the faults of Matt Stafford

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the faults of Matt Stafford

now, before I say this, I believe stafford is the number 1 QB in this draft (though thats not saying much considering this QB class is god awful), but Am I the only one not sold on him as a leader or one who can win the big game? in 07, in the sugar bowl, Georgias defense harassed colt Brennan the whole game and no one asked stafford to win it

stats for 2007 sugar bowl:

14-23, 175 yards 1 TD 1 INT

and last year, against alabama, at home, big saturday night game, did stafford thrive?

24-42 274 yards 2 TD 1 INT

and finally, last year against florida

18-33 265 yards 0 TD 3 INT

so lets add that up, in the 3 biggest games of staffords college career

56-98 (or an average of 19/33; roughly a 57 percent completion percentage) 714 yards (an average of 238 YPG) 3 TD's 5 INTs, or almost a 1:2 TD to INT ratio

in other words, when in a big game, stafford is average to below average, and if your the lions, are you willing to sink 80-90 Million dollars with 35-40 million of it guaranteed into an average to below average QB? or would you rather spend 65-70 million, with 30-25 million guaranteed on a quality LT?
    Last edited by Buttered toast sonic; 02-18-2009, 12:20 PM.
    Don't hate me because I'm a rutgers fan, hate me because I'm eagles and Yankees fan

Scarlet Knights forever, victories don't matter, we're the best in the land, cause we MADE this game!

Originally posted by Buttered toast sonic View Post
    now, before I say this, I believe stafford is the number 1 QB in this draft (though thats not saying much considering this QB class is god awful), but Am I the only one not sold on him as a leader or one who can win the big game? in 07, in the sugar bowl, Georgias defense harassed colt Brennan the whole game and no one asked stafford to win it

stats for 2007 sugar bowl:

14-23, 175 yards 1 TD 1 INT

and last year, against alabama, at home, big saturday night game, did stafford thrive?

and finally, last year against florida

18-33 265 yards 0 TD 3 INT

so lets add that up, in the 3 biggest games of staffords college career

56-98 (or an average of 19/33; roughly a 57 percent completion percentage) 714 yards (an average of 238 YPG) 3 TD's 5 INTs, or almost a 1:2 TD to INT ratio

in other words, when in a big game, stafford is average to below average, and if your the lions, are you willing to sink 80-90 Million dollars with 35-40 million of it guaranteed into an average to below average QB? or would you rather spend 65-70 million, with 30-25 million guaranteed on a quality LT?

Do the same for Matt Ryan's biggest games which would be against weaker opponets.........

...........then ****!
    my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
    <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
    <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
    <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
    Originally posted by Hermstheman83
    What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

There were similar arguments last year with Matt Ryan (I was one of them) and Ryan is doing just fine in the NFL. Now I know these are different circumstances, but just looking at those stats from those games, there is a positive there in each one. In the Sugar Bowl they got the win, he didn't win it for him but he didn't put them in position to lose it either. The Alabama game is a decent game for any QB, they have a monster defense and that performance was not atrocious, though admittedly, unspectacular. The Florida game was a poor showing with the picks, but he put up almost 300 yards against one of the top defenses in the country, not a good game by any means, but He never totally bombed either of these games.
      Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
        There were similar arguments last year with Matt Ryan (I was one of them) and Ryan is doing just fine in the NFL. Now I know these are different circumstances, but just looking at those stats from those games, there is a positive there in each one. In the Sugar Bowl they got the win, he didn't win it for him but he didn't put them in position to lose it either. The Alabama game is a decent game for any QB, they have a monster defense and that performance was not atrocious, though admittedly, unspectacular. The Florida game was a poor showing with the picks, but he put up almost 300 yards against one of the top defenses in the country, not a good game by any means, but He never totally bombed either of these games.
        Matt Ryan also led his team back on the road in the biggest game of their season up to that point and threw both winning TD's
        Don't hate me because I'm a rutgers fan, hate me because I'm eagles and Yankees fan

Scarlet Knights forever, victories don't matter, we're the best in the land, cause we MADE this game!

Comment

I'm not buying that he can't win the big game. He's 3-0 in bowl games and basically every game they lost this year can be greatly attributed to the fact that his defense decided to come out and lay eggs in all those games.
          Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
          RIP themaninblack

Comment

10/25 @Virginia Tech W 14-10 25 52 285 2 2
            11/3 Florida State L 27-17 26 53 415 2 3
            12/1 Virginia Tech L 30-16 33 52 305 0 2
            Bowl Game v. mich St 22 47 249 3 1

****. I didn't hear you barking when Matty ice came out last year. he was far from perfect. And those are just some games to prove it. And I could have had those numbers in that bowl game. Look at his average performances against maryland, NC State, Army and UMASS

9/8 North Carolina State W 37-17 15 34 142 1 1 .

Stats don't tell it all. Big Game stats even.
            Last edited by bored of education; 02-18-2009, 12:31 PM.
            <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
            What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
              10/25 @Virginia Tech W 14-10 25 52 285 2 2
              11/3 Florida State L 27-17 26 53 415 2 3
              12/1 Virginia Tech L 30-16 33 52 305 0 2
              Bowl Game v. mich St 22 47 249 3 1

****. I didn't hear you barking when Matty ice came out last year. he was far from perfect. And those are jsut some games to prove it. And I could have had those numbers in that bowl game
              riddle me this, did Matty ice have a first rounder at RB to help him out? did Matty ice have a future 1st rounder at WR? Stafford this year had Moreno and AJ green (who admittedly was not there last year), Matt ryan had how many great skill players around him?

Comment

riddle me this, did Matty ice have a first rounder at RB to help him out? did Matty ice have a future 1st rounder at WR? Stafford this year had Moreno and AJ green (who admittedly was not there last year), Matt ryan had how many great skill players around him?
                oh now that argument. Stats or supporting cast? Full picture? Big game numbers? Strength of schedule, opposing teams W-l, opposing teams 1st round defensive picks, opposing team defensive ranks, what they had for dinner that night. Look at the teams he faced about 10000x's stronger than the team matty ice faced.

So many different arguments.
                Last edited by bored of education; 02-18-2009, 12:39 PM.

Comment

oh now that argument. Stats or supporting cast? Full picture? Look at the teama he faced about 10000x's stronger than the team matty ice faced.

So many different arguments.
                  no one QB can win the game by himself, Joe Montana had Jerry rice and roger craig, Elway didn't win till he had TD, Marino never won because it was often just him. My main fault with Stafford is he tends to not rise to the occasion, so to speak. He goes from a very good QB to merely average. As for Matt Ryan, look at the scores of the games you put up, the Va tech game he thre both winning TDs in the 4th quarter, the florida state game was close, as was the ACC championship.

For stafford, the Alabama game was not as close as the score indicated, and they scored a good bunch of those 30 points in garbage time, and in the florida game, his team got blown out of the water.

My main point is: Stafford is an average QB who is getting severely bumped up by a very weak class overall for his position
                  Last edited by Buttered toast sonic; 02-18-2009, 12:43 PM.

Comment

I think he's gonna be a bust. Bailed early on school when he was far from a polished college player. From everything I hear about him on TV or the radio he doesn't sound like a great student, just someone who got by on talent, both his own and what surrounded him.

The name that pops in my head every time I hear him evaluated is Jeff George.

Comment

no one QB can win the game by himself, Joe Montana had Jerry rice and roger craig, Elway didn't win till he had TD, Marino never won because it was often just him. My main fault with Stafford is he tends to not rise to the occasion, so to speak. He goes from a very good QB to merely average. As for Matt Ryan, look at the scores of the games you put up, the Va tech game he thre both winning TDs in the 4th quarter, the florida state game was close, as was the ACC championship.

For stafford, the Alabama game was not as close as the score indicated, and they scored a good bunch of those 30 points in garbage time, and in the florida game, his team got blown out of the water.
                      BC's line was 10000x's better than Georgias. So Matty Ice could sit back and have a picnic in the pocket before having to make a decision.

So many differents elements that you can say favor one or the other...alot of those signs point to Matt Ryan not being as successful as he was and some would point to him being that successful.

Comment

why don;t you make an argument on his arm strenght, if he has the stamina to throw the ball for 16 weeks straight. Looking at the stats BOE put up for ICE, against Virgina, Flordia and Virgina again he threw the ball at least 50 times. but thats besides the point.

Wat are he actual faults, bad throwing mechanics, poor arm, bad accuracy, pocket presence, no ability to escape the rush, no IT factor, no qb pose, not a team leader? Are any of these his fault, try using these in your argument.

Comment

BC's line was 10000x's better than Georgias. So Matty Ice could sit back and have a picnic in the pocket before having to make a decision.

So many differents elements that you can say favor one or the other...alot of those signs point to Matt Ryan not being as successful as he was and some would point to him being that successful.
                          A lto fo people jsut think about the skill postions guys. I would've brought this up, but I think you've got this debate under control.
                          Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Ryans Line did own staffords line, That is true, but Stafford had a better just about everything else, skill positions, defense etc.

Comment

Stats only tell part of the story. This tells the rest:

Stafford wasn't lights out statistically, but in overtime with the game on the line he delivered one of the prettiest throws I've ever seen, right on the money.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information