Mini camp surprises

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini camp surprises

Anyone getting the big write-up unexpectedly?

NY Giants UDFA DJ Hall has had one writer going gaga.

...Hall made several outstanding catches, including one leaping, fully stretched grab along the sidelines in the afternoon. A few times he had to leap to make the catch and not only did, but seemed to hit the ground and keep moving without missing a stride. He was smooth, he had good hands and at 6-2, 195, has decent size. On any other team, Id say he was a free-agent steal...

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/
    Eli rules!

DJ Hall should of been drafted, so thats not even surprising to me, it was more surprising seeing him go undrafted in the first place.

I would mention Orlando Scandrick as he has impressed consistently, but he was expected to be a high pick anyway, but Danny Amendola has been the UDFA WR from Tech who has all the beat writers raving.

Catch this - I think everyone who watched Danny Amendola was impressed. He positively owned Mike Jenkins in one-on-ones, ran sharp routes, was able to separate on a consistent basis, and catches everything. Now, here's the thing; He's small and he isn't as quick as the man he's most often compared to - Wes Welker. What that means is he will have to show that ability to get separation, real separation against experienced NFL defensive backs, which is a must for a shorter receiver. He's off to a good start.

Danny Amendola: We could go with second-round TE Martellus Bennett or fourth-round RB Tashard Choice, who both had solid minicamps. But I'm thinking folks want to read about an undrafted dude with a chance to make the cut. Amendola, a proud Wes Welker wannabe from Texas Tech, has the best shot. Just ask Jenkins, who got beat a bunch by Amendola during the four practices. "He's real quick -- a great receiver," Jenkins said. "He's got great speed breaks and is real decisive. He's tough to cover."

It is noteworthy that Jerry would single out an undrafted guy like Amendola, who beat Jenkins one-on-one at least three times and caught everything thrown his way.
    "He's real refined," Jerry said of the Wes Welker wannabe. "He really runs routes well, and he's got that quickness. He does and will separate. He will be able to separate in the NFL."

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...-minicamp.html

He's been the little known star of mini camp according to reports, sounds like everyone is really high on him...They might be overblowing the "owning" of Jenkins a little bit, they are working Jenkins more off the ball right now, he is excellent in bump and run and man to man which we will ask him to do alot, but we want him to be more versatile in all aspects and that's where he needs some work as of now.
    Last edited by LonghornsLegend; 05-10-2008, 02:10 PM.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

DJ Hall will probably make it at least on our Practice Squad, maybe 5th or 6th WR.

1. Plax
      2. Toomer
      3. Smith
      4. Manningham
      5. DJ Hall
      6. David Tyree

thats how i think it should be, but Sinorice Moss might actually do something this season.

Comment

Originally posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
        DJ Hall will probably make it at least on our Practice Squad, maybe 5th or 6th WR.

1. Plax
        2. Toomer
        3. Smith
        4. Manningham
        5. DJ Hall
        6. David Tyree

thats how i think it should be, but Sinorice Moss might actually do something this season.
        Why do you think two rookies will play more then Tyree who actually came on strong last year and is more experienced and ready to contribute then two rookies would be...At least in the short term.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
          Why do you think two rookies will play more then Tyree who actually came on strong last year and is more experienced and ready to contribute then two rookies would be...At least in the short term.
          Tyree isnt consistant, he doesnt have a great deal of experience as a WR. He's a great special teamer, but i just dont think he could be consistant enough for us.

Manningham as a #4 is pretty ideal because we already have two very good possesion starters, a developing go to slot reciever in Steve Smith, and with manningham we'd get that explosive deep threat that stretches the field. Tyree is a smaller possesion reciever who is fast but doesnt utilize his speed well, also his hands are blah really.

DJ Hall i might be being generous there to him, but he finds a way to get the ball and makes plays, gets things done. Which is much more than i can say for Sinorice. Hall is the better reciever, Tyree may be the better player.

Comment

Amendola has been very surprising. I would love to see him make the team.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Malik Jackson and Sam Keller have been making waves at Oakland's rookie minicamp, and Michael Bush has been drawing praise from every single report I read.

Comment

The Giants need to share some of that WR love with the Titans.
                Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                RIP themaninblack

Comment

Kevin Smith is looking like our opening day starter.
                  I'm a state.

Comment

dont know how much of a surprise this is or not but i just read a little bit ago that oneil cousins was getting LT reps with the first team in a rotation. went from mid round guard prospect to starting LT possibly? wild....

dunno why i was reading about the ravens but i found it interesting

Comment

I'm not surprised by Hall, Amendola, or Cousins, to be honest.

I thought Cousins was one the more intriguing guards because of the thought of him playing left tackle (Branden Albert before Branden Albert got a hype train) and I'm not sure where he went but I thought he was one of the second-tier offensive tackles with along Duane Brown and Anthony Collins.

Amendola always impressed me whenever I watched him. He's probably got fourth round measurables if I can even say that, and everything else, the production, the desire, and the character are all there.

Hall was probably more of a character issue guy and maybe some timed speed issues; no big surprise that he's good.

Comment

Anthony Collins has looked like a stud

Comment

Originally posted by AkiliSmith View Post
                          Anthony Collins has looked like a stud
                          Ya he's been talked about a lot. I can't believe we got him that late.

^A Bonekrusher production^
                          Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

Also Davone Bess has impressed nearly everyone at Miami minicamps, he looks like he might end up being their slot WR...His 40 is the only thing that dropped him, he catches everything and has great field awareness, he also runs well after the catch.

Comment

Lorenzo Booker has been doing great for the Eagles. Apparently he is slated to win the #2 spot.
                              Winston Justice played RT w/ the first team last sunday.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information