Gut Feelings on Prospects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gut Feelings on Prospects

I tried to get Scott's input on this in his chat but didn't get an answer so I figured I'd ask everyone else and maybe Scott would answer to.

Everyone knows there's many boom/bust type picks in the draft, and even if you realize that they have high bust potential you rate them higher than guys with higher floors because of the ability.

The most obvious example is someone like Josh Freeman who has an immense ceiling but a good chance to be out of the league in 5 years.

What I question is how everyone see's the players actually ending up, not just how you rate them as prospects. Call it a gut feeling, because I have a feeling that Josh Freeman will be a big bust and flame out quickly, but I still have him rated as the 3rd best QB prospect and still think he is probably worth the risk of a 1st round pick. Even though I think other guys could atleast be valuable back ups for a long time.

I'll list a few guys people could answer and hope people add their own guys who they have gut feelings about regardless of how they actually view them as prospects.

Freeman - Bust, despite the great tools his production is severely lacking and he'll be forced to start before he's ready.

Vontae Davis - Bust, his attitude has me envisioning him as being a headcase for whoever drafts him and then someone takes a chance on him and regrets it.

Harvin - Boom, I think him being nicked up will always be an issue (like Westbrook is lately) but I think he'll be a gamebreaker when healthy.

Michael Johnson - Will be a nice player for a while, going against the grain since many people view him strictly as boom or bust. But I think he has a good head on his shoulders and just has a questionable motor. Guys like that have had success. I think his best fit is as a 4-3 end though, too stiff for a 3-4 OLB.

Stafford - HOF, I really have no questions that Stafford will be an elite QB. I've watched him extensively and I think he's the best QB prospect I've seen. Junior QB's don't have a great track record but he has as much experience as any QB prospects in recent memory when you consider that he's coming out of a pro style offense and played against the best defenses in the country.

Also keep in mind these don't have to be strictly boom or bust type situations.

Just judging the prospects in Scott first round mock

Busts-maybe not out of the league in three years...true busts but won't live up to first round grades
    Crabtree

Andre Smith

Sanchez

Oher

Maybin

Wells

Freeman

Laurinatis

Solid Players but not spectacular
    Jenkins
    Stafford
    Moreno
    Cushing
    Mauluaga
    Tyson Jackson
    Pettigrew
    Clay Matthews

Pro Bowlers
    Monroe
    Jason Smith
    Curry
    Orakpo
    Raji

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
    Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

Originally posted by BuddyCHRIST View Post
      Stafford - HOF, I really have no questions that Stafford will be an elite QB. I've watched him extensively and I think he's the best QB prospect I've seen. Junior QB's don't have a great track record but he has as much experience as any QB prospects in recent memory when you consider that he's coming out of a pro style offense and played against the best defenses in the country.
      did you just put stafford in canton?
      my shoes hurt

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

Comment

Here are a couple of players that I have some gut feelings on:

I think Andre Smith is still going to be an elite offensive lineman when it comes to the next level. He certainly isn't showing his personal side to wells of far, but I think his game is going to transcend very well in the NFL, whether it is inside at guard or at right tackle.

I think all three USC linebackers are going to do pretty well at the next level, with the best being Maualuga. All three of them have very good instincts and are very disicplined when it comes to the game.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

my gut is telling me clay matthews might actually be the best USC backer.
          my shoes hurt

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

Comment

Gerald McGrath will be the 2nd best Lb in this class.
            my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
            <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
            <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
            <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
            Originally posted by Hermstheman83
            What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bitonti View Post
              my gut is telling me clay matthews might actually be the best USC backer.
              Not a stretch at all.

Comment

My gut tells me that Crabtree is going to be a bust and that Sanchez is going to be worse than Leinart.

Comment

Stafford- Not a bust, not a boom. He isnt a elite QB in my eyes.
                  Crabtree-Boom, Top 10 WR for a long time
                  J.Smith-Boom, Pro Bowl LT for what ever team that drafts him
                  Raji-Boom, Is going to have a effect like Jenkins had with the Jets or Ngata did with the ravens
                  Sanchez- Same as Stafford
                  Eugene Monroe-Boom, not as good as J.Smith, but a pro bowler
                  Orakpo- Bust, I dont think he will fit as a 4-3DE or a 3-4 OLB
                  Jenkins- Bust, Unless he goes to a tampa 2 system
                  A.Smith-Boom, Ive always said he is going to good a OT.
                  Curry- Boom, Isnt going to be a dominant LB but will be a pro bowler
                  Oher- Bust, IDK what to say here, I just dont have a good feeling about him
                  Maualuga-Boom, gonna be a beast in a 3-4 ILB
                  Wells- Bust, injuries will hurt his career early
                  Moreno- Not a boom or bust, wont be a #1 RB but could be good in a combo

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
                  @SirStackAlot707

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
                    Gerald McGrath will be the 2nd best Lb in this class.
                    winner winner chicken dinner

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by bitonti View Post
                      did you just put stafford in canton?
                      My GUT did!

Comment

Oher won't bust....worst case scenario is you move him to RT where he could be even better than he ever could at LT.

Comment

My gut tells me Lawrence Sidbury will be a 10 sack a year player in 2 or 3 years. As a 43 DE btw. Although 34 OLB is intriguing with him.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                          http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                          Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                          http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Tyrell Sutton will be a very solid Running Back in the NFL.

Comment

freeman----boom or bust; i dont see a middle ground with him; i think he busts

sanchez---average starter, nothing special; maybe a pro bowl or 2

stafford----pro bowl player

pat white---G.O.A.T.

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information