Trading Down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading Down

is a concept I cannot grasp. No team just trades down. Teams actually trade up and try to find the suitor and placement to trade up for.

What are your thoughts on trading up v. trading down.

Trading down is a luxury that occurs only if a team is willing to trade up FIRST.
    my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
    <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
    <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
    <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
    Originally posted by Hermstheman83
    What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Teams wanting to trade down just let teams know they are shopping the pick, the same way teams let other teams know they are shopping a player. Obviously a team needs to be interested in the pick/player being shopped and then they will initiate trade talks.

That would be my guess to how it typically works.

Comment

Of course, but a team who is trading down doesn't 'say hey Eagle I want to trade down with you, you want my pick'
      <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
      What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
        Of course, but a team who is trading down doesn't 'say hey Eagle I want to trade down with you, you want my pick'
        They might float the idea to certain teams they think are interested.

Comment

If there's not a player worth taking where you are, trade down, or don't have the money for one. You can stockpile draft picks for later or in some cases get a high pick the next season. I'd rather trade down than up.

Comment

Originally posted by twista6002 View Post
            If there's not a player worth taking where you are, trade down, or don't have the money for one. You can stockpile draft picks for later or in some cases get a high pick the next season. I'd rather trade down than up.
            But trading down is harder to find a suitor than trading down. if everyone could trade down they would, but cant.

Comment

But trading down is harder to find a suitor than trading down. if everyone could trade down they would, but cant.
              Which is why it doesn't happen much, especially in the top picks. I don't understand what your saying/asking in this topic.

Comment

Try and tell the Saints who, this year, have a whopping 3 picks in the entire draft that they can't try to trade down......

A lot depends on your situation as well. If your a team with only a few major needs, maybe you package some of your picks together and trade up to insure that you get a player who fills one of those needs.

If your a team without any major glaring needs and are just in need of some depth, you should try trading down to pick up some extra picks to fill out your roster with more quality depth.

It works both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by BuddyCHRIST View Post
                  Which is why it doesn't happen much, especially in the top picks. I don't understand what your saying/asking in this topic.
                  Well in every mock in the mock forum people are requestingtrade downs as if they can happen just as easy as making it happen ina mock. but i dont think people understand the logic and process behind it.

Comment

I think there are a # of factors that play into trades.

1) How good is the draft year? If the talent is extremely thin and top ended, we are better off trading up and paying the price for at least a shot at obtaining a decent player. This is when you see teams holding 2 first rounders trade up into the top 10 or even the top 5 by offering both of them. See New Orleans trading up for Sullivan and the Jets trading up for Dewayne Robertson

2) Will there be a solid player there when I draft who fits our scheme and is a need? Can cause a team to trade down a little if they can find a trading partner.

3) We are this close to maybe making a serious run, how do I add the piece that can cinch it. Team may trade up at a serious cost to obtain that one more piece.

4) There is a franchise QB sitting there in the top 5 who is likely to go #1 overall. The team holding the pick doesn't want him for whatever reason. We do and are prepared to pay the asking price. Think Eli trade.

5) We are loaded for a serious playoff run and really don't like our chances of finding a solid player who fills a need when it is our pick. Will be trying to trade the pick for a pick(s) in next year's draft.

6) We are in a total rebuilding mode and are looking for extra picks provided that we still get an impact player where we trade down to. Willing to trade down a FEW spots as long as they still get an impact player.

7) We love prospect a but the team drafting before us has a serious need at the same position so we would like to trade up a couple of spots so we draft ahead of them. A very common occurrence on draft day.

8) We love a prospect but feel where we are picking, he just isn't worth the value. Willing to trade down to a place where the guy they want badly has real value.
                    9) Next year's draft is loaded with top end talent, this year isn't. Who can I get to trade this year's pick to for a pick(s) next year.

There are probably more reasons for trades but these are the most common. Teams desiring a trade in either direction will likely inform the other teams of their willingness to trade and try to gage who is interested. They will also gage the asking price or what it will take to get trade talks started. Once you get 2 teams interested in a trade then the bargaining starts to see if a trade is possible.
                    The better GM's like to trade on draft day when the pressure because of time restraints, puts the weaker GM at a disadvantage.
                    People say trading up into the top 5 has become almost impossible but I did a little research and found that teams are always willing to give up picks to trade up into the top 5 if a true franchise QB is available. They won't trade up and give up picks for any other position player. This has pretty well always been the case over the last 20 or so years. I don't think money comes into play as much as people think. At least I can find no significant changes from decade to decade when it comes to trading up or down in the top 5. Believe me if Peyton were available in this year's draft, the Lions would be getting calls feeling out a trade.
                    I've probably missed some but these are the ones I can think of now.
                    And proud of it!!!

Comment

I know what you mean boe. Everyone talks about trading down but that concept doesn't really exist. If you're a team that doesn't think its going to get good value or wants more picks, you can't just trade down. You're just a more likely suitor for a team that wants to trade up because you'll be less demanding in terms of compensation because of desire to move out of that spot.

Comment

Well in every mock in the mock forum people are requestingtrade downs as if they can happen just as easy as making it happen ina mock. but i dont think people understand the logic and process behind it.
                        Forum mocks are complete garbage. Might as well do a fantasy draft in Madden.

Comment

Sounds pretty mutual.
                          The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

Well yea, but I think anyone who knows what they are talking about knows how hard it is to trade down especially with equal value. Especially in the top picks unless someone really wants a QB or something, not only has building through the draft become the way to go so teams don't want to give up those picks. But also the money paid to top guys is too high to trade up. It rarely happens within the top 10 picks, and most people know that.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                              Try and tell the Saints who, this year, have a whopping 3 picks in the entire draft that they can't try to trade down......
                              We actually have four picks ;) In addition to our 1st, 4th and 7th we have the Jets' 4th rounder.

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information