Vontae Davis vs. Malcolm Jenkins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vontae Davis vs. Malcolm Jenkins

What do you guys think sets them apart? I like both of them and I hope we can land one of them this coming draft. Do you think they are shutdown corners? Which would you choose and who do you think would be a better NFL corner?
    Last edited by toddmlazarchick; 09-05-2008, 12:10 PM.

2011 FA: FS - OJ Atogwe
    2011 Draft Picks: Ryan Kerrigan-OLB-Purdue, Jarvis Jenkins-DE-Clemson, Leonard Hankerson-WR-Miami, Roy Helu-RB-Nebraska, DeJon Gomes-CB/S-Nebraska, Niles Paul-WR-Nebraska, Evan Royster-RB-Penn State, Aldrick Robinson-WR-SMU, Brandyn Thompson-CB-Boise State, Maurice Hurt-OG-Florida, Markus White-OLB-Florida State, Chris Neild-NT-West Virginia

Originally posted by toddmlazarchick View Post
    What do you guys think sets them apart? I like both of them and I hope we can land one of them this coming draft. Do you think they are shutdown corners? Which would you choose and who do you think would be a better NFL corner?
    Great debate topic. Seriously.

Vontae Davis is a better athlete than football player right now. That's not to say he's not a good football player, but he relies more on his athleticism compared to his actual football talent. Much like his brother Vernon, he is an unbelievable athlete and will own the Combine. He's a physical specimen for sure. He lacks the polish that Malcolm Jenkins has.

Jenkins doesn't have quite the physical traits that Davis does, but right now, he's a better and more consistent cornerback. Jenkins is actually very good in man coverage, though you don't see it too often because of Ohio State's zone-heavy scheme. He is significantly more polished than Davis and probably more ready to play right away in the NFL. He also has dabbled at free safety in some nickel packages last year, but will play corner exclusively this year.

I personally take Davis ahead of Jenkins not just because of his potential, but in limited reps, he has shown exceptional return skills. I like Jenkins better at corner but Davis' return skills may make him go higher. That and his potential.

Comment

Well. Sniper basically covered it all. Thanks a lot.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

This will definitely be a very hot topic to debate all season long and leading up to the draft. As for analysis Sniper stole all the spotlight. Great job .

Comment

Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
          Sorry, it's been a hotly debated issue, so I had previous material to refer to.

Comment

My biggest concern with Davis is his potential. It seems that his brother was a sure fire couldn't miss prospect and he still isn't one of the best TEs in the league. Im concerned with picking Davis, he will pan out the same way. Its one thing to be a workout warrior but having it transition on the field is another thing.

2011 Draft Picks: Ryan Kerrigan-OLB-Purdue, Jarvis Jenkins-DE-Clemson, Leonard Hankerson-WR-Miami, Roy Helu-RB-Nebraska, DeJon Gomes-CB/S-Nebraska, Niles Paul-WR-Nebraska, Evan Royster-RB-Penn State, Aldrick Robinson-WR-SMU, Brandyn Thompson-CB-Boise State, Maurice Hurt-OG-Florida, Markus White-OLB-Florida State, Chris Neild-NT-West Virginia

Comment

My biggest concern with Davis is his potential. It seems that his brother was a sure fire couldn't miss prospect and he still isn't one of the best TEs in the league. Im concerned with picking Davis, he will pan out the same way. Its one thing to be a workout warrior but having it transition on the field is another thing.
              Vernon's been in the league for two years. How many players are one of the best at their position after two years? Very few.

Comment

Jenkins' general inexperience in man coverage worries me more than anything, and even then that's mostly in regards to eventual stock. He's great in zone coverage, but most teams don't regard that as nearly as important, or at least not as worth a pick in the top half of the first round.

Both players are top notch defensive backs. Both could probably play safety in the NFL, but I think both wind up as corners. I think Davis probably goes first, because he does have the athleticism to make a late push up boards. But I really do like Jenkins' build and the way he plays the ball (he actually reminds me a tiny bit of Asomugha at Cal). I just need to see him play man coverage more. He was so universally avoided last year when he played zone we don't know much about how he reacts when teams go after him.

Comment

Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
                  Yeah, I cant add anything to that.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
                    Vernon's been in the league for two years. How many players are one of the best at their position after two years? Very few.
                    and even thats with a good overall team around, but that is neither here nor there
                    Last edited by rockio42; 09-05-2008, 01:17 PM.
                    I'm doing a real job now...well, semi-real.

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.

Comment

to answer your originally questions (as much as i don't like OSU) Malcolm Jenkins, for me at least, and that is because I look at expierience when it comes to cornerbacks because the more routes, reciever, and throws you see in college the better I think you will be in the NFL

but I do agree that come draft day these two could be closer than Leon Hall and Darrelle Revis were 2 years ago
                      I'm doing a real job now...well, semi-real.

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.

Comment

Would you guys say both could be considered a "shutdown" corner?

Comment

Would you guys say both could be considered a "shutdown" corner?
                          Jenkins moreso than Davis (right now). Jenkins is more consistently focused than Davis. Davis is rapidly getting better though. I'd take either as my #1 CB and be happy with it.

Comment

Depends what your definition of "shutdown corner" is. Could Jenkins go man to man on an island better than Davis?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Banner View Post
                              Depends what your definition of "shutdown corner" is. Could Jenkins go man to man on an island better than Davis?
                              Based off of your definition of a shutdown corner. Could either one be that?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information