Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Stafford be drafted by the Lions and how many times will he be sacked?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Stafford be drafted by the Lions and how many times will he be sacked?

I think he will, but he shouldn't

The Lions OL actually doesn't look that bad. It isn't great, but an OL of Backus/Loper/Raiola/Peterman/Cherilus could be capable-solid if they had a strong run game to complement it. With the addition of Maurice Morris, along with Kevin Smith, that possibility exists, although they probably still need a short yardage-physical back. They need a quick, slot guy and a better TE that can work the middle of the field, but there's enough of a nucleus to justify a QB pick, particularly since the stopgap QB is in place.

In saying that, I don't think the Lions really know if they'll draft Stafford right now. My gut says that they have been trying all offseason to talk themselves out of such a move, but unless they can find another option, they might end up going with Stafford. By the end of March, we should have a very clear picture. I'd guess it's Stafford-Curry-J. Smith in that order right now, with the first two awfully close. If there was an impact DL talent that they could justify at 1, I think they'd be more willing to make that move, but well, there isn't.

Comment

Stafford is an elite quarterback prospect. The Lions do not have anybody on their team resembling a franchise quarterback. Quarterback is the most important position in football. The Lions should and will select Stafford, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by I KNOW IT ALL View Post
        Stafford is an elite quarterback prospect. The Lions do not have anybody on their team resembling a franchise quarterback. Quarterback is the most important position in football. The Lions should and will select Stafford, in my opinion.

Do they really have any elite players? And I don't consider Calvin Johnson an elite player

Comment

Originally posted by dabul-master View Post
          Do they really have any elite players? And I don't consider Calvin Johnson an elite player
          If Calvin Johnson doesn't fit your criteria for an "elite" player then No! the Lions don't have any "elite" players". Nor do many teams in the NFL for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
            The Lions OL actually doesn't look that bad. It isn't great, but an OL of Backus/Loper/Raiola/Peterman/Cherilus could be capable-solid if they had a strong run game to complement it. With the addition of Maurice Morris, along with Kevin Smith, that possibility exists, although they probably still need a short yardage-physical back. They need a quick, slot guy and a better TE that can work the middle of the field, but there's enough of a nucleus to justify a QB pick, particularly since the stopgap QB is in place.

In saying that, I don't think the Lions really know if they'll draft Stafford right now. My gut says that they have been trying all offseason to talk themselves out of such a move, but unless they can find another option, they might end up going with Stafford. By the end of March, we should have a very clear picture. I'd guess it's Stafford-Curry-J. Smith in that order right now, with the first two awfully close. If there was an impact DL talent that they could justify at 1, I think they'd be more willing to make that move, but well, there isn't.
            I'd go with curry personally, if one couldn't trade down. I know their offense isn't good, but their defense is equally bad, so really, when you need a player at every position, the best choice is the best player.

Comment

Originally posted by phlysac View Post
              If Calvin Johnson doesn't fit your criteria for an "elite" player then No! the Lions don't have any "elite" players". Nor do many teams in the NFL for that matter.
              He might become an elite player but I don't think he is now. Elite is an exlusive club, if you're thinking of a larger group then use a different word.

Comment

Hopefully he won't be sacked at all because if the offensive line is that bad there is no reason they should be playing him.

There is no harm in sitting Stafford a year while you build up the rest of the team.
                Scott Wright, President
                Draft Countdown.com
                www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                  Hopefully he won't be sacked at all because if the offensive line is that bad there is no reason they should be playing him.

There is no harm in sitting Stafford a year while you build up the rest of the team.
                  There is for the Lions when they're looking at a whole season of 30,000 people in the stands. Drafting a guy #1 overall to be invisible for a year when you just went 0-16 is box office suicide.

Comment

Originally posted by dabul-master View Post
                    He might become an elite player but I don't think he is now. Elite is an exlusive club, if you're thinking of a larger group then use a different word.
                    Of the 160+ WRs currently in the NFL I would definitely put Calvin Johnson in the top 10. That's exclusive enough for my liking.

Comment

He will be drafted by the Lydowns and Jared Allen will break him in half! Ha.

But seriously they almost have to take him. They cannot afford to pass up the chance to have a franchise QB. Just ask Minnesota fans.... :(

Comment

Originally posted by hagy34 View Post
                        He will be drafted by the Lydowns and Jared Allen will break him in half! Ha.

But seriously they almost have to take him. They cannot afford to pass up the chance to have a franchise QB. Just ask Minnesota fans.... :(
                        That depends though, do you think he will be a franchise qb? And even then, the Lions don't have Steve Huchinson or AP

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin & Kevin View Post
                          There is for the Lions when they're looking at a whole season of 30,000 people in the stands. Drafting a guy #1 overall to be invisible for a year when you just went 0-16 is box office suicide.
                          You may have to sacrifice one season for a decade of success.

That type of short-sighted thinking is why the Lions are in this mess.
                          Scott Wright, President
                          Draft Countdown.com
                          www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                          www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                            Of the 160+ WRs currently in the NFL I would definitely put Calvin Johnson in the top 10. That's exclusive enough for my liking.

Ok, lets say he is, the original argument is that "Stafford is an elite player"

Do they have an elite DEFENSIVE player?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                              You may have to sacrifice one season for a decade of success.

That type of short-sighted thinking is why the Lions are in this mess.
                              True, teams must make a choice between the money or the wins

what they fail to see is that with success comes fans and with fans comes money

Besides what Detroit fan that hasnt disbanded them already would decide not to attend a game due to Stafford not playing?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information