Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

could a new CBA prompt more juniors to declare?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could a new CBA prompt more juniors to declare?

I know there was 50 or juniors declared for the 2008 draft and I expecting much the same next year.

I have been considering the CBA agreement,

One of the major sticking points that both owners and players have is the high money being paid to top draft picks compered to top veterans.

There is still alot of work to be done with a new CBA; but the earliest it could probably come into effect is 2010; that is assuming there is some agreement later this year or early next year.

It seems likely that any new CBA will include some kind on limit on rookie salaries. If that happens (or even people believe it may happen), could this prompt more rookies than ususual to declare for the 2009 draft (and try and cash in on the current situation)?

Brilliant thinking. No sarcasm, I'm serious.
    This awaited CBA deal will force more juniors to leave this year....its that simple, you have already stated why. Unless the players are confident that a deal won't be done.
    Last edited by Bruce Banner; 06-23-2008, 11:20 PM.

Comment

New CBA should be just like the NBA. And i'm serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Hwoarang View Post
        For sure. Think about it. The #1 pick of the NBA draft makes pennies (compared to the stars), and the rest of the drafted players make pennies. What makes it genius is that these contracts allow for an extension heading into the third or fourth year. It is a system that forces top picks and low picks alike to push themselves towards success...and that second contract. Then the second contract has an opt out clause that allows the players to opt out in their prime and get the last major deal of their careers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hwoarang View Post
          the nfl owners would never accept the nba's cba as a mirror for the nfl. i don't see them wanting players having guaranteed contracts anytime soon.
          Drink apple juice, cause OJ will kill you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokie_Pokie08 View Post
            the nfl owners would never accept the nba's cba as a mirror for the nfl. i don't see them wanting players having guaranteed contracts anytime soon.
            I think he meant rookie structure.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Banner View Post
              For sure. Think about it. The #1 pick of the NBA draft makes pennies (compared to the stars), and the rest of the drafted players make pennies. What makes it genius is that these contracts allow for an extension heading into the third or fourth year. It is a system that forces top picks and low picks alike to push themselves towards success...and that second contract. Then the second contract has an opt out clause that allows the players to opt out in their prime and get the last major deal of their careers.
              The problem in this structure is that players get hurt in football way more, since they only earn that much a early career ending injury would sent even top picks in financial trouble, something I think needn't be the case. I'd suggest the same plan as you have but with a substantial draft position bonus

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
              - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
              - Corner or Wideout in the first
              - No reaching
              - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

Originally posted by wicket View Post
                The problem in this structure is that players get hurt in football way more, since they only earn that much a early career ending injury would sent even top picks in financial trouble, something I think needn't be the case. I'd suggest the same plan as you have but with a substantial draft position bonus
                1. Then leave as a senior after you get a degree. A decent backup plan. (preferably not in communication or sociology)
                2. The bonus should be the same for every player at every round and pick. The whole point of the draft should be getting the players' rights and talents. No financial implications should have to be compensated for. This makes the players earn their salaries instead of being instantly rewarded for their college production, which might not translate at all.

Comment

I think he meant rookie structure.
                  the player's union would never agree to a rookie cap unless the contracts became guaranteed. it is a see-saw and to arrive at a balance (nba cba) both points would have to be met; the rookie cap and guaranteed contracts.
                  Drink apple juice, cause OJ will kill you.

Comment

Originally posted by wicket View Post
                    Oh come on. First round picks will still make millions in bonus money. Just not as much.

So, in your way of thinking, every single player drafted should get at least a million, so if they get injured and have to leave the nfl, they have support? I'm sorry, but that's just stupid. No one is pointing a gun to these guys heads, they don't have to go into the NFL before they get their degree, etc. It sucks, but injuries happen, and you can't be making contracts expecting players to get career ending injuries.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Comment

(preferably not in communication or sociology)
                      every school has an easy degree like those. my school has "Ag Leadership", for example.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Also, I don't think this will lead to more juniors declaring. I could see more of the top juniors declaring, but I don't see more juniors all together declaring. This is because any sort of limit on rookie contracts will likely just effect the top draft picks. Outside of the 1st round, the contracts are pretty reasonable.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Comment

Well without a new CBA, starting in 2010 players will have to have served 6 accrued seasons before becoming unrestricted free agents (as opposed to 4 seasons in the current system).

So does that push juniors to declare earlier, to get one year closer to FA? Maybe, but I don't think it will be a drastic shift. Not that many juniors are ready for the league.

(I am sure the league and the players association will at least come to an agreement in terms of continuing the Draft, plus a rookie contract scale of some sort. But I do think a new CBA will come.)
                          Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

I think any junior who has a half-decent change to make the first would declare IF there was a fixed salary system.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                            don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

As it stands, most of the juniors who are threats to go in the top 20 declare anyway. But beyond that, the people who would be most likely to advise college juniors on declaring early are agents, someone that the juniors couldn't officially be in contact with until they've already declared.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information