1st Round pick a WR for NY Jets?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Round pick a WR for NY Jets?

I'm sure many of you know the Jets have released Laveranues Coles. Now unless their able to pick up a starting WR in free agency this off-season their going to have a big hole to fill. Even before he was released I thought for sure they'd pick up a reciever in the 2nd. Last year IMO they just didn't have enough targets for Brett Favre. This upcoming year their going to have a young inexperianced starting QB and the last thing they need is for him to struggle because of his WRs among everything else he is going to have to deal with. Now this years WR class is thick so they could wait till the 2nd but should they pass up on an elite receiver like Percy Harvin or DHB if their still around? Assuming they don't pick up a WR in free agency are they in such dire need that they need to spend their 1st round pick on a WR?

I don't think so, but it may happen. I mean, they got Keller last year in the 1st, I think Favre had enough. Do they need someone opposite Cotch? Maybe, but some of their reserve WRs stepped up at points as well.

Follow Me on Twitter!
    https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Michael Crabtree, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Jeremy Maclin or Kenny Britt. I thought the Jets should have looked into drafting one of them before Coles was cut, so I certainly think they should select one now. The difference is I think the Jets should get an inexpensive veteran receiver in addition to drafting one.

Comment

I really don't want the jets to take bey from the bears
        But in my opinion has always been a need I don't like teams that have just short receivers unless he elite like a steve smith type I think a redzone time like rames or get kenny britt he is good but I think u guys should grab sanchez if he falls .
        One day i will be on the nfl sideline, maybe in a helmet or a headset. but it will take me to Canton, Ohio.

Comment

I think they will take a WR because they are adddressing their other needs in Free Agency. I want DHB, Britt, or Maclin.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Comment

Someone close to the Jets said they were looking hard at Maclin, DHB, and Nicks. It's certainly a big need to the fans, but the new regime seems to have a different sort of priorities, so it's really up in the air whether they'll go receiver or not.
              Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

Would be stupid, they're better off drafting a QB in round 1, and then try to get a WR in round 2 as this class is very deep

Comment

Originally posted by 635 View Post
                  Would be stupid, they're better off drafting a QB in round 1, and then try to get a WR in round 2 as this class is very deep
                  Why? So that if he doesn't immediately light it up with the Jets less than stellar receiver corps, the Jets can draft a replacement for him three years down the line too?

Comment

Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                    Why? So that if he doesn't immediately light it up with the Jets less than stellar receiver corps, the Jets can draft a replacement for him two years down the line too?
                    No one can expect him to immediately light it up, but he'll have a young O-line with good protection, a pro bowl caliber running backs, a good young TE , and hopefully the organization will surround him with more WRs starting this year. The QB doesn't have to start this year, or next year, but the pieces can be put into place (and the pieces aren't bad at all) over 2 years. And The first round QBs this year>>>>>>>>>Kellen Clemens

Comment

No one can expect him to immediately light it up, but he'll have a young O-line with good protection, a pro bowl caliber running backs, a good young TE , and hopefully the organization will surround him with more WRs starting this year. The QB doesn't have to start this year, or next year, but the pieces can be put into place (and the pieces aren't bad at all) over 2 years. And The first round QBs this year>>>>>>>>>Kellen Clemens
                      barring Stafford falling, you're completely wrong. this QB class is TERRIBLE.
                      We ALL bleed scarlet
                      New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                      UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                      Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                      BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Why wouldn't he be expected to immediately light it up? The whole idea of the Jets drafting a QB is that Clemens needs to be replaced because he didn't light it up when he got his opportunity in 2007. Much like Drew Brees in 2004, Kellen Clemens deserves the chance to show what he can do with a decent supporting cast and the missing piece to that supporting cast is a receiver who can get some seperation and down the field. Well, that and a #2 blocking TE, but that can be obtained in free agency or later in the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                          barring Stafford falling, you're completely wrong. this QB class is TERRIBLE.
                          this QB class is not terrible per se , it's just not deep AT all.. The top 3 QBs are good prospects, but it levels off after that.

Crickett
                          Kellen Clemens is clearly never going to amount to anything, a former spread QB who hasn't shown much in his mental progress and doesn't have the deep ball to scare teams, WOW, that guy clearly deserves a shot. The fact is that the JEts are in a position to make a move to draft one of the top 3 QBs, and very likely could have Mark Sanchez. These guys are all more athletic, have better arms, and are MUCH younger than the soon to be 26 year old Clemens. I say teh hell with him.

Comment

this QB class is not terrible per se , it's just not deep AT all.. The top 3 QBs are good prospects, but it levels off after that.

Crickett
                            Kellen Clemens is clearly never going to amount to anything, a former spread QB who hasn't shown much in his mental progress and doesn't have the deep ball to scare teams, WOW, that guy clearly deserves a shot.
                            The only thing this can be based on was Clemens 2007 performance where he had no one to throw to and was constantly running for his life. To say that he isn't going to amount to anything after not succeeding in that environment is ridiculous.

You say that the Jets wouldn't force a rookie quarterback to start immediately, but if he doesn't, who does that leave as the starter? Kellen Clemens.
                            Last edited by Crickett; 03-01-2009, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                              The only thing this can be based on was Clemens 2007 performance where he had no one to throw to and was constantly running for his life. I'd like to see Clemens actually get a real opportunity to show what he can do before the Jets draft Phillip Rivers with a Drew Brees on the roster.
                              The Chargers were better off for that situation,as they had a pro bowl QB either way, and whose presence pushed the other to improve.

Clemens is nothing to write home about, at all, he has okay arm strength, average size, and gets hurt a lot. You generally wouldn't want those characteristics in your young QB who you want to lead you to the Super Bowl. The fact is all of the 3 QBs who are first round material in this draft are more talented than Clemens and the Jets should consider them heavily with their first round pick .

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information