Jason Smith vs. Jake Long

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jason Smith vs. Jake Long

Is Jason smith a better prospect than jake long was?

Originally posted by Thunder&Lightning View Post
    Is Jason smith a better prospect than jake long was?
    No, he isn't.

Comment

not really..he may have a slight edge in the pass protection department, but Jake Long was a beast....

Best O-line prospect this decade however would have to be Joe Thomas

Comment

No. Jason Smith is a better pass-blocker, but he's not even in the same ballground with Long when it came to run-blocking.

On a scale of 1-5 I'd put:

Jason Smith
        Pass Blocking: 5
        Run Blocking: 3

Jake Long
        Pass Blocking: 4
        Run Blocking: 5

Comment

No. I would say Smith is more on Chris Williams level as a prospect than Jake Long.

Comment

Originally posted by Woody56 View Post
            No. I would say Smith is more on Chris Williams level as a prospect than Jake Long.
            Personally he reminds me a LOT of D'Brickashaw Fergason.

Comment

I'd take Jake Long every day of the week.

Comment

I would say I'd rather have Jason Smith five years down the line than Jake Long. I was never all too high on Long last season. I happen to be very high on Jason Smith. I saw Long as a very solid Left Tackle, but an All-Pro type Right Tackle. I see Smith as a true LT, a guy who has the ability to be an absolute stud at Left Tackle.

I would agree, Long was the far more polished prospect, more experienced, a much better run blocker, technically sound, and more balanced. Jason Smith though catches my eye with natural athleticism, agility, toughness, and a work ethic that would typically just scream overachiever. If Smith is an overachiever, with his natural ability, athleticism, etc, we could be looking at one of , if not the best Left Tackles in football five years down the line.

So, to make it interesting, I will say if I personally held a Top 3 pick in the 2008-2009 drafts, I would probably lean toward Jason Smith. Long was by far the more balanced and safer prospect, but I feel Smith gives me more upside and a personality that points to him being able to reach that potential.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

I really like Jason Smith but...

Eugene Monroe > Jason Smith

I think Long is going to be really solid for a long time but I think Monroe/Smith have the chance to be elite at their position.

Comment

andre smith is better than either of them and is the best runblocking o.t. that i have ever seen in college....jason smith belongs in a heavy pass scheme only imho.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePudge View Post
                      I would say I'd rather have Jason Smith five years down the line than Jake Long. I was never all too high on Long last season. I happen to be very high on Jason Smith. I saw Long as a very solid Left Tackle, but an All-Pro type Right Tackle. I see Smith as a true LT, a guy who has the ability to be an absolute stud at Left Tackle.

I would agree, Long was the far more polished prospect, more experienced, a much better run blocker, technically sound, and more balanced. Jason Smith though catches my eye with natural athleticism, agility, toughness, and a work ethic that would typically just scream overachiever. If Smith is an overachiever, with his natural ability, athleticism, etc, we could be looking at one of , if not the best Left Tackles in football five years down the line.

So, to make it interesting, I will say if I personally held a Top 3 pick in the 2008-2009 drafts, I would probably lean toward Jason Smith. Long was by far the more balanced and safer prospect, but I feel Smith gives me more upside and a personality that points to him being able to reach that potential.
                      Jake Long made the Pro Bowl as a LT this year.
                      I'm a state.

Comment

Originally posted by roscoesdad27 View Post
                        andre smith is better than either of them and is the best runblocking o.t. that i have ever seen in college....jason smith belongs in a heavy pass scheme only imho.
                        Why is it that some people can never answer the original question without saying "ZOMGZ MY FAVE PLAYER IS BETTER THAN BOTH"?

Comment

Long was every bit as good as Smith as a run blockler and Longs supporting cast at oline was a lot worse than Smiths. Not to mention none of these guys have the mean streak long had IMO. The crazy thing is that long was the second best OT in last years drat behind Clady.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
                            Jake Long made the Pro Bowl as a LT this year.
                            Yes, and he did play well. He surprised me with how quickly he came in and looked very natural on the Left Side. Did he play at a Pro Bowl level? No, not exactly. Ryan Clady was unanimously the best rookie OT, but got screwed out by Long because he was picked 11 picks earlier and the Phins underwent a massive overhaul and went from one win to a winning record. The Pro Bowl is very political.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                            - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                            www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

i would agree that Long would be the 4th best tackle if he was in this years class..

Smith,Monroe,Oher,Long.

Long is good but you guys are putting too much emphasis on his great rookie season, he is not as good as any of the top 3 guys this year..... Andre Smith is even better then him.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information