Matthew Stafford vs John Elway

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthew Stafford vs John Elway

Stafford reminds me of John Elway so much, from his arm strength, release, size. Hell, he even looks like John Elway. That said, who has or had the greater physical tools coming out of college. John Elway from Stanford or Matthew "John" Stafford from Georgia? Lets get opinions and feedback please.

Definitely John Elway. His arm was absolutely insane, even more so than Stafford's, and he was much more dangerous when running with the ball. Also, I always thought Matthew Stafford looked like Phil Mickelson.

Comment

Elway was probably my alltime favorite at any level. He didnt have the best supporting cast at Stanford and never got to a bowl game. The talent was all there though, size, vision, arm strength....i think the thing that stood out as much as that was the ability to avoid a pass rush. Really an unreal athlete.

Stafford has somewhat similar size (about an inch shorter) and very good footwork. His arm strength and touch i think is as good as Elway's but he's not the finished product. I think he too can be great but not ready to predict a trip to Canton.

Comment

before you hire a sculptor for the statue in Canton, I think you might note Elway had a better arm, better mobility, and quicker release. I really like Stafford, but you have to remember the prospect Elway was. There is a reason Elway was drafted #1 in the greatest QB class of all time. Before Kelly and Marino.

Comment

Well, John Elway is a NFL legend and Stafford is some scrub that has to prove anything before this talk can even begin. It is hard for me to look at the "before" picture of John Elway because of history.

Maybe some draft nuts from years back can.
          Die hard 49ers fan for over 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief49er View Post
            Well, John Elway is a NFL legend and Stafford is some scrub that has to prove anything before this talk can even begin. It is hard for me to look at the "before" picture of John Elway because of history.

Maybe some draft nuts from years back can.

I think the original topic was the better skillset out of college. Elway is the better prospect but Stafford doesnt take a back seat to anyone in the arm department.

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
              I think the original topic was the better skillset out of college. Elway is the better prospect but Stafford doesnt take a back seat to anyone in the arm department.
              Exactly was going to be my point, it was coming out of college. Yes, Elway was a better prospect, but Stafford definitely has some similar tools and he could develop into an Elway type of QB.

Follow Me on Twitter!
              https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

yeh John Elway was good. Stafford, who knows?
                my shoes hurt

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

Comment

I wasn't there personally at draft time, but from what I hear, John Elway was one of, if not, the best QB prospect of all time.

Stafford and Elway (and Cutler) share similar skill sets though. In terms of prospects though, I would rank them as: Elway >> Stafford > Cutler (I wasn't as high on Cutler as everyone else was during draft time).

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
                    Definitely John Elway. His arm was absolutely insane, even more so than Stafford's, and he was much more dangerous when running with the ball. Also, I always thought Matthew Stafford looked like Phil Mickelson.
                    Agreed, on all counts, especially Mickelson...
                    Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by JBond93 View Post
                      Exactly was going to be my point, it was coming out of college. Yes, Elway was a better prospect, but Stafford definitely has some similar tools and he could develop into an Elway type of QB.
                      I agree that both Elway and Stafford are similar as prospects. Its just Elway had just a little bit more of everything than it seems Stafford does. (I can't tell from personal experience, going off of what I've heard of Elway as a prospect, so take that for what its worth.) I do think Stafford can be an Elway type QB, so I agree JBond.

Comment

Stafford is a great, maybe even an elite QB prospect.
                        Elway was one of the best, if not the best ever QB prospect.

Comment

Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
                          I wasn't there personally at draft time, but from what I hear, John Elway was one of, if not, the best QB prospect of all time.

Stafford and Elway (and Cutler) share similar skill sets though. In terms of prospects though, I would rank them as: Elway >> Stafford > Cutler (I wasn't as high on Cutler as everyone else was during draft time).
                          Yup, John Elway, Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer were the best QB prospects of the last 25 years no doubt. All 3 have 100's across the board in terms of grade outs.

Comment

Originally posted by MarioPalmer View Post
                            Yup, John Elway, Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer were the best QB prospects of the last 25 years no doubt. All 3 have 100's across the board in terms of grade outs.
                            I wouldn't put Palmer up there as a prospect, but your mancrush is well known. But that is not what this thread is about!

Does Stafford succeed, even if he ends up with Detroit?

Follow Me on Twitter!
                            https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Originally posted by JBond93 View Post
                              I wouldn't put Palmer up there as a prospect, but your mancrush is well known. But that is not what this thread is about!

Does Stafford succeed, even if he ends up with Detroit?
                              Since QB success is dependant on so many outside factors, it is hard to tell. But he already has a great young option to throw to, a solid young RB. If they can solidify the O-line and have a decent D in Detroit (alliteration FTW), he will have a great chance to succeed. If he has a majority of those factors he also can succeed. But if The Lions continue to be mishandled, it will be very difficult for him to be considered a great success, since Detroit will most likely flounder if those things aren't handled properly...

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information