X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.I. Article on Andre Smith

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...62/1/index.htm

Some really interesting stuff...

In an October matchup against Tennessee's defense—anchored by end Robert Ayers, who could be a high-round pick in this year's draft—Alabama put up 366 yards of offense, including 178 rushing, in a 29--9 victory. Ayers did get a hit on Tide quarterback John Parker Wilson, but Smith says he pulled up on the play because he thought Ayers had jumped the snap. When no offside flag was thrown, he barked at Ayers and told him what was to come. Says Smith, "He had a target on him for the remainder of the game."
    Several general managers scoffed at speculation that Smith could fall past the middle of the first round or out of it altogether. With Jason Smith of Baylor and Virginia's Eugene Monroe projected to be drafted in the top five, teams next in line that are looking for a tackle—including the Bengals (picking sixth), 49ers (10th) and Bills (11th)—will be plenty tempted by Alabama's Smith. "All I can say is that someone will get a steal if he does fall," says one coach whose team selects in the bottom half of the top 10. "I hope he's there when we're on the clock, because I know we'd take him."
    Joe Pendry, a former NFL assistant who was Smith's position coach the past two seasons, raved about Smith on pro day, citing his work ethic, leadership and tenacity. Pendry told one scout that Smith may have more upside than Redskins Pro Bowl tackle Chris Samuels.
    He has a naiveté about him that teams could find charming ... or alarming, considering the money he would command as a high first-round pick. Fame and fortune are known magnets for opportunists, and privately some teams wonder how long it will take Smith to learn life's lessons—and whether those lessons would be as painful for the team that picks him as they might be for him. Smith is universally regarded as a good kid, but he raised another red flag at his pro day when his guests included 30 family members, three trainers, a publicist and his agent.

"That's as much a problem as anything," says one G.M. picking in the top 10. "Nobody's questioning the guy's character; I haven't heard anybody say this guy is a jerk. But he's got to take charge, because once he gets drafted, these people aren't going to magically disappear. He needs to take hold of his life."
    "I want to be the best offensive lineman to ever play football, to ever strap them on," he says. "I feel like I can be the best. It's bold, but that's how I feel. I'm not being cocky or arrogant. It's just how I feel about myself."
    "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Smith says he pulled up on the play because he thought Ayers had jumped the snap.
    Ok, not to pick on the kid, but this is freaking ridiculous. You don't freaking stop on any play--especially as an Olineman! Your QB can get hurt.

And I don't care if you think you can be the best. Everybody thinks that. Lamont Jordan thought that. You have to put the work in to get there. So far, I haven't seen that. And for that, I will be truly ticked off if the Raiders draft Andre Smith.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

Washington shouldn't touch him but they need lineman.

#4 Duke Blue Devils (4-1)
      2010 & 2015 National Champions!!!
      2015 2K Classic Champions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cESr9VWpZc0
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs

Comment

If the giants drafted Andre Smith I would personally invite him to a boat ride for three.

Comment

Originally posted by JRTPlaya21 View Post
          I think he'd be ******* phenomenal in Washington. However, don't take him and let him drop to 21, kthxbai.

Comment

Originally posted by JRTPlaya21 View Post
            Don't worry, he won't last 'til then. I promise.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Hero View Post
              If the giants drafted Andre Smith I would personally invite him to a boat ride for three.
              too soon...

I think Smith is one of those guys who was so overrated by people on this board that now that he's come back down to earth he is starting to be underrated (ditto for Mike Oher, Knowshon Moreno, Michael Johnson, Malcolm Jenkins etc). No he's probably not polished enough to be a top 5 pick this year but he's still very good value in the mid first round and could end up being a great player in the league. Right now I have him going to Washington in the first frame.
              10 Favourite prospects for 2010: Colt McCoy, Dez Bryant, Golden Tate, Noel Devine, Ndamukong Suh, Greg Hardy, Eric Norwood, Travis Lewis, Eric Berry, Trevard Lindley

Comment

If the Skins are lucky enough to pick him, most in DC will consider it a successful draft.

He's the same player he was at the end of Alabama's season last year; 1st team AP All-American, All SEC, Lombardi and Outland Trophy winner.

Never understood all the hate against him. Doesn't matter just so he's there at #13.

Comment

IMO, it sounds like Ted Thompson on the GM comment and Sean Payton on the "we will take him comment"

Comment

I would welcome him at #10 to SF

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
                      IMO, it sounds like Ted Thompson on the GM comment and Sean Payton on the "we will take him comment"
                      says one coach whose team selects in the bottom half of the top 10.

It doesn't say "head" coach so who knows.

But we can confirm that there is a coach on the staff of either the Bengals, Raiders, Jaguars, Packers, or 49ers who thinks the team will take Andre Smith if (probable) he's there.
                      "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

The hate on this guy is absolutely unwarranted. He screwed up at the combine. It was odd and no one had ever seen something like that before. He also happens to be the best natural blocker out of anyone in the draft and probably the best left tackle prospect since Joe Thomas. Does everything you can ask him to on the football field. The idea of the main argument against a linemen being how he looks with his shirt off is absolutely ridiculous.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by gpngc View Post
                          says one coach whose team selects in the bottom half of the top 10.

It doesn't say "head" coach so who knows.

But we can confirm that there is a coach on the staff of either the Bengals, Raiders, Jaguars, Packers, or 49ers who thinks the team will take Andre Smith if (probable) he's there.
                          The 49ers have already said that he wouldn't fall past them at 10.

Comment

His talent is undeniable and he might be a good kid and all but he just doesn't seem to be all there mentally. While I think it would be a risk to draft him because of that, I still would not be upset if Cincy took him. I don't think I've seen a better offensive lineman on the field in the last couple of years at least.

^A Bonekrusher production^
                            Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

Originally posted by themaninblack View Post
                              His talent is undeniable and he might be a good kid and all but he just doesn't seem to be all there mentally. While I think it would be a risk to draft him because of that, I still would not be upset if Cincy took him. I don't think I've seen a better offensive lineman on the field in the last couple of years at least.
                              I think of him the way I do Marshawn Lynch, he's a good kid, who works hard but is somewhat of a knucklehead, the question is when does he learn from his mistakes and mature, I think Andre Smith is already getting there, I mean he dropped weight and had a very good Pro-Day so he seems to understand he's got to go back to work.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information