Most Important Quality in a QB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Important Quality in a QB?

To me, a quarterback can be blessed with all the arm strength and accuracy in the world, but if he doesn't have the work ethic and desire to win, what good are these tools if he doesn't put them to use. Work ethic is what separated Manning from Leaf, Rodgers from Alex Smith, McNabb from Couch (and pretty much every other QB in that class), and a ton of other examples from recent drafts. What does everybody else think is the best quality in a signal caller, and how it applies to this class of QBs?

Penn State Dolphins Dodgers Wolves FC

I agree work ethic and the desire to win, but i also think confidence and experience play a big part as well
    Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds
    Coples is that dude.
    Go Amare. I Love Tayshaun Prince...

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards

Comment

Leadership, work ethic, desire

Sig by BoneKrusher
      Matt Barkley will be the best QB to be selected in the Top 5 since Peyton Manning.

Comment

I think it is something I would call - Quick Positive Reflexive AND Deductive Action - or Q-PRADA.

Basically the ability to make POSITIVE decisions as a REFLEX to the opposition and DEDUCING the correct course of ACTION, QUICKLY... Say within a period of 1-3 seconds.

That is the Q-PRADA - Montana, Young, Namath, Bradshaw, Brady, Manning... They all have it.

Comment

Originally posted by jnew76 View Post
          I think it is something I would call - Quick Positive Reflexive AND Deductive Action - or Q-PRADA.

Basically the ability to make POSITIVE decisions as a REFLEX to the opposition and DEDUCING the correct course of ACTION, QUICKLY... Say within a period of 1-3 seconds.

That is the Q-PRADA - Montana, Young, Namath, Bradshaw, Brady, Manning... They all have it.

That's #1 in my book. You have to be able to read a defense. Which goes hand in hand with desire and work ethic. Without those you won't be able to read D. But you can have all the work ethic in the world and still not be able to get 'it'.

Comment

Yup, decision making and the ability to make those decisions quickly.
            Originally posted by SNIPER26
            fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

well rounded-ness

Comment

Originally posted by thechad31790 View Post
                Work ethic is what separated Manning from Leaf, Rodgers from Alex Smith, McNabb from Couch
                You can have all the work ethic and desire to win in the world. In won't amount to ANYTHING if you don't have talent. Also, Using your Rodgers/Smith comparison in regards to work ethic. Alex Smith reportedly does NOTHING but study football. Urban Meyer used to have to force Smith to stop watching film. While on injured reserve, instead of going home, Smith stayed at the 49ers facility and studied film. He has some of the best work ethic in the NFL. It hasn't translated to success.

Comment

Alex Smith had nothing but Vernon Davis when he played.

Comment

The ability to take control and lead the 10 men who work with him on offense.

Comment

Originally posted by thechad31790 View Post
                      To me, a quarterback can be blessed with all the arm strength and accuracy in the world, but if he doesn't have the work ethic and desire to win, what good are these tools if he doesn't put them to use. Work ethic is what separated Manning from Leaf, Rodgers from Alex Smith, McNabb from Couch (and pretty much every other QB in that class), and a ton of other examples from recent drafts. What does everybody else think is the best quality in a signal caller, and how it applies to this class of QBs?
                      I agree with your points, but outside of Manning/Leaf, your analogies to back it up don't match. Smith and Couch poor work ethic? How do you know? Could it be they just landed in a poor situation? Not every QB forced to play in year one can make things happen.

Comment

I'de say sub 4.40 lol

quick release and durable
                        INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: SUPER BOWL XLI CHAMPIONS!

Comment

There is no one thing that matters most. A QB has to have both the physical and mental talents to make it in the NFL. A 5'9, noodle armed QB with all the intangibles in the world won't make it and neither will a 6'7, rocket armed QB without the intangibles.

Comment

"It" is whats needed for a quarterback

"Even when winnings not probable, losings not optional"

Comment

Leadership, decision making, work ethic and ACCURACY-the most underrated aspect somehow for QBs. Frankly who cares if the guy can throw the ball 80 yds if he can't hit a barn door 10 yds away.

My problem with rating QBs is everyone will have different categories. For instance, Favre will rightly go down as one of the best of all time, however he was almost as likely to lose a game by himself as win one. Chad Pennington will not lose a game but very seldom will he win one.

Manning and Brady are perfect examples of a balance between both. Unless Cromartie is around :D , Peyton is not going to throw a game away but he can definitely orchestrate quick comebacks and likewise for Brady- he will very very rarely have a performance that will stop his team winning but will pull them out of a hole when necessary.

If my QB can ensure he takes care of the football and move the chains and make plays when needed, I couldn't care if it was ten screen passes in a row or one deep pass that won the game. Which brings me to the most important trait a QB can have. He has to be a winner. If you listened to people talk about Matt Ryan last year you would have heard a lot of good things regarding his physical and mental skills. But the one thing that really struck me was the amount of times when he was being evaluated and described simply as a winner

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information