No announcement yet.

Matthew Stafford, Qb Georgia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Stafford has pretty good pocket presence, and I'll also praise him on ball security while he's in the pocket.

Some players can get away with bad pocket presence as long as he can hold on to the football and not turn it over. Stafford's presence is good and he doesn't turn the ball over so that's another double plus on Stafford's part.

Thanks BoneKrusher! The Sig King!

Comment

• That doesnt make sense. How can you get away from bad pocket presence if you hold onto the football and not turn it over? Does that mean just taking sacks all the time? It would make sense if you said you can get away with bad pocket presence if you get rid of the ball quickly...but you didnt.

And Stafford does turn the ball over alot. He throws a pick ever 34.8 passes...about the same as Matt 'Turnover' Ryan. And he has had some fumbling issues if I remember correctly?

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
        That doesnt make sense. How can you get away from bad pocket presence if you hold onto the football and not turn it over? Does that mean just taking sacks all the time? It would make sense if you said you can get away with bad pocket presence if you get rid of the ball quickly...but you didnt.

And Stafford does turn the ball over alot. He throws a pick ever 34.8 passes...about the same as Matt 'Turnover' Ryan. And he has had some fumbling issues if I remember correctly?
        I think it has been established the Ryan's turnover ratio is about equivalent to any of the other top college quarterbacks, so that point is moot.

Comment

• People still knock on him for forcing the ball too much and turning it over.

Weaknesses:
          Arm strength is only average...Still throws too many interceptions...Accuracy can be streaky...Struggles with the deep ball...A bit of a gunslinger who will play too recklessly at times...Not very mobile and won't beat you with his feet...May have some minor durability issues...Isn't a great athlete...May not have a huge upside.
          But if people do think that Ryan doesnt throw too many picks, then I have to give myself and others a pat on the back.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

That doesnt make sense. How can you get away from bad pocket presence if you hold onto the football and not turn it over? Does that mean just taking sacks all the time? It would make sense if you said you can get away with bad pocket presence if you get rid of the ball quickly...but you didnt.

Not what I meant, but I see how you drew that conclusion from what I said.

Perhaps I should've said it was less damaging if you don't turn the ball over. But would you rather your QB take a sack as opposed to turning the ball over? Now to get to my real point, I think it's easier to teach a guy how to avoid the sack rather than how not to throw interceptions.

As for the interception point, I completely agree, but it doesn't have anything to do with the pocket presence he has. It's more to do with his accuracy, his throws on certain pass routes, and throwing off his back foot from time to time. And yes, you can also attribute it to receivers who don't get much separation from the DB.

Thanks BoneKrusher! The Sig King!

Comment

Originally posted by Rjspartan View Post
              Matt Ryan averaged an interception about every 34 passes.
              Brain Brohm averaged an interception about every 39 passes.
              Joe Flacco averaged an interception about every 104 passes.
              Chad Henne averaged an interception about every 30 passes.
              Andre Woodson averaged an interception about every 47 passes.
              John David Booty averaged an interception about every 34 passes.
              Colt Brennan averaged an interception about every 30 passes.

you can see that most of them are about the same.

all stats from the 2007 season.
              Here's the actual stats to back it up, I was too lazy to find it earlier. I'm not necessarily saying Stafford is good as gold I'm justing making a point that up to this point he's on par with the collegiate level's better quarterbacks.

Comment

• Well I am not going to argue that Matt Ryan throws alot of interception, because I have previously argued that his attempts per interception is a bad ratio, but with Stafford it can still be worked on.

I know he is young, but with Ryan, his senior season with a pick for every 34 attempts was his worst (sans freshmen year). The season before, he threw a pick every 42 passes. The season before that, he threw a pick ever 39 attempts. The season before that, in his freshmen year, he threw a pick every 23 attempts.

For Stafford its different. We really have to see more of his play, because he got thrown into the fire real early.

Wait what the hell. I am one of Stafford's biggest supporters and one of Ryan's biggest homers.

Comment

• Stafford is nearly on the same level as Mark Sanchez.
                  Can both be good top 10 picks prolly, but not this year, because they are still young and still need to work on things an get experience

Comment

• Originally posted by Byrd430 View Post
                    I'm also waiting on him to have that one spotlight game. I haven't seen one yet.
                    I agree with everything this guy says.

And yes, I'm also looking for Stafford's one big game, the game where he personally leads the team to victory.

Come to think of it, I'm hoping for the same from my boy, Mike Teel from Rutgers.

BTW, just completely off-topic here, but does it seem like every QB lately has a monosyllabic first name of four characters or less?

Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Chad Henne, John Booty, Colt Brennan...

Now, it's Matt Stafford, Tim Tebow, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, Mike Teel, Todd Reesing...

Comment

• Alex Smith never threw picks in coll.

Just tell me he is greatness so I can have hope when we draft him #1. When we got Smith it was 50/50 from day 1.

Comment

• Originally posted by ViperVisor View Post
                        Alex Smith never threw picks in coll.

Just tell me he is greatness so I can have hope when we draft him #1. When we got Smith it was 50/50 from day 1.
                        You'd be better of with journeymen until you get some key pieces into place. I don't know how the team feels about Staley as a left tackle, but say Oher this year, plus someone like Robiskie at the top of the second to prepare for the QB class of 2010.

Comment

• Its still early in the season, we will see how it goes for him. From the VERY little I saw, he has high above average arm strength, solid placement, and decent decision making.
                          Bears fan

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Welcome to Project Mayhem

This was stolen, and I appreciate it.
                          Jimmy Buckets <3

Comment

• He has got a lot better in changing plays at the line of scrimmage. This week he said he changed plays more then he ever has. It's still very early, but it appears like he has improved on his 2 biggest weakness with 0 interceptions and 63 % comp.
                            Last edited by georgiafan; 09-08-2008, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• I would stay away from Tim Tebow in the first round. An Urban Meyer offense just doesn't produce a quality starting NFL quarterback.

Comment

• If Stafford stays for his senior year, he's the next Jay Cutler.

I really hope he doesn't come out actually. He's really improved, but why would he wanna give up his last year of freedom where he could improve and mature even more?

I hope none of the junior QBs declare. It'd suck for this years draft, but I really think QB's should stay all 4 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information