Who are the best 4-3 LE's available?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are the best 4-3 LE's available?

He everybody, I'm new to the board in posting but I've been lurking here for years (specifically around draft time).

Being that my Washington Redskins are in need of a 4-3 LE, (a true one not like Mr. Dancing with the stars, who just got the boot),

I was wondering who are the best LE's available?

Thanks in advance...

Tyson Jackson, LSU
    Robert Ayers, Tennessee
    Michael Bennett, Texas A&M
    Rulon Davis, Cal
    Pannel Egboh, Stanford
    Zach Potter, Nebraska
    "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

I like Larry English a lot.

Comment

I think michael johnson could be an excellent l.e., he has the frame to get to 280 pounds or more in his prime and he is an amazing athlete with better production than givin credit for...you would have to get him in the first thou.

Jaron Gilbert would be another option with the first pick and he would be a justin tuck type and kick in to u.t. (also a need) on passing downs.

shaugnessy and sidbury are good value in the third.
        Last edited by roscoesdad27; 03-12-2009, 08:00 PM.

Comment

I think Tyson Jackson (run stopper) and Larry English (pass rusher) are both well-rounded enough, and have similar grades, it's just based on preference at that point. Like I mentioned, Jackson offers more in run support and English more as an edge rusher, although it's not like either one is bad in either category. Robert Ayers is an option in the second.

Comment

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
            I think Tyson Jackson (run stopper) and Larry English (pass rusher) are both well-rounded enough, and have similar grades, it's just based on preference at that point. Like I mentioned, Jackson offers more in run support and English more as an edge rusher, although it's not like either one is bad in either category. Robert Ayers is an option in the second.
            Larry English as a 4-3 LE could really become clearer if someone could confirm his actual weight! It's a 19-lb difference on NFL.com from ESPN. (274-255)
            "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

It's 255 as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by roscoesdad27 View Post
                I think michael johnson could be an excellent l.e., he has the frame to get to 280 pounds or more in his prime and he is an amazing athlete with better production than givin credit for...you would have to get him in the first thou.

Jaron Gilbert would be another option with the first pick and he would be a justin tuck type and kick in to u.t. (also a need) on passing downs.

shaugnessy and sidbury are good value in the third.
                Michael Johnson can be a great anything, if he gives a damn. The sky is the limit for him, he just has to want it.

Comment

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
                  It's 255 as far as I know.
                  If he is 255, he has got to have other-wordly strength, hand placement, explosion of the snap, and other technique to be a successful LE. I know he is more of a pass rusher, but at 255 as a LE, that is really tough to ask of anybody. The LE usually gets run at more and have to face more raod-grading type guys. Sure he could make a great impact as a pass rusher, but if he is going to be a 4-3 End, he is best suited as a RE, especially if he needs to bulk up from 255 lbs.
                  Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                    Michael Johnson can be a great anything, if he gives a damn. The sky is the limit for him, he just has to want it.
                    At least he wants to be in prime physical condition. People underrated how difficult it is to prepare yourself for football through off-field training.

MJ makes no sense to me. It should be easy to play hard on the field but difficult to dedicate oneself off the field.

That's why I love his potential. He's not a lazy dude in general, he just needs good coaching.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by etk View Post
                      At least he wants to be in prime physical condition. People underrated how difficult it is to prepare yourself for football through off-field training.

MJ makes no sense to me. It should be easy to play hard on the field but difficult to dedicate oneself off the field.

That's why I love his potential. He's not a lazy dude in general, he just needs good coaching.
                      last year he wouldve been a surefire first rounder.

but with Vernon Gholston fresh in everyone's mind, he's a 2nd rounder this year.

Theres too many factors for us to generalize. Maybe he's dumb. Maybe he's got an issue with coaching/ppl telling him what to do. Maybe he just doesn't care. Who knows.

I think with guys like him, the interview process and wonderlic do in fact give you a good idea of whether they're worth the risk or not.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
                        If he is 255, he has got to have other-wordly strength, hand placement, explosion of the snap, and other technique to be a successful LE. I know he is more of a pass rusher, but at 255 as a LE, that is really tough to ask of anybody. The LE usually gets run at more and have to face more raod-grading type guys. Sure he could make a great impact as a pass rusher, but if he is going to be a 4-3 End, he is best suited as a RE, especially if he needs to bulk up from 255 lbs.
                        what does weight have to do with it? He plays strong, and plays with good leverage. Michael Strahan at 255 lbs played like he was 300 lbs because of good size/strength and incredible leverage.

English definitely has the strength at that size to play base LE, and I think he has potential to play with great leverage as well.

English isn't a lanky, weak guy. He's squat and strong. He'll be fine at LE, regardless of what he weighed in as.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                          what does weight have to do with it? He plays strong, and plays with good leverage. Michael Strahan at 255 lbs played like he was 300 lbs because of good size/strength and incredible leverage.

English definitely has the strength at that size to play base LE, and I think he has potential to play with great leverage as well.

English isn't a lanky, weak guy. He's squat and strong. He'll be fine at LE, regardless of what he weighed in as.
                          Strahan had an insanely strong base, insanely strong arms and hands which he used to his advantage very well, and he was smooth with good feet.

English....meh. He can hold up fine as a RDE but it's a liability to have him and another pass rush type on the field on running downs.

Nothing wrong with the points you made, I just don't think he'll be fine at LE unless it's on passing situations.

With Michael Johnson, it's critical to interview the coaching staff and find out the circumstances surrounding him, the scheme and what not. From watching GT's defenses I got the idea that his role in the defense was not always a speed rush to get to the QB. They used him in a number of different ways which contributed to disappointing production from him. He's also slow at jumping the snap which could be attributed to coaching (avoid penalties).

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by etk View Post
                            Strahan had an insanely strong base, insanely strong arms and hands which he used to his advantage very well, and he was smooth with good feet.

English....meh. He can hold up fine as a RDE but it's a liability to have him and another pass rush type on the field on running downs.

Nothing wrong with the points you made, I just don't think he'll be fine at LE unless it's on passing situations.

With Michael Johnson, it's critical to interview the coaching staff and find out the circumstances surrounding him, the scheme and what not. From watching GT's defenses I got the idea that his role in the defense was not always a speed rush to get to the QB. They used him in a number of different ways which contributed to disappointing production from him. He's also slow at jumping the snap which could be attributed to coaching (avoid penalties).
                            English is a little stiff, and not as strong as Strahan, but I think he has potential. i like his squat frame, i think with good coaching, with better leverage, he can anchor the left side.

he's not going to be run stopper extraordinaire, but he'll be good enough to go with promising skills as a pass rusher.

i don't know what to make of Johnson. i see raw talent, and obviously untapped potential, but id only gamble on him if i was a team that didn't necessarily need a pass rusher and wanted to add quality depth. perhaps use him in a situational pass rushing role to cancel out his inconsistent motor, and take it from there.

Comment

jarron gilbert

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information