breakout year, and came out as a junior, he'd be sitting at a career percentage in the neighborhood of 54%, and only 35 games started. That would put him in the neighborhood of Jake Plummer or Shaun King. He needs to drastically improve his accuracy.
                          I don't think anyone has said that Stafford, as he is, should be a top draft selection. The idea is that he has the tools, the potential to get it done in the same way that Carson Palmer really stepped up in his final seasons.

By the way, Stafford is also in the SEC playing at Georgia, the conference that is notoriously hard on passers as you mention with Cutler. And comparing Stafford's stats to Cutler's stats at the same time in their careers, they are eerily similar. Cutler's completion percentage through 2 seasons was a stellar 53.8%. He barely hit 7.0 in yards per attempt, and he had a 28:22 TD:INT ratio. Compared to Stafford who has a career completion percentage of 54.5%, 7.0 ypa, 26:23 TD:INT ratio. Palmer, through 2 full seasons, (using the same line) was 55.1/7.18/23:24.

Like I already said, no one is saying that Stafford would be the #1 pick with that kind of production, but he has the tools to overcome and it's not very uncommon for QBs to struggle their first two years--starting as true freshmen--and then finally realize their potential. To quote deangelo21:

Originally posted by d34ng3l021
                          He has some great physical ability and has the chance to put it all together this year with UGA. I see him breaking out this year with his WR corps getting better and moreno doing well as usual.
                          Originally posted by Yatta!
                          If he performs as expected this year he'll be the top QB, he'll get drafted in the top 3 imo.
                          It all depends on where he's at. He's progressing fine. It's normally in a QB's junior year that it finally starts to come together. He needs to make a jump, but it's not like his career is dead with his last 2 years. He's on track just fine.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
                            I don't think anyone has said that Stafford, as he is, should be a top draft selection. The idea is that he has the tools, the potential to get it done in the same way that Carson Palmer really stepped up in his final seasons.

By the way, Stafford is also in the SEC playing at Georgia, the conference that is notoriously hard on passers as you mention with Cutler. And comparing Stafford's stats to Cutler's stats at the same time in their careers, they are eerily similar. Cutler's completion percentage through 2 seasons was a stellar 53.8%. He barely hit 7.0 in yards per attempt, and he had a 28:22 TD:INT ratio. Compared to Stafford who has a career completion percentage of 54.5%, 7.0 ypa, 26:23 TD:INT ratio. Palmer, through 2 full seasons, (using the same line) was 55.1/7.18/23:24.

Like I already said, no one is saying that Stafford would be the #1 pick with that kind of production, but he has the tools to overcome and it's not very uncommon for QBs to struggle their first two years--starting as true freshmen--and then finally realize their potential. To quote deangelo21:

It all depends on where he's at. He's progressing fine. It's normally in a QB's junior year that it finally starts to come together. He needs to make a jump, but it's not like his career is dead with his last 2 years. He's on track just fine.
                            He's on track if he stays, if he jumps early, then it'll be the same situation with most QBs who don't have a lot of game film, they'll get their stock inflated by their potential, but never learn how to play properly. If he stays, and becomes more comfortable in the system, he could be fine. But if he stays, he also runs the risk of scuttling his draft stock by giving scouts a better idea of what he's capable of. I don't trust any QB who comes out early, because they so rarely pan out comparative to those who stayed.

And Cutler and Palmer's initial years are very bad comparisons, Southern Cal in 2000 and 2001 won 11 games total, and Vanderbilt won 11 games total in all four years of the Cutler regime. Georgia on the other hand, has averaged nearly 11 wins a season for the past 6 years. When you factor in the level of talent, Palmer and Cutler were substantially better than Stafford.

It's too early to tell anything about Stafford, aside from that he'll bear watching. But if he leaves after his junior year, he more likely than not, fail in the NFL.

Comment

He still hasn't had a 300 yard game yet.

That being said I think he will do well in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Self Rider View Post
                                He still hasn't had a 300 yard game yet.

That being said I think he will do well in the NFL.
                                That tends to happen when you run the ball as much as Georgia does. I wouldn't expect that to change much with Knowshon and Caleb King next season.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information