The Best 3-4 Outside Linebackers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best 3-4 Outside Linebackers

Which linebackers/and or DEs will fit best as 3-4 OLBs in the NFL?

Brian Orakpo
    Everette Brown
    Aaron Maybin
    Larry English
    Michael Johnson
    Brian Cushing
    Clay Matthews
    Clint Sintim
    Connor Barwin

Those are probably the names you'll hear most often.

Comment

This is the appropriate thread I guess...

Is Larry English 274 lbs. or 255 lbs.?

Anyone know for sure?
      "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

English was 255 at the Combine, 254 at the Senior Bowl

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
        - For daily NFL draft coverage:
        www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Originally posted by Goblinslayer View Post
          Which linebackers/and or DEs will fit best as 3-4 OLBs in the NFL?

If i were going with a 3-4 OLB early in this draft i would go with Connor Barwin. Formerly a TE who was outstanding at DE this year. I think you have to question his upper body strength at 21 reps (needs to work on that) but beyond that he was almost freakish at the combine with 4.6 speed, 10-6 jump and a 41 inch vertical at 6-3 and 255lbs. My list would include:

Barwin
          Brown
          English
          Matthews
          Maybin
          Sintim

Dont consider Cushing and Orakpo as 3-4 OLBs

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
            I think you have to question his upper body strength at 21 reps (needs to work on that)

Basic strenght training tells you that anything over 10 reps is not muscle strength but muscular endurance. 21 isn't bad endurance for a DE/OLB, he doesn't need much work in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by energizerbunny View Post
              Basic strenght training tells you that anything over 10 reps is not muscle strength but muscular endurance. 21 isn't bad endurance for a DE/OLB, he doesn't need much work in that area.
              The best at the combine at the OLB position in the bench were:

Cushing-30
              Brown- 26
              Curry-25
              Maybin-24
              Matthews-23
              English-22
              Barwin-21

You can see Barwin isnt far from the average but i'd still love to see him more towards the top than the bottom.

Comment

I always wondered why they don't do max bench, max squat, olympic lifts, etc. at the combine? Bench press for reps seems so pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by I KNOW IT ALL View Post
                  I always wondered why they don't do max bench, max squat, olympic lifts, etc. at the combine? Bench press for reps seems so pointless.
                  It's an endurance thing that you have to work hard for and build up to. The bench press itself is a very overrated determinant for strength in my opinion.
                  Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                  RIP themaninblack

Comment

<Obligatory Phillip Hunt pimpin'>

Phillip Hunt, Houston

</Obligatory Phillip Hunt pimpin'>

Comment

Orakpo
                      Maybin
                      E.Brown
                      Matthews
                      English
                      Sintim
                      Barwin
                      Sidbury
                      C.Brown

Ayers could play 3-4 OLB, he is a similar player to Justin Tuck of the Giants, can play outside in a 4-3 and inside on passing downs, and can play OLB in a 3-4 like I said. Very versatile guy. Cushing would be an ILB in a 3-4.

I think Sintim is more one dimensional than the other guys who are expected to be picked in the 1st two rounds, he's really just a pure pass rusher right now, but he has experience playing outside linebacker in college so that's a plus. Barwin is a great athlete, but his skills are very raw. With some coaching and refinement he has a very high ceiling, is a lot like Mike Vrabel. English is gonna be a great value in the early second, could sneak into the late first. Clay Matthews is not for every team, but he would be a great fit in some schemes, esp. Miami's.
                      Last edited by keylime_5; 03-12-2009, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                        Orakpo
                        Maybin
                        E.Brown
                        Matthews
                        English
                        Sintim
                        Barwin
                        Sidbury
                        C.Brown

Ayers could play 3-4 OLB, he is a similar player to Justin Tuck of the Giants, can play outside in a 4-3 and inside on passing downs, and can play OLB in a 3-4 like I said. Very versatile guy. Cushing would be an ILB in a 3-4.

I think Sintim is more one dimensional than the other guys who are expected to be picked in the 1st two rounds, he's really just a pure pass rusher right now, but he has experience playing outside linebacker in college so that's a plus. Barwin is a great athlete, but his skills are very raw. With some coaching and refinement he has a very high ceiling, is a lot like Mike Vrabel. English is gonna be a great value in the early second, could sneak into the late first. Clay Matthews is not for every team, but he would be a great fit in some schemes, esp. Miami's.
                        I remember Vrabel at a similar stage and it seems like he was a more established pass rusher but certainly not the athlete that Barwin is. Barwin is also a weapon as a TE on goal line situations. That comparison is a great one but i guess the question is how much do you pay for the next Mike Vrabel?

Comment

English is listed at 274 here: http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...glish?id=80423

255 here: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/...layer?id=24761

What gives?
                          "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

Barwin is a freak athlete and better than any OLB prospect coming out of USC.

OLB is one of the deeper positions in the draft, with a number of guys who should have excellent pro careers.

Most of them have the versatility to play in a 3-4 or a 4-3, depends what skill set you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by parrish_lemar24DBSkins View Post
                              Barwin is a freak athlete and better than any OLB prospect coming out of USC.

Most of them have the versatility to play in a 3-4 or a 4-3, depends what skill set you're looking for.
                              disagree

1) cushing is a MUCH better 4-3 olb prospect than barwin and a tad better 3-4 olb prospect.

2) i would say barwin and matthews are about even as 3-4 olb's....why the usc hate?

3) i dont think any of the converted college d.e.'s would make good 4-3 olb's.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information