The Duane Brown Award

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Duane Brown Award

It seems like each draft there is a player who is commonly thought of as a lock for the second round, but gets their name called at the end of the first round. Last year was Duane Brown, even though I vaguely remember Scott having him in the first for his last mock.

For me this season it is Jarron Gilbert, who think could be the top 3-4 DE in the draft. He certainly has the size (6'5, 288) and athleticism (checkout youtube for the clip of him jumping out of the pool). He basically lived in WAC backfields last year recording 22 tackles for loss, is a sure tackler, still has a lot of room for improvement which is scary, and can still add some weight. More importantly looking at the end of the draft, 3-4 teams like Pittsburgh, Miami, New England and Baltimore are all good fits. The Titans will be looking to replace Haynesworth, the Eagles are always looking for defensive linemen, the Colts and Falcons also need help on the defensive line making them options. Just throwing them out there, who do you think will follow in Duane Brown's footsteps.

good point about his athletic ability. I always felt that the 'jump out of a pool'-drill was underrated. He absutely burned water there, man. You can't deny that kind of skill. The way he came outta that water, man I can just imagine him jumping over an offensive lineman and landing on a QB's head like a freakin' bomb coming out of a B52, you know?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
    don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
      good point about his athletic ability. I always felt that the 'jump out of a pool'-drill was underrated. He absutely burned water there, man. You can't deny that kind of skill. The way he came outta that water, man I can just imagine him jumping over an offensive lineman and landing on a QB's head like a freakin' bomb coming out of a B52, you know?
      I see what you did there

Comment

my nominees are Connor Barwin and William Beatty
        my shoes hurt

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

Comment

I've seen Gilbert in the first round of at least a couple of mocks.

How about this year's version of Joe Flacco: Rhett Bomar

I don't remember Flacco getting mocked into the first round much. I don't believe he was mocked into the first at all until late into the process. Bomar is a talented QB prospect in a weak class. His main knocks are questions raised about his character, but his trouble came early in his college career and he's stayed out of trouble since according to what I've read. Maybe a team that needs a QB could trade back into the first to get him. I could see his stock rising over the coming weeks.

Comment

I'll throw Robert Ayers out there. I also like Barwin to go in the 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
              I'll throw Robert Ayers out there. I also like Barwin to go in the 1st.
              Yeah I actually think Ayers will go in the early 20's also I think Sidbury has a shot to go in the late first, teams will fall in love when they watch him work out, and his game film albeit against inferior competition is great. Also if you want to call it the "next Dustin Keller," Jared Cook especially and Shawn Nelson have a shot to go late round 1. I think we could also be surprised and see someone like Loadholt go late round 1.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
              Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

if a run on receivers begins, i could see Robiskie being the guy that gets in, maybe to Indy if jerry is gone.

If there's a run on OTs like last year, guys like meredith, beatty, and Loadholt could get in.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Jarron Gilbert is actually approaching overrated status. has anyone ever seen him go against top competition? the WAC level of OL prospects is pretty shabby. Has anyone seen him actually play football? He can jump out of a pool whoop-de-doo.
                  my shoes hurt

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

Comment

Originally posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
                    Yeah I actually think Ayers will go in the early 20's also I think Sidbury has a shot to go in the late first, teams will fall in love when they watch him work out, and his game film albeit against inferior competition is great. Also if you want to call it the "next Dustin Keller," Jared Cook especially and Shawn Nelson have a shot to go late round 1. I think we could also be surprised and see someone like Loadholt go late round 1.
                    Oh man do I love Sidbury.

#4 Duke Blue Devils (4-1)
                    2010 & 2015 National Champions!!!
                    2015 2K Classic Champions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cESr9VWpZc0
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs

Comment

Originally posted by bitonti View Post
                      Jarron Gilbert is actually approaching overrated status. has anyone ever seen him go against top competition? the WAC level of OL prospects is pretty shabby. Has anyone seen him actually play football? He can jump out of a pool whoop-de-doo.
                      I understand the level of competition, but 22 tackles for loss is impressive. I think he is an ideal fit as a 3-4 DE.

I agree on the Robert Ayers posts, I do think he has worked his way into the first round.

Comment

Donald Brown, Louis Delmas, William Moore, Rashad Johnson, Patrick Chung, Jared Cook, Shawn Nelson, Brian Robiskie, Robert Ayers, Paul Kruger, Connor Barwin, Lawrence Sidbury, Sean Smith, Jamon Meredith, Phil Loadholt, and Jarron Gilbert are players that aren't usually in the first round of mocks but I could see situations where they could squeeze in there.

Comment

My latest mock draft has Connor Barwin, William Beatty, Jared Cook and Sean Smith all going in the first round.
                          10 Favourite prospects for 2010: Colt McCoy, Dez Bryant, Golden Tate, Noel Devine, Ndamukong Suh, Greg Hardy, Eric Norwood, Travis Lewis, Eric Berry, Trevard Lindley

Comment

Jared Cook is a logical choice. I also see William Moore recouping some of his stock and getting himself back into a late - first scenario as well.

Comment

Clay Matthews Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information