Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are people saying Jenkins had a bad Combine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are people saying Jenkins had a bad Combine?

He had the fastest 3-Cone Drill time out of anyone one there, the most important drill to run for a CB. The only time 40 speed comes into play for a CB is when he is completely beat or chasing a tackler from behind. CB is about reaction, agility, and explosion. D.Hall for example gets beat deep all day by slower WR all the time, and that has nothing to do with his speed.
    I guess im just confused as to how his 40 time changes anybody's perceptive whatso ever(like those saying that he now HAS to be a Safety.)

Times aren't everything. He was also mediocre in the positional drills, which are the most telling and important IMO. He wasn't very fluid in his movements and his hips are not as loose as you'd like.

He pretty much proved he's gonna struggle with double moves and is a risk to get beat deep (which happened at OSU). He needs safety help, or he needs to play safety.

The guy was never a top-10 talent and it was only a matter of time before he was exposed. Luckily for Jenkins, no one else really emerged at the combine. I guess Alphonso Smith was the most impressive but ZOMGZ he's short.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Basically scouts and "experts" put a lot of stock in the 40. I don't think he had a bad combine but not a great one. He's at about the same spot as I had him previously.

Comment

How did he do in the interviews? I know a lot of team put stock in that.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

As others mentioned its more about how he looked in CB drills than 40 times. For example Jimmy Williams ran like a 4.45 I believe but in drills scouts saw completely stiff hips and bad change of direction skills which made them believe he couldn't play corner in the league. I don't think the same is true with Malcolm Jenkins but he definitely isn't top 5 for CB's in this draft in terms of pure coverage skills. Love Alphonso Smith and intrigued by the potential of Vontae Davis and Sean Smith, but to me Darius Butler is starting to get consideration as who I think will end up the best corner in this draft. Don't sleep on Kevin Barnes though. I still think Jenkins will be a top 15 pick probably higher, and I still liken the comparison of him to Shawn Springs as I have said many times.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
          http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
          Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
          http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Originally posted by etk View Post
            Times aren't everything. He was also mediocre in the positional drills, which are the most telling and important IMO. He wasn't very fluid in his movements and his hips are not as loose as you'd like.

He pretty much proved he's gonna struggle with double moves and is a risk to get beat deep (which happened at OSU). He needs safety help, or he needs to play safety.

The guy was never a top-10 talent and it was only a matter of time before he was exposed. Luckily for Jenkins, no one else really emerged at the combine. I guess Alphonso Smith was the most impressive but ZOMGZ he's short.

Alphonso Smith: 4.52 40.
            Malcolm Jenkins: 4.55 40.

Comment

All 40 times means for corners are some have an easier time of running down someone after they get beat, you can still run a 4.6 and it wouldn't matter if you can stay on your man and don't get beat, but Jenkins isn't exactly a stalwart in coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
                As others mentioned its more about how he looked in CB drills than 40 times. For example Jimmy Williams ran like a 4.45 I believe but in drills scouts saw completely stiff hips and bad change of direction skills which made them believe he couldn't play corner in the league. I don't think the same is true with Malcolm Jenkins but he definitely isn't top 5 for CB's in this draft in terms of pure coverage skills. Love Alphonso Smith and intrigued by the potential of Vontae Davis and Sean Smith, but to me Darius Butler is starting to get consideration as who I think will end up the best corner in this draft. Don't sleep on Kevin Barnes though. I still think Jenkins will be a top 15 pick probably higher, and I still liken the comparison of him to Shawn Springs as I have said many times.
                I am really high on Darius Butler. He looks very smooth and has super ball skills, he definitely could be the best corner out of this class. Butler and Alphonso Smith are my two favorites in this class, I would love for the Pats to grab one of them.

Comment

Love Butler he actually has pretty good height and an unreal vertical leap which takes care of the slight height problem although he's average height for an NFL corner. Also he brings a lot of versatility as a returner, many forget how dangerous he was when he doubled as a receiver as well.

Comment

Jenkins 40 time moved him down a bit on my overall board but he is clearly the best c.b. in this draft. He had the fastest cone of any player in the entire draft and it was also faster than any of last years tremendous c.b. class!!!!! He's as physical as it gets, has tremendous instincts, has tremendous ballskills/hands and is a natural leader. Can move back into my top 5 with a 4.4 40 at his pro day.

Can be a true lock down corner at best or a multi pro bowl free safety at worst. Will drop no further than the 14 to the saints and could go as high as 5, with a good pro day, to the browns. Ihave him at 8 to jax in my current mock.

CLEARLY THE BEST CORNER IN THIS DRAFT, OR FREE SAFETY FOR THAT MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by etk View Post
                      I'm sorry but that couldn't be less accurate. Malcolm Jenkins stood out in the positional drills, not the timed portions. It is true that he ran the fastest 3-Cone drill at the Combine, showing the ability to drop his hips and turn with both quickness and efficiency. At times in the positional drills he looked like he was on a completely different level than the rest in his group (which included notably Darius Butler and Vontae Davis.) He was a bit high in a couple of the drills, but his hips looked very fluid and his transitions were much better than I had expected. His backpedal is quick and his transitions in that particular drill were extremely smooth. He really separated himself in the last drill that required him to stop on a dime and make plays on poorly thrown balls. In that particular drill he was lined up next to Vontae Davis and easily out-shined him.

He is experienced, he may not be a 4.4 guy but he is fluid athletically, he is well-schooled and well-practiced in his transitions which have improved greatly and look very natural, he displays very good quickness in short-area. His hips, though he played a bit high, were actually excellent and he's a guy that can really turn and run without losing much speed.

In college Macolm Jenkins had an excellent year and a fantastic career. He made an impact from his Freshman Year and it all culminated with well-deserved First Team All-American honors in 2008 and the Thorpe Award. Not his first good year either as he was three times First-Team All-Big Ten, and a Second-Team All-American in 2007. Now, while, his awards don't make him a great prospect, nor does his school's background for producing NFL DB's (Springs, Winfield, Clements, Gamble, Whitner, etc.), his game on the field certainly does. He is a complete CB prospect, with athleticism (yes, you can be an athletic CB even if you don't run a 4.4), great cover skills, has fluid hips (see positional drills/college career), tremendous character and leadership qualities, he is a good tackler, willing against the run, can run and get up with anyone, has far above-average instincts in coverage and run support, and is technically sound. What I personally love about Jenkins is the fact that he will give you all of that for four quarters, sixteen games a year. The problem with Jenkins is he has average timed speed, though he did win the NJ State 400 yard dash as a junior in HS, and is at this point a tweener between CB and FS.

Due to the uncertainty on whether he will play Cornerback or Free Safety at the next level, there is a chance he falls out of the Top 10, past teams like Jacksonville and Green Bay. Since his stock was so high to begin with, and the 4.53-4.55 didn't help him, of course his stock is on a very slight decline. Still, I can't see him getting past New Orleans at 14, even if they do think he is a Free Safety.

A source reporting similar to what I posted above (draftheadquarters)
                      --"Malcolm Jenkins - Dont believe everything that you read in the media. Jenkins had a good workout yesterday. I expected him to run in the 4.5s and according to my stopwatch, he was at a 4.53. He did well in the positional drills and even did better than Vontae Davis when they were head to head in the final drill of their workout. Obviously youd like to see him run faster, but hes not a burner at corner and never has been. He was a great college cornerback; you cant just change into being a mediocre one in an offseason because half of the media reporting on it have no idea what theyre talking about. What bugs me is when football websites who have no history of scouting football players begin suggesting that he must move to safety. Hell remain my top cornerback entering the draft. Even if he does move to safety, you think hes not better than Louis Delmas or Rashad Johnson? Come on."

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                      - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                      www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                        How did he do in the interviews? I know a lot of team put stock in that.
                        I would assume very well. He's well-coached and a very cerebral player on the field. He has been a real leader on the defense since his Sophomore year and especially his Senior season. He's humble off the field, intense on it. If they had him draw up diagrams I would imagine he excelled as he is, as I mentioned, very smart and has a great feel for the game. I'm not biased toward Ohio State prospects, in fact he and Marcus Freeman are the only ones this year I really am higher than most on (lower than most on Laurinaitis/Washington/Hartline), but Jenkins is a football player. He has football smarts and an engaging, but very focused, personality.

So, in conclusion, I am not positive because that's tough information to obtain, but I am very inclined to say that was one of Malcolm's strongest points at the Combine.

Comment

He was regarded as a top 10 corner. Top 10 corners almost always run in the 4.4s or below. He looks like more of a mid-late 1st rounder now (which I always thought he was). I think he was just overrated pre combine and now people are adjusting to what was inevitably going to happen.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

I still have him as a top 10 talent and EASILY the best CB in the draft.
                            my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                            <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                            <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                            <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                            Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                            What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by umphrey View Post
                              He was regarded as a top 10 corner. Top 10 corners almost always run in the 4.4s or below. He looks like more of a mid-late 1st rounder now (which I always thought he was). I think he was just overrated pre combine and now people are adjusting to what was inevitably going to happen.
                              Except for the fact that he, barring injury, won't fall out of the Top 15 because notably Jacksonville (8), Green Bay (9), Denver (12), New Orleans (14), and Houston (15) all have a need for a corner.

The guy was an elite player in college, has great size for the position, had a good Combine (positional drills were excellent, 3-Cone was outstanding, 40 was average), and remains a complete player on the field. He is the best Cornerback or Free Safety prospect. He ran the time many/most expected him to run, so how it dramatically drops his stock is beyond me.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information