Matthew Stafford, Qb Georgia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
    i don't think the tebow/smith comparison is a fair one. tebows just bigger and more athletic all the way around.

and id rather have a great athlete who can win titles and run when things break down but has poor mechanics than the other way around. you can always reteach a throwing motion.....

and for the record, with all of my dislike of matt ryan, i like stafford more at this point
    No you can't...thats why its such a big problem.

Changing a guys natural throwing motion is usually extremely hard because he's spent years throwing a certain way.

Iunno, Tebow's got alot of things to come over. Just not playing in a pro style offense will hurt him in teams eyes...playing in a pro style offense at the college level is vital to a young QB's development IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by SenorGato View Post
      No you can't...thats why its such a big problem.

Changing a guys natural throwing motion is usually extremely hard because he's spent years throwing a certain way.

Iunno, Tebow's got alot of things to come over. Just not playing in a pro style offense will hurt him in teams eyes...playing in a pro style offense at the college level is vital to a young QB's development IMO.
      ok well then ill rephrase. i'll take a great athlete who is a good leader and can win championships but has a bad throwing motion over a guy who has visa versa

Comment

ok well then ill rephrase. i'll take a great athlete who is a good leader and can win championships but has a bad throwing motion over a guy who has visa versa
        Troy Smith is another guy who had a bad motion but was athletic and a great leader. Of course he's not as big as Tebow (6-0 not 6-3) but they share reasons why they are not elite pro prospects. When comparing Smith and Tebow the only thing that there is comparing them is that they are both from Urban Meyer's spread that is not a good system to prepare you for the pros. Everyone loves a guy with good intangeables, but if you have a bad throwing motion then your chance of success in the NFL is not good at all.

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
          Troy Smith is another guy who had a bad motion but was athletic and a great leader. Of course he's not as big as Tebow (6-0 not 6-3) but they share reasons why they are not elite pro prospects. When comparing Smith and Tebow the only thing that there is comparing them is that they are both from Urban Meyer's spread that is not a good system to prepare you for the pros. Everyone loves a guy with good intangeables, but if you have a bad throwing motion then your chance of success in the NFL is not good at all.
          hasn't seemed to hurt phillip rivers or vince young too badly and i recall that they were both guys that had throwing motion question marks about them

there are worse things about a QB that a bad throwing motion (see: grossman, rex - everything about him)

Comment

Tebow's throwing motion isn't even that bad. It's nowhere near as low as VY's or Phil Rivers. He's got a decent release but his accuracy is very good, especially deep ball accuracy. He hits recievers in stride all the time with a beautiful deep ball.

Comment

So you are saying Stafford is not a great athlete (...okay? he is pretty damn mobile for his size and has a great arm). He doesnt have leadership abilities (I cant really tell as of now). Hasnt won a championship game (So...no Peyton Manning?)

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
                So you are saying Stafford is not a great athlete (...okay? he is pretty damn mobile for his size and has a great arm). He doesnt have leadership abilities (I cant really tell as of now). Hasnt won a championship game (So...no Peyton Manning?)
                Yea, Stafford is really athletic, people forget that he can run the football too. His 40 time will be around 4.6-4.7. Just because he doesn't run much doesn't mean he can't.

Comment

no no no, not what i was saying at all. that had nothing to do with stafford.

i was just saying that if the throwing motion was the only know against a guy who had all that other stuff, id take him in a heartbeat if i needed a QB

Comment

Throwing motion is one of the most important things in a QB. It makes all the difference. A long wind up not only allows DE's to get to the QB quicker and strip the ball, but it also gives the DBs a seconds heads up on where the QB is throwing it. Sure it doesnt seem that bad, but you add up all the pass attempts, and that bad windup can cause alot of mistakes.

Look at Byron Leftwich. Look at Andre Woodson.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Throwing motion is one of the most important things in a QB. It makes all the difference. A long wind up not only allows DE's to get to the QB quicker and strip the ball, but it also gives the DBs a seconds heads up on where the QB is throwing it. Sure it doesnt seem that bad, but you add up all the pass attempts, and that bad windup can cause alot of mistakes.

Look at Byron Leftwich. Look at Andre Woodson.
                      look at phillip rivers. look at vince young.

its not a be all end all, there are far worse things id worry about a QB having wrong with them (see: Grossman, Rex - everything about him)

Comment

Tebow's throwing motion isn't even bad why are you guys bringing it up?

Comment

look at phillip rivers. look at vince young.

its not a be all end all, there are far worse things id worry about a QB having wrong with them (see: Grossman, Rex - everything about him)
                          Rivers and Young have very quick side arm releases. Tebow has an awkward slow release.

That is correct comahan
                          I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                          <3 dg

Comment

hasn't seemed to hurt phillip rivers or vince young too badly and i recall that they were both guys that had throwing motion question marks about them

there are worse things about a QB that a bad throwing motion (see: grossman, rex - everything about him)
                            Both Rivers and Young don't have slow releases, just unconventinal ones.

Tebow's is just long...similar to Leftwich or Andre Woodson...not to their level and obviously things might change this year...but it's still a very legit knock on him as a pro QB prospect.
                            Last edited by SenorGato; 05-18-2008, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
                              Rivers and Young have very quick side arm releases. Tebow has an awkward slow release.
                              Tebow's release is a bit awkward but it isn't slow by any means. It's not the fastest but it's decent

Comment

Tebow's release is on the slow side, but he has room to cut time off his release without throwing off his general motion. I'm really high on the guy but he isn't going to take over right away as a passer as he learns the scheme.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information