Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matthew Stafford, Qb Georgia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by georgiafan View Post
    As stated by many people on here he has all the potential but isn't a finished product. The completion % isn't a big deal for me, I've watched every one of his passes his career and the WR get no seperation at all from the DB. He also didn't pad his stats agianst weak teams or in OT like several SEC QB's last year. I thought his interceptions would hurt his stock, but with Matt Ryan going so high it might not. He started to grow as a QB last year with stuff like changing playsand leading game winning drives.
    Did you like his performance in the Sugar Bowl? Quite honestly, as a Hawaii fan, I hoped Georgia kept passing instead of running because Stafford wasn't a threat.

    Comment


    • #62
      He obviously needs to refine his tools some, but I like the kid. I think he will go top 3.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Byrd430 View Post
        Dam8610 was talking about Painter.

        But I actually like Painter. Yes, it's true that he hasn't produced on the same level against teams like Ohio State and Michigan. But these teams are way better than Purdue, so I don't completely hold Painter accountable.

        If your comparing him to Drew Brees, don't forget that Painter broke Brees' record by passing for almost 4,000 yards. That may be the Big Ten record too.

        Also, Painter has that size at 6'4 and 224 pounds, does have some accuracy although it can improve, and has some good arm strength. I think most scouts love his quick release too. Some have compared it to Tony Romo. So Painter obviously has a lot going for him, and with such a "weak" qb draft, Painter is definitely one of the top ones as of now.
        It was a rhetorical question.

        Comment


        • #64
          Some people might think I'm biased when it comes to QBs. I'm a Rutgers fan who didn't like Matt Ryan, a BC QB, big surprise. I didn't like Brady Quinn, an ND QB, either.

          But this, I plain don't like Stafford. And I'm actually kind of a Georgia fan. I'd rather have UGA win the SEC than any other team. And you know what - Stafford gave his team the best chance to lose any game. Simply put, he lost a lot of games for UGA, including games when all he had to do was hang in there. He makes bad decisions, has poor mechanics, bad accuracy, mediocre statistics (55% completion?) and he plays on a very good team.

          And don't give me crap about playing in a tough conference. If he can't complete 55% in the SEC, how do you expect him to complete 60% in the NFL? There have been a lot of QBs who have gone ahead of Stafford that competed and played very well in the SEC, or at least played better.

          Stafford will be 2009's anointed golden boy. Every scout in the country will fall in love with him and he may very well be the 1st overall pick. But there's at least 20 draft-eligible QBs I'd take over him.

          Graham Harrell, Chase Daniel and Curtis Painter should be the top QBs of next year's draft. They won't be.

          I'm just hoping my boy Mike Teel plays his way into a draft pick. Hell, first four rounds of the draft, he'll have done well - think he's projected as a UDFA at the moment.

          Comment


          • #65
            All of that stuff happened last season, I don't think any Stafford fan would say he would have been a first rounder last year. It's a projection of him improving, since you know, he's a sophomore. If Stafford struggles with decision making and accuracy he won't be the first overall pick, but people are expecting him to improve in that area. He has amazing physical skill and with refinement (again, go figure a sophomore QB being erratic) he can be the #1 overall pick.

            That is correct comahan
            I ******* LOVE YOU DG
            <3 dg

            Comment


            • #66
              Man. I am really excited to see Stafford in the Pros. I love his skillset and I see alot of improvement from his this season.

              "He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
                All of that stuff happened last season, I don't think any Stafford fan would say he would have been a first rounder last year. It's a projection of him improving, since you know, he's a sophomore. If Stafford struggles with decision making and accuracy he won't be the first overall pick, but people are expecting him to improve in that area. He has amazing physical skill and with refinement (again, go figure a sophomore QB being erratic) he can be the #1 overall pick.
                Yeah your nailed it if he improves as much this year as he did last year he will be a top 10 pick. Everyone knows he isn't a finished product and has some work to do. But they are a lot less questions this year then last and most predict that will continue.

                Here is a good article about Stafford vs Tebow http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8...eir-QB-rivalry
                Last edited by georgiafan; 05-15-2008, 12:51 PM.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by georgiafan View Post
                  Yeah your nailed it if he improves as much this year as he did last year he will be a top 10 pick. Everyone knows he isn't a finished product and has some work to do. But they are a lot less questions this year then last and most predict that will continue.

                  Here is a good article about Stafford vs Tebow http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8...eir-QB-rivalry
                  great article. i look forward to seeing Stafford play this season and their rivalry continue. I think I might become the biggest Stafford fan on this site soon enough.

                  And what if Stafford and Tebow both came out at the same time, and got drafted to teams in the same division? That would just be amazing.

                  "He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Stafford is very overrated right now.

                    How his stock is higher than Tebow's is a joke.


                    His mechanics are very poor at this point.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by BBIB View Post
                      Stafford is very overrated right now.

                      How his stock is higher than Tebow's is a joke.


                      His mechanics are very poor at this point.
                      Tim Tebow's game doesn't translate to the next level like Stafford's game does. Tebow has a wind up delivery and his abilitiy to make NFL type passes isn't there. Stafford has to tune his mechanics, but his ability to make NFL type throws, overall pocket presence, and upside make him a much more appealing prospect


                      Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by LarryJohnson27 View Post
                        How good of a prospect is this guy? Is he just a canidate for the top QB spot in next years draft just because the senior class is so weak at the position, or is he legit? I know he was considered the best player in the country comming out of high school by some.
                        As much as I've stated Matt Ryan is unprecedently overrated by the media, well just on the heels of hyping Ryan out of nowhere here comes the hype for Stafford.

                        IN Stafford's defense he was highly regarded out of HS and has better physical tools.

                        But that does not justify the hype he has right now.

                        His mechanics are terrible at this point and although his decision making has improved last year, he is far from a guy who should be getting top 5 overall hype.


                        2006
                        135/256
                        1749 yards (81st in nation)
                        52.7 comp percentage (97th in nation)
                        6.8 YPA (63rd in nation)

                        7 TDs (104th in nation)
                        13 INTs

                        108.99 passer rating (91st in natiscon)

                        2007
                        194/348
                        2523 yards (53rd in nation)
                        55.7 comp percentage (94th in nation)
                        7.3 YPA (39th in nation)

                        19 TDs (43rd in nation)
                        10 INT

                        128.92 passer rating (56th in nation)

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                          Tim Tebow's game doesn't translate to the next level like Stafford's game does. Tebow has a wind up delivery and his abilitiy to make NFL type passes isn't there. Stafford has to tune his mechanics, but his ability to make NFL type throws, overall pocket presence, and upside make him a much more appealing prospect
                          Matthew Stafford may have more arm strength but to say Tebow can't make NFL throws is absurd.

                          Exactly what route on the football field do you think Tebow can't complete?

                          The notion that his game doesn't translate is never backed up with any legit reason why he can't play there.

                          His delivery doesn't take any longer than someone like a Philip Rivers

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by georgiafan View Post
                            As stated by many people on here he has all the potential but isn't a finished product. The completion % isn't a big deal for me, I've watched every one of his passes his career and the WR get no seperation at all from the DB. He also didn't pad his stats agianst weak teams or in OT like several SEC QB's last year. I thought his interceptions would hurt his stock, but with Matt Ryan going so high it might not. He started to grow as a QB last year with stuff like changing playsand leading game winning drives.
                            Ryan's interceptions weren't due to bad accuracy necessarily. He threw so many attempts that of course his INTs were high, but he has very good passing accuracy. Stafford is a different story, he has a great arm but has very inconsistent accuracy.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by BBIB View Post
                              Matthew Stafford may have more arm strength but to say Tebow can't make NFL throws is absurd.

                              Exactly what route on the football field do you think Tebow can't complete?

                              The notion that his game doesn't translate is never backed up with any legit reason why he can't play there.

                              His delivery doesn't take any longer than someone like a Philip Rivers
                              Tebow can make the throws but has funny mechanics and has a really lengthy delivery which will hurt his draft stock a lot, and the fact that he looks great in the same offense that Alex Smith looked great in doesn't help either considering how "terrific" Smith has been. Tebow's problem is not his arm strength or his leadership, but rather his mechanics and accuracy and the question of whether or not he can be a pocket passer in the NFL taking snaps from under center and only running to make throws or when he has to like Steve Young did.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                i don't think the tebow/smith comparison is a fair one. tebows just bigger and more athletic all the way around.

                                and id rather have a great athlete who can win titles and run when things break down but has poor mechanics than the other way around. you can always reteach a throwing motion.....

                                and for the record, with all of my dislike of matt ryan, i like stafford more at this point

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information