Surprise Teams to take an RB in Round 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprise Teams to take an RB in Round 1

Running Back's are often taken by teams unexpectedly because they are the most talented/best player on the board much like Pittsburg did last year. With the two RB system becoming the norm, who are some teams other than New Orleans, Houston, San Diego, Philly and Arizona who could take an RB in round 1?

Word is the Jets with Jones having a beef with his deal and getting a little older. Personally I don't see it, but that's what some of the NY area places are saying now.

I'd have to say I couldn't see it being any but Wells, maybe Brown in a trade down. And I don't really think it happens at all. Likelihood increases big time if LW is traded in a 3-Way Cutler deal, but the odds of that are pretty damn low so...

Comment

Maybe Cincinnati or Jacksonville could surprise and take Beanie. I think he might go a lot higher than he's being projected right now (20s-30s), he has the talent it's just a question of him taking the beating of an NFL season. Everyone assumes Denver is a lock to go defense (good bet), but they might shock the world and take Beanie or Knowshon. They don't really have a starting RB.

Comment

I don't think the 49ers would draft Wells but it would be a surprise. They want power running? I think Gore and Wells would be a lot of power.
        Taking a Knapp.

Comment

If Washington had no trade back, all four offensive tackles were off the board, and English had already been taken, I could see them grabbing Knowshon Moreno or LeSean McCoy.

Comment

I heard about beannie to Cincy as well, word is Mike Brown loves him and loves big 10 backs, hey they reached for Levi?

I heard about the Jets which makes a lot of sense with everything that is happening now. New Orleans/Houston I wouldnt be suprised.

My suprise team is the New York Giants - They dont have to reach for anyone, they are pretty set everywhere but WR and it wouldn't suprise me if they pass on WR because they dont normally contribute immediatley. They just lost Ward, Jacobs I think has not had an entire healthy season. If they loose Jacobs their offense is nothing. I have them taking Donald Brown in my last mock who would compliment Jacobs well.
            Patriots Draft 2015
            1. CB - Marcus Peters
            2. WR - Sammie Coates
            3. RB - David Johnson
            3. DT - Angelo Blackson
            4. OG - Tre Jackson
            4. DE - Za'Darius Smith
            5. LB - Ben Heeney
            6. TE - Wes Saxton
            7. OG - Jose Matais

Comment

The Cleveland Browns. Maybe trading back into the first round to grab Wells like they did with Brady Quinn, and like the Lions did with Kevin Jones.

Comment

beanie could go as high as 5 to the browns. i actually see that happening.

Comment

Bengals, Browns, Seahawks, 49ers could all trade back into the first and take a RB.

I think the Redskins are a possibility in round one, as are the Jets because of TJ's age and contract issues.

The Skins seem like a live sleeper. Portis' decline will come rapidly and unexpectedly and there's really nothing to look forward to behind him.
                  "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by NIN1984 View Post
                    I don't think the 49ers would draft Wells but it would be a surprise. They want power running? I think Gore and Wells would be a lot of power.
                    Wouldn't be out of the question but I dont think they'd lock up that much money in one position.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Jets take a RB.
                      Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                        They don't really have a starting RB.
                        No, but they go seven deep in backup running backs.

As for Cincinnati, I'd be a fool to say Chris "Beanie" Wells is an impossibility at 6th Overall, though it'd certainly ruffle some feathers. The team, though, seems more set on Knowshon Moreno as they have expressed a good amount of interest there. That would likely be late 1st if he falls, the Bengals may uncharacteristically trade up

Jacksonville is an interesting possibility for Wells at 8th Overall, especially if Crabtree/Maclin and J. Smith/Monore are gone. Bottomline, they are the most unpredictable team in the Top 10 because they could go QB (Stafford/Sanchez), RB (Wells), WR (Crabtree, Maclin, Heyward-Bey), OT (J. Smith/Monroe/A. Smith/Oher), DT (Raji), LB (Curry/Cushing/Maualuga), CB (Jenkins/Davis).

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                        - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                        www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Originally posted by RWills View Post
                          I heard about beannie to Cincy as well, word is Mike Brown loves him and loves big 10 backs, hey they reached for Levi?

I heard about the Jets which makes a lot of sense with everything that is happening now. New Orleans/Houston I wouldnt be suprised.

My suprise team is the New York Giants - They dont have to reach for anyone, they are pretty set everywhere but WR and it wouldn't suprise me if they pass on WR because they dont normally contribute immediatley. They just lost Ward, Jacobs I think has not had an entire healthy season. If they loose Jacobs their offense is nothing. I have them taking Donald Brown in my last mock who would compliment Jacobs well.
                          Giants def aint takin a RB in the 1st
                          LOUD & PROUD

NY GIANTS 4X SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RWills View Post
                            That was in 2002 before Marvin Lewis arrived. Mike Brown really doesn't have any say in the draft process, he's just kind of there. Also, more buzz has been generated by the coaches in Cincinnati about Knowshon Moreno.

edit: For the first time today heard rumors of interest between Chris "Beanie" Wells and Cincinnati as reported in the Cincinnati Enquirer.
                            Last edited by ThePudge; 03-19-2009, 02:49 PM.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                            - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                            www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Originally posted by Kase1 View Post
                              Giants def aint takin a RB in the 1st
                              If Beatty, Nicks, DHB, Harvin and Britt are gone but Chris Wells or Knowshon is available I could see us going that way. We really don't have any needs beyond a future number one WR and a future LT, if there's no value at those spots in the first I could see us going after a RB, DE, SLB, SS or TE.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information