Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can you say its fine?

He takes so long to wind up.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
      How can you say its fine?

He takes so long to wind up.
      Is there a reason why you posted a pic of JaMarcus Russell fondling himself in a topic about Matt Stafford?

Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
      The Destroyer Is Manifest!
      I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk

Comment

• Originally posted by BBIB View Post
        Tebow's throwing motion is fine. The idea that his throwing motion is something fallacious just repeated over and over again until it's blindly accepted as fact.

Kind of like the stock of Matt Ryan and Matt Stafford.
        The intelligence of this thread just dropped. Sharply. It's time for a lesson.

The best QBs in the NFL usually have nice tight natural throwing motions. It lets him get the ball away quickly. Why would he want to do that? Under pressure, he needs to be able to deliver the ball. It's often the difference between a TD and a sack. Next, it doesn't allow the linemen to get those paws up and bat down the ball. Third, if the defense is playing zone, they're going to be watching the QB. A sudden release doesn't allow ballhawks to get to the ball fast enough to make the play.

Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, etc. They release the ball suddenly. Then there's Byron Leftwich. Two things have killed his career: that throwing motion, and injuries. However, Leftwich can gun it. He may be able to get away with that motion from time to time because of the velocity he puts on the ball. Tebow, on the other hand, doesn't get near as much zip on the ball even with that motion. Granted, Tebow's motion is not as bad as that of Leftwich, but it's still quite ugly.

Besides the motion, there are clearly other knocks on this guy. The fact that he plays in an Urban system alone scares the living crap out of me, and tons of scouts across the country. Also, there's his dependence on his running ability, his use of power when running the ball, his inability to throw on the run, his spotty accuracy, his ugly ball, and his questionable footwork.

BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by DragonFireKai View Post
          Is there a reason why you posted a pic of JaMarcus Russell fondling himself in a topic about Matt Stafford?
          Haha my bad. That was for a topic about Matt Ryan actually. It was supposed to be Tim Tebow throwing, but Staubach covered it nicely.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by BBIB View Post
            Tebow's throwing motion is fine. The idea that his throwing motion is something fallacious just repeated over and over again until it's blindly accepted as fact.

Kind of like the stock of Matt Ryan and Matt Stafford.
            His release is way too slow. Hardly fine.

Comment

• staff is da boss

hes going to be a man next year and I hope he goes to a team where he'll start right away

Comment

• Originally posted by da boss View Post
                staff is da boss

hes going to be a man next year and I hope he goes to a team where he'll start right away
                By the reflexive property, can we assume that you are in fact Matthew Stafford?

sig by BoneKrusher

Originally posted by BuckNaked
                Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by SKim172 View Post
                  This is true. Having poor receivers does affect QB play. Same with a poor team.

But on the flip side, there have been plenty of quarterbacks with worse receivers on worse teams that have played at the same level or higher than Stafford.

And looking to the future, there are plenty of NFL teams that are pretty bad too. Yes, pro offenses are better than college, but pro defenses are better too. What's to say that a QB would improve any? If he can't complete 60% with bad college receivers, will he complete 60% with bad pro receivers?

How much of that 55% completion is the fault of the receivers? More importantly, how much of it is the fault of the quarterback? Since we're talking a projected top 5-10 pick, how safe is it to take him that high? With very little exception, all the greats of the NFL were great college players, with great college numbers. It's not often that an underachiever in college becomes a star in the pros.

Casey Dick from Arkansas played against the SEC defenses too. Except he didn't benefit from especially great defense or offensive line. His receivers weren't all too special. He had a great trio of running backs, same as Stafford. But, Dick still had 57% completion, 18 TDs, 10 picks, albeit with a lot less yardage. But then again, he played in a predominantly run-based offense that didn't give him a lot of attempts and mostly asked him to make short passes, not long ones.

See, it's easy to make excuses. But can we honestly say that we would have no qualms about taking Casey Dick in the first 5 picks and that if he had a better team to play with, he'd be a better quarterback?

Hence, my suspicions about Stafford.

I do wish him well. He'll need a great season to get my vote. Though I'm sure he'll be drafted high anyways - the scouts have fallen in love with him. He's a prototypical quarterback with all the physical tools, he's from the SEC, he's a starter for a national title candidate and he's very white. Little yapping dogs like me spouting out numbers and statistics will not stop this massive bandwagon.
                  A pro offense can hide a guy like Stafford's faults.

His completion percentage sucks when his receivers suck? Get him good receivers. Theres a quality NFL receiver on almost every team.

Comment

• Originally posted by adschofield View Post
                    By the reflexive property, can we assume that you are in fact Matthew Stafford?

I'm not Stafford nor am I a Georgia fan. I like this guy and think he has the tools to be an NFL QB. Im a big Gator fan and Tebow but if it was my NFL team deciding between the two I'd go with Stafford.

Comment

• Originally posted by da boss View Post
                      I'm not Stafford nor am I a Georgia fan. I like this guy and think he has the tools to be an NFL QB. Im a big Gator fan and Tebow but if it was my NFL team deciding between the two I'd go with Stafford.
                      Lies.

Let's examine the facts, shall we?

"Stafford is da boss"

By the Reflexive Property, Da Boss is Stafford...Don't try to weasel your way out of this one, Mr. Stafford.

sig by BoneKrusher

Originally posted by BuckNaked
                      Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by adschofield View Post
                        Lies.

Let's examine the facts, shall we?

"Stafford is da boss"

By the Reflexive Property, Da Boss is Stafford...Don't try to weasel your way out of this one, Mr. Stafford.
                        Im caught

signed

- Matt "Da Boss" Stafford

Comment

• Matthew Stafford is a Gator fan?

As for the bad completion percentage, let's not base it totally on the fact that he's got bad receivers.

He still throws off his back foot at times which is almost no-no number one with quarterbacks. Furthermore, I think he still has to refine some of the throws that he makes on certain routes, namely the 15-20 yard crossing routes his receivers run. I also don't think he's been able to really understand what defenses are being thrown at him and seems to struggle when calling audibles.

However, all these are quite fixable, and his upside is very attractive. He has the physical tools, he just has to refine how he uses them.

I'm also waiting on him to have that one spotlight game. I haven't seen one yet.

Thanks BoneKrusher! The Sig King!

Comment

• Originally posted by Byrd430 View Post
                            Matthew Stafford is a Gator fan?

As for the bad completion percentage, let's not base it totally on the fact that he's got bad receivers.

He still throws off his back foot at times which is almost no-no number one with quarterbacks. Furthermore, I think he still has to refine some of the throws that he makes on certain routes, namely the 15-20 yard crossing routes his receivers run. I also don't think he's been able to really understand what defenses are being thrown at him and seems to struggle when calling audibles.

However, all these are quite fixable, and his upside is very attractive. He has the physical tools, he just has to refine how he uses them.

I'm also waiting on him to have that one spotlight game. I haven't seen one yet.
                            You are accurate, the only thing I see diffrently is calling audibles. He didn't have the freedom to do it until the middle of the year and seemed to do a good job espically late in the year.
                            Last edited by georgiafan; 06-01-2008, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• Matt Stafford reminds me of Tony Romo with maybe a little bigger arm.

Comment

• His mobility may be a little less than Romo's but I dont think he has the pocket presence of Romo. Stafford's arm and deep ball are alot better. Stafford also has good mechanics while Romo's may be unorthodox. Romo also has better accuracy I would say.

Stafford reminds me of Palmer.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information