Andre Smith Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andre Smith Question

I don't understand what makes him and elite "talent". What made him so elite earlier in the year that people were raving about him. Though he has dropped some now due to character concerns, etc., he is still considered to have elite talent for the position by many. But he is not an amazing athlete (not as good as Oher or Smith for sure), he has average agility, and is not that great in pass protection compared to the other top tackles. These are three traits that seem required for you to be an elite talent at tackle. Joe Thomas possessed these. D Ferguson same. Etc. Whats the deal?

He's not bad but I never understood what the hype was about too. I see him get pushed back and get caught on his heels too much in pass pro. Not left tackle material. I see him as being a good right tackle or guard.

Comment

For a run first team without a ZBS, like the Steelers/Bills/Giants etc. he is an ideal fit. Easily the most dominant run blocking OT in the draft who also has the best initial hand punch out of the top prospects. Absolutely neutralized some great DE prospects in the SEC throughout his career. Not a fit in all schemes, but has the potential to dominate in some.

Comment

i have a feeling he's going to run a 5.5 and put up only 20 reps and drop like a rock

Comment

He is the perfect fit for us in Oakland. We need a big RT that can get great push and still pass block.

But it looks like Khalif Barnes is going to sign with us

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
          @SirStackAlot707

Comment

He's an absolutely dominating blocker and he's athletic(contrary to what you've heard) as hell for his size. I don't know where you heard he wasn't good in pass protection because he honestly is. Really defines the phrase "light on his feet". He was a serious impact type player for Bama this year and is really being undersold at this point. If not for the character concerns and the emergence of Jason Smith as a A+ prospect, Smith would still be in the running to go within the first two picks. He's just screwing it all up acting like he already has his check.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by jnew76 View Post
              For a run first team without a ZBS, like the Steelers/Bills/Giants etc. he is an ideal fit. Easily the most dominant run blocking OT in the draft who also has the best initial hand punch out of the top prospects. Absolutely neutralized some great DE prospects in the SEC throughout his career. Not a fit in all schemes, but has the potential to dominate in some.
              Niners might be looking for him too, shifting from Martz to run first offense.

Comment

Big guy can move...

Comment

He only allowed 1 sack all year playing in the SEC, if I'm not mistaken.

Don't have to say much more.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                    He's an absolutely dominating blocker and he's athletic(contrary to what you've heard) as hell for his size. I don't know where you heard he wasn't good in pass protection because he honestly is. Really defines the phrase "light on his feet". He was a serious impact type player for Bama this year and is really being undersold at this point. If not for the character concerns and the emergence of Jason Smith as a A+ prospect, Smith would still be in the running to go within the first two picks. He's just screwing it all up acting like he already has his check.
                    This, basically.

Honestly, I don't even buy J. Smith or Monroe as having more potential than Andre Smith. He's very talented. But with some weight concerns, attitude concerns, intelligence concerns, etc. he's going to be dropping.

There was a stint during the 2008 college season when I thought Andre Smith was the best player in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                      This, basically.

Honestly, I don't even buy J. Smith or Monroe as having more potential than Andre Smith. He's very talented. But with some weight concerns, attitude concerns, intelligence concerns, etc. he's going to be dropping.

There was a stint during the 2008 college season when I thought Andre Smith was the best player in the country.
                      Agreed, to what you agree on and what you said, lol.
                      Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by superman View Post
                        i have a feeling he's going to run a 5.5 and put up only 20 reps and drop like a rock
                        I hope so, that way the Eagles can snatch him and we'll have an absolutely nasty LT to complete our OL...
                        Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
                          I hope so, that way the Eagles can snatch him and we'll have an absolutely nasty LT to complete our OL...
                          That would just not be fair. Strictly from a talent perspective he's right up there or was with anyone in the country at any point in the season. Of course, he's since hurt his stock severely since his bowl game, but I still believe he falls no further than to Washington.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PgdAQkq4gI

very nimble and agile for a man his size...best runblocking o.t. that i've ever seen in college...extremely long arms, which was my ONLY question coming into the combine...character concerns are being blown out of proportion...best left tackle prospect in the draft, better than jake long or joe thomas imho.
                            Last edited by roscoesdad27; 03-06-2009, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                              This, basically.

In agreement there as well. He really did look like the most important player in the country for awhile. You don't see a tackle dominate and make as much of an impact as Smith did very often.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information