Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First round tips from Gil Brandt

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...-gil-bran.html

LSU DE Tyson Jackson will go in the Top 5. Not might. Will. This qualified as the biggest shocker, to me, since almost every mock draft I looked at pegged Jackson to be a mid- to late first-rounder at best. I thought the Top 5 was pretty locked in, too. But, of course, I shouldn’t have doubted Mr. Brandt. I asked around after the show to see if I could confirm it, and sure enough one NFL source I know did tell me he’s heard the Kansas City Chiefs might take Jackson at No. 3, or trade down and take him a few picks later.

• The Seattle Seahawks, at No. 4, will likely select either Texas Tech WR Michael Crabtree or USC QB Mark Sanchez.

• Crabtree will fall somewhere between Picks 4 and 10, though given the variables it was impossible to guess exactly where.

• The Oakland Raiders will take a receiver at No. 7 (and it’s hard to imagine them passing on Crabtree if he’s available, so I suppose we can narrow down Crabtree’s placement to 4-7).

• There will be no defensive backs taken in the Top 10.

• The Saints, at No. 14, are looking for a big cornerback, and Ohio State’s Malcolm Jenkins is a good bet to be their guy.

• The New England Patriots, at No. 23 will take a linebacker.

• Oklahoma T Phil Loadholt (6-7, 332) will go in the first round of the draft. His teammate, G Duke Robinson (6-5, 330, and the top-rated guard on most boards), will not.

• Cincinnati DE Connor Barwin didn’t begin this process as a first-rounder, but he has managed to sneak himself into the bottom of the first round.

• The Buffalo Bills are targeting a DE with the 11th pick (and not Tennessee DE Robert Ayers, by the way). They are also pretty high on Oklahoma State TE Brandon Pettigrew, but aren’t likely to take him unless they trade down a few spots. (Important note: Things have obviously changed a little since then, since the Bills acquired a second first-round pick from Philadelphia in the Jason Peters trade. Now the Bills have both the 11th and 28th pick. Of course, they also have an obvious need for a tackle).

Originally posted by Who Dat Nation View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...-gil-bran.html

LSU DE Tyson Jackson will go in the Top 5. Not might. Will. This qualified as the biggest shocker, to me, since almost every mock draft I looked at pegged Jackson to be a mid- to late first-rounder at best. I thought the Top 5 was pretty locked in, too. But, of course, I shouldn’t have doubted Mr. Brandt. I asked around after the show to see if I could confirm it, and sure enough one NFL source I know did tell me he’s heard the Kansas City Chiefs might take Jackson at No. 3, or trade down and take him a few picks later.

• The Seattle Seahawks, at No. 4, will likely select either Texas Tech WR Michael Crabtree or USC QB Mark Sanchez.

• Crabtree will fall somewhere between Picks 4 and 10, though given the variables it was impossible to guess exactly where.

• The Oakland Raiders will take a receiver at No. 7 (and it’s hard to imagine them passing on Crabtree if he’s available, so I suppose we can narrow down Crabtree’s placement to 4-7).

• There will be no defensive backs taken in the Top 10.

• The Saints, at No. 14, are looking for a big cornerback, and Ohio State’s Malcolm Jenkins is a good bet to be their guy.

• The New England Patriots, at No. 23 will take a linebacker.

• Oklahoma T Phil Loadholt (6-7, 332) will go in the first round of the draft. His teammate, G Duke Robinson (6-5, 330, and the top-rated guard on most boards), will not.

• Cincinnati DE Connor Barwin didn’t begin this process as a first-rounder, but he has managed to sneak himself into the bottom of the first round.

• The Buffalo Bills are targeting a DE with the 11th pick (and not Tennessee DE Robert Ayers, by the way). They are also pretty high on Oklahoma State TE Brandon Pettigrew, but aren’t likely to take him unless they trade down a few spots. (Important note: Things have obviously changed a little since then, since the Bills acquired a second first-round pick from Philadelphia in the Jason Peters trade. Now the Bills have both the 11th and 28th pick. Of course, they also have an obvious need for a tackle).
    I always felt this guy knew what he was talking about:)

Comment

I'll be shocked if Jackson goes top 5 and surprised if he goes top 10, but Brandt knows a hell of a lot about football.

Comment

I suppose that if "Jackson is going top 5" is accurate, it almost has to be to the Chiefs, right? What other destination in the top 5 would make sense for him?

Comment

I can't believe the Chiefs would make a need pick in the top-five over value and overdraft Tyson Jackson.

I don't know how people look at Jackson and see the production of probable HOFer Richard Seymour.

I'll be pissed if the Bills pick DE Michael Johnson, only because I'd love to have him playing next to Haynesworth in Washington, but he should fit in well with their defense.

Comment

Just push Crabtree down...

to the Raiders!!!
            Kaepernick is this years pat white. Thin, gimmick offense and doesn't possess an nfl arm. The ncaa constantly regurgitates clones of past players and amazingly enough, tricks some people into thinking they're better than their cloned half. Kaepernick was a complete waste of a senior bowl qb spot. A better qb will come from the east/west shrine or whatever they're calling it now...count on it

- Genius

Comment

Originally posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
              I suppose that if "Jackson is going top 5" is accurate, it almost has to be to the Chiefs, right? What other destination in the top 5 would make sense for him?
              The Browns could possibly be a sleeper. Or the Packers moving up or someone. Still unlikely but yeah Chiefs at 3 is looking like a true possibility.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
              Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

The Cheifs....

Originally posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
                The Browns could possibly be a sleeper. Or the Packers moving up or someone. Still unlikely but yeah Chiefs at 3 is looking like a true possibility.

and the Browns are the most likely suitors. It does make sense that the Packers woud have to move up to get him, though. At #9, who is it that they would need to leapfrog?
                Kaepernick is this years pat white. Thin, gimmick offense and doesn't possess an nfl arm. The ncaa constantly regurgitates clones of past players and amazingly enough, tricks some people into thinking they're better than their cloned half. Kaepernick was a complete waste of a senior bowl qb spot. A better qb will come from the east/west shrine or whatever they're calling it now...count on it

- Genius

Comment

this means that Raji will be a Packer :) pleaseZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!

Comment

Nice, maybe the Bills are looking at Maybin? Or Everette Brown? I was never a big Ayers guy so I hope they don't take him.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bolt View Post
                      to the Raiders!!!
                      Not that the "Al Davis doesn't know what he's doing" line isn't all played out (even if it's true), but would anybody really be surprised of the Raiders are looking at both Maclin and Crabtree on the board when they pick, if they went with Maclin?

Davis has always (even when the Raiders were good) been a guy who values physical attributes like speed, size, and strength over most everything else. With questions about Crabtree's size (everybody thought he was taller before the combine), and his speed (he never ran for scouts this offseason), I could see Maclin higher on their board. It's not like Maclin at #7 is a terrible reach, most people think he's probably worthy of a top 10 pick, it's just that most people have Crabtree higher, but does Davis?

Originally posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
                      I doubt the Packers move up, their draft war-room very much operates on a "if we have n guys ranked about the same at the top of our board, see if you can trade down as many as n-1 spots" model rather than "fall in love with a guy, and do what it takes to get him." By what I'm hearing, Green Bay has Andre Smith, Michael Oher, and Tyson Jackson ranked about the same. It's terribly unlikely one of those guys won't be there at 9. I could see Green Bay trying to trade up to #5 if Monroe or J. Smith were available there, assuming the price for trading up this year is as low as rumored. But Ted Thompson is a "never overpay for anything" kind of guy, so it it would cost more than about a third round pick to trade up with Cleveland, he probably wouldn't do it.
                      Last edited by PossibleCabbage; 04-20-2009, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Why in the holy name of **** are the Saints looking for a CB when we have Tracy Porter and signed Jabari Greer as a FA. How stupid would our front office be to draft someone and push down someone you paid for in free agency as well as another person you're paying a good sized contract for in Randall Gay to play nickel.

Please, if we're going to get anyone at 14 it's going to be Mark Sanchez.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                        WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
                          Not that the "Al Davis doesn't know what he's doing" line isn't all played out (even if it's true), but would anybody really be surprised of the Raiders are looking at both Maclin and Crabtree on the board when they pick, if they went with Maclin?
                          I would say there is zero chance the Raiders draft Crabtree. Al Davis isn't going to buy goods unseen, especially when his speed is a real issue on the game film that everyone likes to talk about.
                          Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                            Why in the holy name of **** are the Saints looking for a CB when we have Tracy Porter and signed Jabari Greer as a FA. How stupid would our front office be to draft someone and push down someone you paid for in free agency as well as another person you're paying a good sized contract for in Randall Gay to play nickel.

my thoughts exactly

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                            - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                            - Corner or Wideout in the first
                            - No reaching
                            - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post

I swear to God, people want it their way.

Okay, so you don't agree with selecting Beanie Wells at 14. But, you also don't agree with us selecting Jenkins either?

Erm, Jenkins would be a very nice addition to our defense either at corner or free safety.
                              The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information