Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What team ends up with Sanchez? Per sources, most interested teams inside

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=4092024

The Seahawks, Browns, Redskins and Jets are all supposedly the most interested according to this article. I could see the Seahawks and Browns smokescreening this, but the other two teams probably have legitimate interest and might be battling to move up. I wouldn't have expected him to end up being picked until the latter part of the top 10, but the interest in moving up by teams outside the top 10 may be too great.

I'm going to say he'll become a Redskin, and the Jets will get a serviceable QB with upside in Jason Campbell for a midround pick once that happens.

I think the Seahawks have a legit interest. Sanchez should be a good QB and would have no pressure b/c of Hasselbeck.

Cleveland probably depends on Quinn. If they're not really close to any deal for Quinn then it's a smokescreen.

Both teams would probably rather trade down, though.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
      I think the Seahawks have a legit interest. Sanchez should be a good QB and would have no pressure b/c of Hasselbeck.
      Don't you usually want to get your QB for the future to groom behind your august starter in about the 20s, not the top 5? If Hasselbeck plays the next two years and Seattle drafts Sanchez, they're paying a lot of money for a guy to hold a clipboard. Unless Seattle thinks Hasselbeck is done, I just don't see it happening.
      Last edited by PossibleCabbage; 04-23-2009, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Wonder why they left out Denver and Jacksonville?

A sleeper team are the 49ers.

Comment

I think he's off the board at #4 to the Seahawks barring a trade.

I also think teams will be very careful about trading into the top few spots this year because of the salary cap implications. Look for teams trading down to get low value for their high picks if any deal does happen (I'm predicting no trades until Jacksonville at the earliest).

Comment

Originally posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
            Don't you usually want to get your QB for the future to groom behind your august starter in about the 20s, not the top 5? If Hasselbeck plays the next two years and Seattle drafts Sanchez, they're paying a lot of money for a guy to hold a clipboard. Unless Seattle things Hasselbeck is done, I just don't see it happening.
            It's a good idea for Seattle if the money weren't so enormous for a #4 overall quarterback. You're talking about $70 mill with about $35 mill guaranteed based on what Ryan got at #3 last year. You don't pay a guy that much and keep him on the bench for 2 years IMO. It's just not feasible. They need to get a QBOTF, but Hasselbeck has enough juice to buy them some time to where it can be a lower pick at some point, where the investment is going to be much less and a guy can sit without killing the team's finances.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm sure they like him a lot (especially for their system), but I just don't think this is a realistic fit. BTW, Hasselbeck is still getting I think $5-6 mill a year for the next two years and his cap number is approaching $10 mill (correct me if I'm wrong).

Comment

I really dont think the Jets should go for a QB they have 3 young QB who all have good potential. Is Jason Campbell that bad, I didnt think he did that horrible last year, the Skins would be better off with him at least for another year then totally setting themselves back with a rookie QB. Denver has Orton, who could be a decent starter especially if McDaniels can coach him up, maybe denver takes a qb after the 1st round to groom as a replacement/ back up. Im not sure if Seattle wants to spend that much money on having to QBs and they also have Wallace. I Could see Jacksonville or the 9er's going for Sanchez. I can also see the Rams going for Sanchez but only if they can trade down. I'm also going to throw out a long shot and say maybe the Eagles could try to trade up for him as a replacement for McNabb.
              Big Blue Wrecking Crew

Comment

Originally posted by FrankGore View Post
                I'm going to say he'll become a Redskin, and the Jets will get a serviceable QB with upside in Jason Campbell for a midround pick once that happens.
                Everybody keeps saying the Jets lack experience at QB, and that's the major criticism. I don't really see how a rookie helps that at all. I'd take Campbell for a mid-rounder though, and this is my favorite scenario for the Jets. Get some experience at the position, good competition for the younger guys and in all likelihood a solid potential starter, still young, don't give up too much, and no Josh Freeman.

Comment

I could easily see some team who doesn't really need or want Sanchez picking him early anyway, so they can hold him hostage and trade him to a team picking later that really wants him, in effect forcing a trade-down.

Risky though, but I could see it.

Comment

Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                    no Josh Freeman.

Drafting Freeman would be the worst thing for the Jets to do.
                    Big Blue Wrecking Crew

Comment

Originally posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
                      Don't you usually want to get your QB for the future to groom behind your august starter in about the 20s, not the top 5? If Hasselbeck plays the next two years and Seattle drafts Sanchez, they're paying a lot of money for a guy to hold a clipboard. Unless Seattle thinks Hasselbeck is done, I just don't see it happening.
                      Yes, but I don't think Seattle's is the typical QB of the future situation. It will be expensive, but it's not like Hasselbeck was out with a knee injury. Back problems are upredictable and that has to worry the Seahawks. They could get a guy who is a great fit for them and have the insurance for what is an easily exacerbated injury.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Originally posted by FrankGore View Post
                        It's a good idea for Seattle if the money weren't so enormous for a #4 overall quarterback. You're talking about $70 mill with about $35 mill guaranteed based on what Ryan got at #3 last year. You don't pay a guy that much and keep him on the bench for 2 years IMO. It's just not feasible. They need to get a QBOTF, but Hasselbeck has enough juice to buy them some time to where it can be a lower pick at some point, where the investment is going to be much less and a guy can sit without killing the team's finances.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm sure they like him a lot (especially for their system), but I just don't think this is a realistic fit. BTW, Hasselbeck is still getting I think $5-6 mill a year for the next two years and his cap number is approaching $10 mill (correct me if I'm wrong).
                        Seattle sounds like they're about 50-50 on what they're going to do, at least that's how the papers are reporting it. I think there are a couple of factors that play into their choice:

1. What is the health of Walter Jones' knee, if they think he can go and give them another year or two i think the OT is either put on hold or addressed in later rounds.
                        2. Do they view Matt Hasselbeck in terms of playing one more year or do they view him as their QB for the next few years, as for his salary i'm sure it isnt guaranteed beyond this year so the team could cut him after this year freeing up the money to pay Sanchez.
                        3. How confident are they that last year was an aberation and that they will return to playoff form, if they do then maybe this is their best chance to grab your QB for the next 12 years.

I think it will go right up to the time they are on the clock, they arent going to show their hand and have someone take Mark at #2 or #3. Still a chance that #4 is where Sanchez goes via the trade route with Seattle.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                          A sleeper team are the 49ers.
                          No, they are not because he'll be gone before then. And even if he isnt, they wont take him unless they're doing it to trade him (ala Eli Manning).

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

It's funny thinking back to just a month or so ago on here when many, many posters argued that Sanchez might not even get drafted in the 1st round.

Originally posted by BrownsTown

If Chase Daniel finishes top 5 in the Heisman I'll cut my balls off.

2008 COTTON BOWL CHAMPIONS

Comment

I'm very disappointed to see that the Saints are not interested in Mark Sanchez.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                              WHO DAT!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information