Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feelings so far on the 2009 Draft. (During NFL Combine)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feelings so far on the 2009 Draft. (During NFL Combine)

Sanchez is a stud, his ability is on tape, these workouts for QBs are too over rated, I see people are pumping up Pat White who is a complete and utter non-factor when it comes to actual draft status, and tearing it up in workouts is completely different then tearing up in a game. White is actually a workout warrior at its best. Definitly should have made the move to wide out especially with this receiver class being weak to say the least.

While White is looking like the workout warrior of this years QB stock, Stafford, Sanchez and Freeman are looking like the 3 studs who are phenominal QB prospects and personally I believe will all be very good QBs in their first 3 years and then I think Sanchez and Stafford make the leap to elite status. Freeman is a stud though, and I love his size and arm strength. But Sanchez is the man. His footwork is almost flawless, his arm strength is right there with Matt Ryan and aaron Rogers, his mechanics are perfect, his velocity is outstanding and his accuracy is also very very good. One thing I wish they would do in these workouts is allow or have a drill where the QBs would roll out and throw on the run. Sanchez would dominant that aspect, we all know that. He is looking like a top 5-10 pick and the Rams would be sick not to take him, especially with Crabtree not at all being worth a top 3 pick now and Andre Smith being a huge baby that seems to be another high pick head case.

Sanchez is also the best mentally equiped QB of this class, no questions, teams love his intangibles and this nonsense of junior QBs or QBs with less then so many starts is just that, nonsense.

All receivers looked terrible. Maclin ran slower than expected, Crabtree isn't who we thought he was, and Heyward-Bey seems to be the only player living up to the size/speed ratio.

The tackles were a dissapointment especially with the best overall prospect not working out and coming in out of shape. Suprised me that Jason Smith ran the slowest time, and big dummy Lydon Murtha ran the fastest. Can you say workout warrior? Oher and Monroe along with Britton have solidified themselves as the 3 best OTs in the draft while Andre Smith has now moved to that 15-30 range and will probably be moved to ORT or OG.

Pettigrew has been a huge dissapointment with a less then stellar leaping number and 40 number. I like Shawn Nelson, but he isn't worthy of a 1rst round pick, but definitly a second rounder. Pettigrew needs to have a killer Pro-Day cause he has done nothing to show that he is the elite TE in this draft. Gresham should have come out.

Couple that with a terrible D-Line draft and a week safety draft we got our selves a pretty top heavy draft here. The best players will be picked in the top 15 while the bottom of the draft along with the rest of the rounds are going to be a complete crap shoot. Raji seems to be the only legit DT in this draft and probably the only one worthy of a first round pick, but I'm sure some second rate tackle will blow up in workouts and sleaze his way into the first.

The DE's in this class are getting worse and worse as the draft season rolls along. It is more than obvious that there isn't even a Chris Long in this draft let alone an elite once in a lifetime end like a Mario or a Julius. Shame who ever takes a chance on Ayers or even Orakpo at this time.

I did like John Grudens comments on Rey Maualuga being his favorite prospect and the best linebacker in the draft thing. I would have to say his opinion actually carries more weight then any one elses on this entire site, but I would love to hear people try to argue with an NFL coach about potential and production, but I'm sure the Rey haters will come out in droves on that one.

Darius Butler looks to be the 3rd or 4th best CB now, who would have thought that? But hey, I never really like D.J. Moore all that much anyway.

I was once very high on this draft, but I can't think of anyone after the top 20 players that will be bonified stars in the coming years, and even after the top 15 we are looking at a pretty starless crop of kids.

I've been more than dissapointed in what I've seen, the only players that, to me, even matter and will be elite talents are Rey Maualuga, Matt STafford, Mark Sanchez, Eugene Monroe, Brain Cushing, Aaron Curry, Vontae Davis, M.Jenkins, Max Unger and B.J. Raji. The rest are a who knows at best and will probably be very good starters at best.

No offense, but the little I've read of your evaluations isn't very good.

Pettigrew ran as fast as expected (regardless of what he was saying he is obviously a 4.8 guy) and more importantly he looked like the best TE by far in all of the drills. Natural pass catcher, terrific blocker, he's not going to fall at all. I see people now proclaiming him as a 2nd round pick...are you crazy? He's not going Top 10 but then again he was never going to go that high, but he's still a 1st round lock.

Comment

Originally posted by metafour View Post
      No offense, but the little I've read of your evaluations isn't very good.

Pettigrew ran as fast as expected (regardless of what he was saying he is obviously a 4.8 guy) and more importantly he looked like the best TE by far in all of the drills. Natural pass catcher, terrific blocker, he's not going to fall at all. I see people now proclaiming him as a 2nd round pick...are you crazy? He's not going Top 10 but then again he was never going to go that high, but he's still a 1st round lock.
      Yeah, his drills were solid, but nothing that stands out and says he is elite, and his athletic ability has really ticked me off about him. I liked him coming into this draft, but his workous have been less then stellar. I really wanted him to blow people away and he hasn't done that in the physical workout part. An elite TE can do both at a high level and he hasn't done that.

I have to admit, my thread abou tthis draft being as good as the 2004 or 06 was completely off base and I'm sorry that I even argued that point. Canadain you were right this draft is terrible and only has a hand full of really good players. I guess drafts like the 04 and 06 and even 07 come around every so often. Too bad, cause I really thought this draft was going to be good.

Comment

Nothing IMO, stands out enough to make Pettigrew a top 12 pick. He is solid all around, but if you're a TE and you run a 4.85, you shouldn't be a top 12 pick. I really hope the Pettigrew to the Bills at 11 stops now. He is good all around, but he isn't worthy of going that high.

Thank you XxXDragonXxX for the Avatar!

Comment

Originally posted by MarioPalmer View Post
          Yeah, his drills were solid, but nothing that stands out and says he is elite, and his athletic ability has really ticked me off about him. I liked him coming into this draft, but his workous have been less then stellar. I really wanted him to blow people away and he hasn't done that in the physical workout part. An elite TE can do both at a high level and he hasn't done that.
          Again, dont really agree at all. His receiving drills were very solid...he looked like a natural receiver. Combine his blocking? There hasn't been a TE that can catch and block as well as Pettigrew SIMULTANIOUSLY in a long time. He is a strong pass catcher and a strong blocker...in the NFL that is a TE who plays nearly every snap, there aren't a lot that are going to do that.

I dont see how you can throw Sanchez' crappy combine so far out the window ("his ability is on tape") and then completely drop Pettigrew because he didn't run fast. Carlson ran a 4.9 last year and was by far the best rookie TE. Pettigrew is probably more athletic than Carlson overall and he is a significantly better blocker. Easy first rounder.

Comment

I would rather have Shawn Nelson in the second round than Brandon Pettigrew in the first.

Comment

freeman will bust

and pat white has shown throughout the year that he can throw; dont why people are surprised

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Comment

Sanchez is also the best mentally equiped QB of this class, no questions, teams love his intangibles and this nonsense of junior QBs or QBs with less then so many starts is just that, nonsense.
                Except, you know, when it isn't. It's mathematically proven.

Crabtree isn't who we thought he was
                How so?

Pettigrew has been a huge dissapointment with a less then stellar leaping number and 40 number.
                Not really. No one expected a blazing 40.

Pettigrew needs to have a killer Pro-Day cause he has done nothing to show that he is the elite TE in this draft.
                Except, you know, that whole tape thing.

The best players will be picked in the top 15
                HOLD THE PHONE! The best players will be picked in the top 15? We've also landed on the moon by the way.

I did like John Grudens comments on Rey Maualuga being his favorite prospect and the best linebacker in the draft thing. I would have to say his opinion actually carries more weight then any one elses on this entire site, but I would love to hear people try to argue with an NFL coach about potential and production, but I'm sure the Rey haters will come out in droves on that one.
                Yeah, Jon Gruden's never been wrong. Wait, what's he even doing on NFLN?

I was once very high on this draft, but I can't think of anyone after the top 20 players that will be bonified stars in the coming years, and even after the top 15 we are looking at a pretty starless crop of kids.
                I'm willing to bet that there will be more Pro Bowlers from outside the top 15. Want to wager on it? You get top 15, I get field, we chit chat when the last guy from this draft retires.

I've been more than dissapointed in what I've seen, the only players that, to me, even matter and will be elite talents are Rey Maualuga, Matt STafford, Mark Sanchez, Eugene Monroe, Brain Cushing, Aaron Curry, Vontae Davis, M.Jenkins, Max Unger and B.J. Raji. The rest are a who knows at best and will probably be very good starters at best.
                That's an atrocious list of "elite" talents. Unger? Davis? Davis was benched this past year because of poor play, and he's one of your elites? That makes a whole ****load of sense.

Comment

Alright a few things:

1. I agree with you about Sanchez and White but don't see how this is based off the combine so far. Sanchez hasn't looked too impressive, and is shorter and doensn't seem quite as athletic as originally thought.

2. "The tackles were a dissapointment especially with the best overall prospect not working out and coming in out of shape"

What? Andre Smith did not come in out of shape. He came in at solid 332 lbs and alleviated many concerns over rumours that he was playing at over 360 lbs at times (saying that he honestly never been over 345).

3. "Suprised me that Jason Smith ran the slowest time, and big dummy Lydon Murtha ran the fastest. Can you say workout warrior? Oher and Monroe along with Britton have solidified themselves as the 3 best OTs in the draft while Andre Smith has now moved to that 15-30 range and will probably be moved to ORT or OG."

Again. What!!?? Jason Smith did not run the slowest time. He ran a decent 5.22 (actually .01 faster than Monroe). 40 times really aren't that big of a deal for offensive tackles. He showed up a bit heavier than expected, was the strongest tackle in the bench press and his footwork, athleticism and ability to pass protect mean that his stock certainly hasn't slid. Smith is still a top 3 OT in the draft.

4. "The DE's in this class are getting worse and worse as the draft season rolls along. It is more than obvious that there isn't even a Chris Long in this draft let alone an elite once in a lifetime end like a Mario or a Julius. Shame who ever takes a chance on Ayers or even Orakpo at this time."

Umm, none of them have had a chance to work out at the combine yet. Maybe you should see that before you say they are getting "worse as the draft season rolls along". Right now most of the top DE prospects came in weighing more than people expected (Maybin, Brown and English come to mind) so everything is looking up so far...

5. "I did like John Grudens comments on Rey Maualuga being his favorite prospect and the best linebacker in the draft thing. I would have to say his opinion actually carries more weight then any one elses on this entire site, but I would love to hear people try to argue with an NFL coach about potential and production, but I'm sure the Rey haters will come out in droves on that one."

You might not care about our opinions but I'm willing to bet that almost every other coach in the NFL has Curry as the #1 linebacker.

6. "I've been more than dissapointed in what I've seen, the only players that, to me, even matter and will be elite talents are Rey Maualuga, Matt STafford, Mark Sanchez, Eugene Monroe, Brain Cushing, Aaron Curry, Vontae Davis, M.Jenkins, Max Unger and B.J. Raji. The rest are a who knows at best and will probably be very good starters at best"

If ten players out of this draft turn out to be elite talents, that's a pretty damn good draft...
                  10 Favourite prospects for 2010: Colt McCoy, Dez Bryant, Golden Tate, Noel Devine, Ndamukong Suh, Greg Hardy, Eric Norwood, Travis Lewis, Eric Berry, Trevard Lindley

Comment

Originally posted by kwilk103 View Post
                    freeman will bust

and pat white has shown throughout the year that he can throw; dont why people are surprised
                    I don't think Freeman will bust, I don't think he will ever be elite, but I do think he will be a legit QB that is capable of making his franchise better. In the same sense that Jason Campbell or Dante Culpepper did throught their careers.

I see Freeman as a 3000 yard, 25 TD, 10-15 INT and 55% COMP a year guy. Not elite, but definitly worthy of 1rst round attention.

But Stafford and Sanchez are looking like top 10 QBs and even top 6 or 7 QBs. I really like these two. I can't wait to see them int he coming years.

And yes Pettigrew has done nothing to solidify himself as the best TE in the draft. An elite TE prospect puts up terrific numbers in workouts coupled with his on the field production, and he hasn't done that. A less than 40 inch vert and a 4.8 40 is aweful for a guy who is supposed to be THE TE of the draft.

Comment

And yes Pettigrew has done nothing to solidify himself as the best TE in the draft. An elite TE prospect puts up terrific numbers in workouts coupled with his on the field production, and he hasn't done that. A less than 40 inch vert and a 4.8 40 is aweful for a guy who is supposed to be THE TE of the draft.
                      Dude you are simply talking out of your ass. Pettigrew was the #1 TE back when everyone knew he didn't have elite speed...so how does him running a 4.8 (which was expected) change anything? He is still the most complete, most pro ready, and most proven TE in the draft. He did nothing to change that and I bet there are a whole ZERO scouts/GMs who were disappointed in his 40 time because that is what everyone expected from him.

Comment

And here they come.

Jason Smith was touted as the most athletic of the top OTs, sorry but running a slow 40 doesn't help, and what I ment to say was one of the slowest times.

Gruden was just commenting on the LB corps and I would agree with him about Maualuga, but Mayock is a God around here so we all know who the majority will defend.

Crabtree is 6'1, sorry, but he is no longer the Fitz, Boldin, Plax kind of reciever. 6'1 is only one inch taller than Holt, 6'1 is not elite height. So he is not who we thought he was. Comine that with a 4.5 or maybe even slower and his injury he is no longer a once in a lifetime receiver.

NEXT!

Pettigrew has done nothing physically to call him a top 15 pick. You think he should go to the Bills at 11? Cause I don't, and people have been considering him a top 15 pick. He is at best a late first rounder and Shawn Nelson has done just as much if not more.

The DE's are not elite. None of them warrent a top 10 nor a top 15 slot. NONE OF THEM. Thus this makes this a horrid DE class. Only Raji is a legit D-Lineman prospect the rest or a who's who of nobodys. Oh and by the way I consider Everett Brown an OLB in a 3-4, because of the rumor that he is around the 245lbs mark. Maybin as well.

NEXT!!!!!!!!!

John Gruden= NFL Coach , nuff said, go hate on somebody else. He's forgotten more football then you will ever know in your entire life ever. Not sticking up for him, but NFL coaches actually carry weight when they talk, so I listen, is it gospel? Of coarse not, but let me think, listen to a former NFL coach who built a Raider AFC championship team and won a Super Bowl with the Buccs or listen to a fake name on a forum that has "REP"? Yeah, not a hard decision to make.

NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elite talents was ment to be in in 3-4 years and I think that there are only 7 or 8 of those players in this draft, doesn't mean all 15 will be selected in the top 15, even though they should, but they won't cause teams will fall for the typical hype BS that is around every draft every year.

Oh and Andre Smith is a tool, here is a guy who has the world of the NFL in the palm of his hand. Here is a guy who has a chance to show up and destroy the compeition at the Combine on TV for the media so that the media can start the "Andre Smith is the greatest tackle ever" campaign yet he shows up out of shape, who cares what he weight is, major attitude and leaves because of his persoanl feeling towards his agent and questions about his bowl game. This guy is a head case, and worth y of being completely ignored all together. If he does great fine, oh well, made a mistake, but because of his actions and not playing live football since November and not playing in a game that would have been huge for him and his program says alot about him and his decision making. You may think its petty, but believe me teams don't, especially with the way NFL teams screen these kids now after the morons like Pacman, Mike Williams and Vernon Davis.

As for Vontae Davis, he is the an athlete that possesses all the fundamental tools to succeed at this level. Team notice that, even Mayock, the beloved hero of NFL Draft Countdown belives that. Davis s about as close as you can get to Nate Clements and I believe that he will be that.

Comment

Anquan Boldin is the exact same size as Crabtree. Facts always make for a good time.

Comment

Sanchez is a stud, his ability is on tape, these workouts for QBs are too over rated, I see people are pumping up Pat White who is a complete and utter non-factor when it comes to actual draft status, and tearing it up in workouts is completely different then tearing up in a game. White is actually a workout warrior at its best. Definitly should have made the move to wide out especially with this receiver class being weak to say the least.

While White is looking like the workout warrior of this years QB stock, Stafford, Sanchez and Freeman are looking like the 3 studs who are phenominal QB prospects and personally I believe will all be very good QBs in their first 3 years and then I think Sanchez and Stafford make the leap to elite status..

I can't watch Pat White until they show the replay on NFL Network and hopefully can watch it online.

But for people like you, and unfortunately probably NFL scouts, he is in a lose lose situation.

If he looks poor, it's proof that he can't play QB.

If he looks great, he's deemed a workout warrior.

Either way he can't win. He's pigeon holed in a WR spot.

It's absolutely frustrating the guy may not get a shot because of that type of bias meanwhile while sucky QBs get a chance every single year.

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...?playerId=4512

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...btree?id=71269

6'1", 215 for both Boldin and Crabtree.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information