Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

These 40 times from everyone were shocking..I think it was a SLOW track.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These 40 times from everyone were shocking..I think it was a SLOW track.

Lucas Field must have a slow track...right??

University of Michigan

RichRod will win the Big Ten title.....You watch.

DHB - 4.3 flat.
    Aaron Curry 4.56 40

Slow track you say?

Comment

Originally posted by Crickett View Post
      DHB - 4.3 flat.
      Aaron Curry 4.56 40

Slow track you say?
      DHB was a burner...we knew that.

4.56 as an OLB is fast but 4.39 as aMLB Patrick Willis is SUPER fast.

The 40 times were slow...all you did was pick two of the fastest times for their positions..

University of Michigan

RichRod will win the Big Ten title.....You watch.

Comment

It's hard to say. It may have been a little slower. Perhaps Heyward Bey would have run in the 4.2's last year. It doesn't really matter though. If it was slower that affects everyone, so relative speed between prospects shouldn't change. NFL teams would likely know if there was a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Crickett View Post
          DHB - 4.3 flat.
          Aaron Curry 4.56 40

Slow track you say?
          While you have a point, remember DHB has ran in the 4.2s and even high 4.1s so we know he can run faster.

As for Curry, I have no excuse as that's an excellent time and better than really any of us expected. If he runs in the 4.48-4.53 range at his Pro Day, I will grow very skeptical about this year's Combine times.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
          - For daily NFL draft coverage:
          www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Aren't pro day times usually faster than combine times?

Comment

Originally posted by nyqua View Post
              Aren't pro day times usually faster than combine times?
              Typically, but mostly for schools such as Ohio State or USC. Those type of schools typically try to help their players a bit by running them on faster tracks. Unfortunately, scouts know these tracks and adjust their 40 times as such. Most schools just run it on their football field whether it be natural grass or artificial turf so it's simply a matter of an extra couple weeks, perhaps a month extra of training for the 40.

Comment

I suspect that if anything was the matter, it was the electronic timer. It seemed to greatly differ in its disparity from most of the hand-times you saw coming out on particular days. As we know, the electronic time is started by hand but finished by electronic sensors, so maybe there was something weird going on with the guy in charge of starting the timer.

I really don't know. Since all the groups ran at the same time, it might be wise to measure them just against each other instead of as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                  I really don't know. Since all the groups ran at the same time, it might be wise to measure them just against each other instead of as a whole.
                  Exactly. The 40 yard dash is still going to work for Chris Wells over Knowshon Moreno, Aaron Curry over Brian Cushing, DHB over Percy Harvin, etc. They all ran on the same surface and can be compared to one another, not necessarily those from the past.

Comment

I'm thoroughly convinced that the track is slow or the timer was off. DHB and the rest of the receivers absolutely torched it, but other than that all the times were a bit slow IMO.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I'd love to see what Orakpo would run on a fast track if that's the case.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                        I'm thoroughly convinced that the track is slow or the timer was off. DHB and the rest of the receivers absolutely torched it, but other than that all the times were a bit slow IMO.
                        Coaches are getting their own times though and timing each player from the stand so they will have their own time to compare, we are only getting the official numbers but if they are way off from what the coaches have then they can adjust accordingly.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

The receivers and D-Line were plenty fast. The track is not slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                            I suspect that if anything was the matter, it was the electronic timer. It seemed to greatly differ in its disparity from most of the hand-times you saw coming out on particular days. As we know, the electronic time is started by hand but finished by electronic sensors, so maybe there was something weird going on with the guy in charge of starting the timer.
                            I agree, I think it was the crappy timer. If the electronic timer was reliable coaches wouldn't all be using their own stopwatches.

Comment

Perhaps the coaches wanted a bit of a slower track to get more realistic times that coincide with what they feel a players game speed is. I think a lot of the coaches were getting sick of 4.2-4.4 from players who they knew weren't that fast, at least not in pads.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information