Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do some players bust because they just don't care?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do some players bust because they just don't care?

I am starting to think that some players just don't pan out because after they get payed, they just don't care anymore.

Andre Smith is easily the most talented OT in the draft imo, but Jason Smith seems like he has that passion for the game and competitivness to where he won't let himself fail.

When we talk about intagibles. How much of a factor is passion for the game?

If it is a big factor then guys like Jason Smith, Knowshon Moreno, Brian Robiski, Malcolm Jenkins, Aaron Curry, Brian Cushing are the guys I want to take because you can tell that they just love to play. Talent wise I think Andre Smith has few peers but I worry that he just doesn't care about the game.

Guaranteed 34 Million. If you don't love the game, it doesn't matter. You are rich.
    CHRIS PETERSEN > STEVE SARKISIAN AND JIM MORA. CALL ME WHEN ONE MAKES A BCS BOWL.

Originally posted by slightlyabroncosfan
    JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

Comment

Well Vince Young sure looks like he's about to become the prime example of a player busting b/c he lacks dedication. The guy has the talent but doesn't have the desire to succeed that some guys do.

Comment

I don't think Vince lacks desire, at least not at first. Maybe now that he has come crashing down to earth, but what I think he lacked was a true appreciation for what it would take to be a successful NFL QB. He had the desire to be great, he just didn't realize what it would take to be great. Now that he (hopefully) does realize, the desire may or may not still be there. In any case, I don't think you could look at him after the rookie season Houston OT win, or the NE loss in week 17 of the same season, and say he didn't have the desire.

Mike Williams shows how desire can produce a bust. If the passion isn't there, it's unlikely the player will amount to anything. To get this far you'd think passion would be a requirement but it's clearly not always the case.

Comment

Ive always refferred to it as heart, that drive to never give up and work harder than everybody else. The will to do what the other guys wont to win. Whether that is working harder in the gym and on the field or staying in the hotel rather than going out drinking cause you have a workout in the morning and dont want to sacrifice the oppurtunity to get better.

To me, there is no more important attribute in any athlete.
          Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
          Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

Comment

Originally posted by hockey619 View Post
            Ive always refferred to it as heart, that drive to never give up and work harder than everybody else. The will to do what the other guys wont to win. Whether that is working harder in the gym and on the field or staying in the hotel rather than going out drinking cause you have a workout in the morning and dont want to sacrifice the oppurtunity to get better.

To me, there is no more important attribute in any athlete.
            Could not agree more, especially with that last sentence.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

Mike Williams is a perfect example of not caring. What a bum.

Comment

Yeah I definitely think some top picks who are so athletically gifted and who have been able to rely on their talent through talent bust easier. They get paid so much with their rookie deal that they are set for life.

Case in point: OT Mike Williams of the Bills.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
                  Yeah I definitely think some top picks who are so athletically gifted and who have been able to rely on their talent through talent bust easier. They get paid so much with their rookie deal that they are set for life.

Case in point: OT Mike Williams of the Bills.
                  I was always confused with Mike Williams.

Did he play well and hurt his neck or did he never play well and hurt his neck?

I never figured that one out...

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

There is no doubt in my mind that this is the case with many players. I honestly can't say that I blame some of them either. Giving that much gauranteed money to a kid who hasn't played a down in the NFL is a HUGE risk. You have to have an internal drive, and some don't have it. The end goal of many is to be financially stable and make money, and once they have that, much of the drive is removed. Talent and natural ability can keep them in the league, but without drive and determination to eb the best, you just float along and get paid....nothing wrong with that, but sucks for those investing the money in you...

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                    You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by JFLO View Post
                        I was always confused with Mike Williams.

Did he play well and hurt his neck or did he never play well and hurt his neck?

I never figured that one out...
                        He ******* blew at LT. Just too fat and heavy footed. He played decent at guard but nothing to write home about. Definitely had weight issues. After he left Buffalo I think he went to Jacksonville but to be honest I never followed his career after that.

Comment

Absolutely. If I don't have that kind of work ethic and I'm getting paid millions upon millions guaranteed, hell no, I'm not going to spend my time on the practice field after workouts getting better. I'm going to be out blowing that cash.

BoneKrusher

Comment

from the madd futher mucker

That is one of my biggest question marks about Beanie Wells. And it showed again today IMO. It is not that I don't think he cares, it is that I don't think he cares enough.

Guys will look at Beanie's time and say to themselves "I thought he was faster than that."

Truth is - he is - much faster than the time reflected in his 40. Which makes me even more suspicious of who Beanie Wells really is. I was suprised as anyone watching Wells run the 40 - not because of the time itself, but the technique. I was sure that Wells would have been 'coached up' in his 40 technique by OSU's Butch Reynolds, who has worked with previous OSU rookie classes to great results, so I was truly expecting in the 4.4s at least.

It sure looked like Robiskie absorbed Reynolds' techinque;
                            Wells on the other hand looked like he'd never run a 40 before - poor starting technique and he 'fought' both runs from start to finish.

I'm not as concerned with the time as I am left with the idea that he's just not dedicated to his craft. Compare to Donald Brown.

How anyone with the resources at his disposal could do such a poor job preparing for "the most important job interview of his life" is way beyond me.

Comment

I can tell you for a fact that there are a lot of guys who play the game only because they are good at it and can earn a lot of money doing it.

However, I think that can be said for a lot of professions.
                              Scott Wright, President
                              Draft Countdown.com
                              www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                              www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information