X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3pac
    started a topic Looking ahead to next year....Colt McCoy

Looking ahead to next year....Colt McCoy

Anyone have some good info on him? How's he seem to be stacking up so far as a prospect, and does he appear at this time to be ahead of Sam Bradford?

• crisco0710
    replied
    I remember the snead and McCoy situation, and at the time I wanted Snead to start, and thought he was more athletic and better suited to run UT's offense.

Leave a comment:

• parrish_lemar24DBSkins
    replied
    Longhornslegend, all I ask when someone makes the case that Snead is a better pro prospect that McCoy is to provide a simple breakdown of where Snead is superior to Colt, because I sure as heck don't see it in Snead's play or on the field.

For the record, I never said Snead wouldn't be a solid pro QB prospect, I was responding to the opinions that Snead is arguably a 1st round pick and Colt is more likely a 4th rounder.

I've seen where Colt is listed at 6'3, Snead, 6'2, which to me means they'll probably measure in at the same height. Weight about the same. Maybe Snead has a stronger arm bur definitely not elite. So where's the separation besides offensive system and experience, the latter of which favors McCoy.

No one's really made the argument succinctly why there would be that much separation between the two, especially when comparing their effectiveness and productivity on the field.

And FYI, my whole extended family is from Houston and Prairie View and I've been force fed more than my share of Texas fandom.

Granted I can't fairly speak for the opinion of all Texas fans, but of the ones I know personally, they felt the transfer of Snead was a good thing for all parties involved.

And what's with so many posters dropping phrases like, "it's pretty obvious you didn't know the situation very well", or "it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about"?

IMO, there's no need for the gratuitous insult because you obviously don't agree with my opinion. Unless it's an obvious misstatement of FACT, not opinion, the strength and credibility of your own argument should carry enough weight without tossing in the personal attack for good measure.

Leave a comment:

• wicket
    replied
    I dont like colt as a pro player AT ALL. You can basicly say all the things about him as you can say about tebow with a weaker arm and a worse frame imo. I think he will be drafted in the fourth or something on the back of (deserved) college hype but I dont see him translating to the pros

Leave a comment:

• LonghornsLegend
    replied
    Originally posted by parrish_lemar24DBSkins View Post
    The point is, Brent, no Texas fan that I know thought Snead would EVER beat out Colt as the starter and felt he was better off transferring, since he would be a career backup if he stayed in Austin.

Colt wasn't better because he was there a year earlier. Every other college program has an underclassmen starting over someone who's been in the program longer.

To say that Colt had a year more reps on the scout team is the reason he won the starting job tells me you lack a fundamental misunderstanding on how Mack Brown stacks his depth chart.

Colt plays the QB position at a higher level of proficiency than Snead, from what I've seen.

Snead may have ability, but to suggest he's a better pro prospect than Colt based on anything more than measurables, is inaccurate.

Well it's pretty obvious you didn't know the situation very well...Actually there were ALOT of UT fans who felt Snead could, and would, beat out McCoy for the job, and it's not just me...I preferred Snead more, and I remember a large portion of Longhorn fans did as well.

Snead was more athletic, and coming from a VY era I felt he would be a more dynamic weapon then Colt would...Still, it's very true to say that Snead has more pro potential then McCoy and I believe it.

Colt was very efficient, and he surprised me by how athletic he truly was once I saw him out there, but you can't knock what Snead did at Ole Miss this year...Colt was more experienced then him, and at that point had a better grip on the offense(evidenced by his RS-freshman year), but he was a true freshman so that means nothing.

JDB held Sanchez out of a job, Aaron Corp looks like he'll start over Matt Barkley, so does that mean Sanchez and Barkley aren't great pro prospects? Or the guy that beat them out will be better in the pro's?

Leave a comment:

• Sniper
    replied
    Originally posted by BBIB View Post
    All I know is it will be beyond hypocritical for the self prescribed experts to love and rave on Colt McCoy yet hate on Tim Tebow when they both play in that zone read option and Tebow has superior physical tools.
    The difference in their releases plays a big role in the love for McCoy and the hate on Tebow. I say that as one of the biggest Tebow fans out there.

Leave a comment:

• BBIB
    replied
    All I know is it will be beyond hypocritical for the self prescribed experts to love and rave on Colt McCoy yet hate on Tim Tebow when they both play in that zone read option and Tebow has superior physical tools.

Leave a comment:

• jth1331
    replied
    Personally, I like Colt as a potential NFL QB and think he could become a very efficient guy, similar to Drew Brees. Good accuracy, not a big arm, and has mobility. I like his potential in the NFL.

The knocks on Bradford are kind of funny to me. I watched every single game, and his accuracy was spot on every single play. He doesn't have a rocket arm, but neither does Peyton Manning. Bradford is smart, he does have some mobility when needed, makes quick decisions and gets the ball to his playmakers. I like his pro chances very much and think he could be very successful. He is a good leader, has the smarts to learn, amazing accuracy, and a solid arm.

Leave a comment:

• parrish_lemar24DBSkins
    replied
    IMO, Tebow, Bradford, and McCoy will all be starters in the pros and all will be gone before the end of the 2nd round in 2010.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Hero
    replied
    I'm going to defend Tebow since there seem to enough of you guys defending Snead, my number one QB for next year. The standard gripes with Tebow are his decision making due to his offense and his release. He can make ever NFL throw so his arm isn't really worth arguing about. We all know he's a ***** to bring down. Now last year he was able to quicken up his release and if he makes similar steps this season his release will be adequate, not a cutler like lightening release but a good enough release were he won't be Byron Leftwich. As for his system it's true that he'll take a season or two just to get prepared to run an NFL team, but, he's such a hard worker with the will to win that I think a team that's patient with him will reap major rewards. I just don't think that Colt will be a better leader in two or three years. At their peaks Colt seems to me like a poor man's Romo while Tebow has the tools to become a probowl QB if you have an Offense that's a good fit and bring him along properly. That's why I have Tebow as a higher rated QB. That sadi if you want an immediate starter yeah, Colt's a better fit, that said I never really see him surpassing pre-concussion Trent Edwards and thus I don't think he should go in the first. I think both him and Tebow are late first-mid second round QBs.

Leave a comment:

• Crimson79
    replied
    Barring injury Bradford is going to the 1st QB off the board.

Leave a comment:

• LookItsAlDavis
    replied
    Originally posted by parrish_lemar24DBSkins View Post
    Wow. Were you abused as a child, LookItsAlDavis?
    Or still just a child?

Man, I would LOVE to have a conversation with your badass in the flesh.....

So, Snead starting for one year and barely completing half his passes at Ol Miss would automatically vault him on your board over someone who's going to leave college as a fifth year senior and 4 year starter?

When people talk about how a player is head and shoulders a better prospect than someone else,( Snead, 1st rounder - McCoy 4th round) and the best argument they can present is, McCoy can't be any good because he played in a spread offense in college, that's a weak point at best and not credible.

Jevan Snead isn't Carson Palmer. He's listed as smaller than McCoy and his arm isn't elite.

Oh, and if Mack Brown thinks the best player is an underclassman, that's who starts at QB. See Chris Simms versus Major Applewhite.

You deal with that, brah.
    Who said Snead was high on my board anyway? I don't have a board. I just said I view him as a better prospect, because he is bigger, has a stronger arm, and plays in a tough conference that has the best defensive talent in the country.

If you were reading right, I brought up the spread offense that McCoy plays in to support my point that you shouldn't use player's stats as a blueprint for projecting them to the next level.

And Applewhite was a better player.

Leave a comment:

• cdub11
    replied
    Originally posted by Brent View Post
    Yeah, a RS freshman who had been in the system for a whole year should have been beat out by a guy who just showed up on campus. UT fans will even tell you that he looked like he wasnt ready to go out there during that K-State game.
    Thanks for the reminder :D

When Snead came into that game he looked lost although he did get much better as the game went on, I believe Texas was down by 21 or 24 and he brought them back to within 3.

At the beginning of that season I thought Snead would win the QB job, Jevan was a little bigger and had a better arm... Colt outplayed him, had better football IQ, knew the offense, didnt commit TO's was more consistant

Did the Redshirt year help McCoy win the QB battle? Yes

Leave a comment:

• parrish_lemar24DBSkins
    replied
    Originally posted by LookItsAlDavis View Post
    Please enlighten us on how he stacks his depth chart. I'm sure you have all of the answers.

You have to be a dumbass to not realize that a 3 year starter is going to going to be more proficient than a first-year starter.

You also need to look at the systems they each played in, and the teams they played. Snead played in the SEC. SEC=Defense, unless you're watching somebody play Florida. McCoy played in the Big 12, a league that was notoriously known for it's soft defenses this year. The only team in that conference that had anything close to a good d was the team Colt played on. Snead is a better NFL Prospect. Deal with it.
    Wow. Were you abused as a child, LookItsAlDavis?
    Or still just a child?

Man, I would LOVE to have a conversation with your badass in the flesh.....

So, Snead starting for one year and barely completing half his passes at Ol Miss would automatically vault him on your board over someone who's going to leave college as a fifth year senior and 4 year starter?

When people talk about how a player is head and shoulders a better prospect than someone else,( Snead, 1st rounder - McCoy 4th round) and the best argument they can present is, McCoy can't be any good because he played in a spread offense in college, that's a weak point at best and not credible.

Jevan Snead isn't Carson Palmer. He's listed as smaller than McCoy and his arm isn't elite.

Oh, and if Mack Brown thinks the best player is an underclassman, that's who starts at QB. See Chris Simms versus Major Applewhite.

You deal with that, brah.
    Last edited by parrish_lemar24DBSkins; 04-24-2009, 03:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TitleTown088
    replied
    I'm more excited about the McCoy that plays further north.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information