X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like I said Harvin is going to the Vikes

From the startribune

Report: Childress meets with Harvin
    April 23rd, 2009 – 2:16 PM by Judd Zulgad It appears the Vikings are extremely serious about taking Florida wide receiver Percy Harvin with the 22nd pick in the first round of Saturday’s draft.

The latest indication of the team’s interest in Harvin came on Wednesday when Vikings coach Brad Childress reportedly spent the day at the University of Florida meeting with Harvin. Vikings vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman declined to confirm the report by the National Football Post at a news conference this afternoon at Winter Park.

“What I would say is if you’re doing that, just in general, if a team is going out to do stuff, they’re doing just some last-minute things,” Spielman said. “There’s a couple of teams that are out this week. You can’t bring the players into the facility. That ended last week. So the only chance you get to go out if there was something that popped up in a meeting or something you definitely wanted to confirm. Then you have to go out to where that player is. So a lot of teams will do that this time of year.”

Harvin is a guy who many feel has top-10 talent and is a threat as both a receiver and running back. He projects to play wide receiver in the NFL and also is expected to return punts and kicks. But there also are plenty of questions surrounding his character and his injury history. The latest red flag about Harvin’s off-the-field behavior came when it was reported he tested positive for marijuana at the NFL Scouting Combine in February. Spielman said a few weeks back that the Vikings had put a red dot on 78 players — meaning there is absolutely no way they would select them — and admitted that number has grown.

However, it doesn’t appear Harvin has been given a red dot yet and Childress’ visit would seem to be an indication there is a good chance the Vikings will take Harvin if he’s there. The Vikings concerns with Harvin, however, go beyond his off-the-field issues.

The New York Daily News is reporting that Harvin has undergone multiple surgeries on his on his ankle and foot and has a “hole” in his bone that will require more surgery.

Smoke Screen... There has just been to much talk lately of how high the Vikings are on Harvin, and now on top of that childress supposedly personally visits him too. If the Vikings really coveted Harvin you think they are going to make it so obvious to rest the league? I sure don't, I still think Eben Britton is going to be their guy.

Comment

Good I pray he doesn't come to Baltimore. I also heard the vikes are strongly interested in Britton as well. It should come to Britton or Harvin.

Comment

This is far from a guarantee that they will draft him. Hell, they don't even know if he'll be available at that point.

Comment

I can totally understand why the Vikes may be willing to take a big risk on Harvin. Yeah, he has serious character questions, but he could be highly dominant on the football field at times against even top defenses.

Comment

I dont ever think he was a top ten talent so i'm not sure where that's coming from. I think he slides into the 2nd round but i'd roll the dice on him. Wouldnt mind him to the Pats, just not 1st round.

Comment

Yeah, a visit = he's going #22.

... I bet this thread is bumped in two days.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSTKUNTLAWL View Post
                Yeah, a visit = he's going #22.

... I bet this thread is bumped in two days.

The visit combined with a source that says 90% of the Viking staff wants Harvin as the pick and 10 players were interviewed and they all want him to be the pick too.

He'll be the pick. Unless someone has the balls to take him infront of us. Take away the injuries and "character concerns" and Harvin is one of the 5 best players in this draft. The Vikings are not stupid. I just can't believe all the teams in front of us are going to be dumb enough either though.

Comment

I'm not sure Zygi Wilf is going to sign off on picking this guy given the problems the StarCaps brothers, Jared Allen, Bryant McKinnie, etc. have or have had. That's just my opinion. I certainly wouldn't call it a slam dunk because of some random source and a visit after the positive weed test was confirmed.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankGore View Post
                    I'm not sure Zygi Wilf is going to sign off on picking this guy given the problems the StarCaps brothers, Jared Allen, Bryant McKinnie, etc. have or have had. That's just my opinion. I certainly wouldn't call it a slam dunk because of some random source and a visit after the positive weed test was confirmed.
                    Ziggy Wilf signed a 74 million dollar check to Jarred Allen after he had already been suspended and was 1 strike away from a 1 year suspension. I never thought I would say this about a Vikings owner but Ziggy Wilf has BALLS. I'd put him right up there with Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder. I dont know if thats a good thing or not.

Comment

A couple things for people to remember when it comes to Harvin and Minnesota.

-It has been talked about that we stay away from guys with off the field issues, yet we traded multiple picks for Jared Allen who was enrolled in the substance abuse program at the time of the trade.

-It's also mentioned that Minnesota being linked to Harvin is purely a smokescreen yet people ignore the fact that we are similarly linked to Britton and assume our interest in him is genuine.

-Brad Childress said numerous times in 2007 that the reason we took Adrian Peterson and ignored his "durability" concerns because people in the Minnesota camp simply couldn't ignore the film on AD. He was way too explosive to use that pick elsewhere, even though we already had signed Chester Taylor to starters money.

-The same injury news is being leaked about Harvin that was leaked in '07 prior to our selection of Adrian Peterson.

-Lastly and most importantly, a OT with talent similar to Britton can be had in the 2nd round while no one in the 2nd round will offer the upside and explosion that Percy Havin would bring to the table in Minnesota.

I understand that it is big risk in using that 22nd pick on Percy Harvin but the Minnesota's two biggest offensive play makers in the last 10 years were drafted with large question marks, whether it be off the field risks (Moss) or on the field durability concerns (Peterson). A final thought, in '07 Arizona passed on Peterson in favor of Levi Brown because they needed help on the offensive line and a few questions surrounded Peterson, ask them how that worked out.

I'm not saying I want Harvin more or less than anyone else. I'm one of the Viking fans that believe Britton will be the pick on Saturday. I just think that people shouldn't completely write off Harvin because of what is being said in the news. Jon Gruden put it best last week when he said "They are wearing rings in Gainesville because of this kid."

/rant.

Comment

Originally posted by BGB View Post
                        Ziggy Wilf signed a 74 million dollar check to Jarred Allen after he had already been suspended and was 1 strike away from a 1 year suspension. I never thought I would say this about a Vikings owner but Ziggy Wilf has BALLS. I'd put him right up there with Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder. I dont know if thats a good thing or not.
                        We'll see. The more you do it, the more you're pushing your luck and chances are things won't end well with at least one of them. I would think they'd limit it to just a couple guys. But maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by hagy34 View Post

-It has been talked about that we stay away from guys with off the field issues, yet we traded multiple picks for Jared Allen who was enrolled in the substance abuse program at the time of the trade.

-It's also mentioned that Minnesota being linked to Harvin is purely a smokescreen yet people ignore the fact that we are similarly linked to Britton and assume our interest in him is genuine.

-Brad Childress said numerous times in 2007 that the reason we took Adrian Peterson and ignored his "durability" concerns because people in the Minnesota camp simply couldn't ignore the film on AD. He was way too explosive to use that pick elsewhere, even though we already had signed Chester Taylor to starters money.

-The same injury news is being leaked about Harvin that was leaked in '07 prior to our selection of Adrian Peterson.

-Lastly and most importantly, a OT with talent similar to Britton can be had in the 2nd round while no one in the 2nd round will offer the upside and explosion that Percy Havin would bring to the table in Minnesota.

I understand that it is big risk in using that 22nd pick on Percy Harvin but the Minnesota's two biggest offensive play makers in the last 10 years were drafted with large question marks, whether it be off the field risks (Moss) or on the field durability concerns (Peterson). A final thought, in '07 Arizona passed on Peterson in favor of Levi Brown because they needed help on the offensive line and a few questions surrounded Peterson, ask them how that worked out.

I'm not saying I want Harvin more or less than anyone else. I'm one of the Viking fans that believe Britton will be the pick on Saturday. I just think that people shouldn't completely write off Harvin because of what is being said in the news. Jon Gruden put it best last week when he said "They are wearing rings in Gainesville because of this kid."

/rant.
                          Good points Hagy. I think people across the country see us as a conserivtive orginization but since Wilf came here it has been just the oppisite!

Poison pill deal to steal Hutchinson from Seattle
                          Trading up to land a D1aa QB in Tjack.........Ouch not so good there
                          Trading the farm for Allen already in the substance abuse program
                          Paying what ever it takes for Bernard Berrian
                          McKinnie hit someone over the head with a pole and he is still here.
                          Numerous trade ups in the drafts to get guys we want

Comment

Originally posted by hagy34 View Post

I understand that it is big risk in using that 22nd pick on Percy Harvin but the Minnesota's two biggest offensive play makers in the last 10 years were drafted with large question marks, whether it be off the field risks (Moss) or on the field durability concerns (Peterson). A final thought, in '07 Arizona passed on Peterson in favor of Levi Brown because they needed help on the offensive line and a few questions surrounded Peterson, ask them if how that worked out.

/rant.

There is a difference in the Vikings interest in Harvin vs. the Vikings interest in Eben Britton. All of the sudden you can't look any where with out hearing crap about Harvin. While as with Eben Britton the interest is reported but it's a lot more quiet and spread apart. The numerous reports are just too many all at one time, at too coincidental of a time(right before the draft) and then supposedly going to florida to meet with harvin and leaking that too. The situation is most likely just a smoke screen. Because if the Vikings truely covet Percy Harvin they are handling the situation very badly to just announce to the rest of the league how badly they want him.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
                              There is a difference in the Vikings interest in Harvin vs. the Vikings interest in Eben Britton. All of the sudden you can't look any where with out hearing crap about Harvin. While as with Eben Britton the interest is reported but it's a lot more quiet and spread apart. The numerous reports are just too many all at one time, at too coincidental of a time(right before the draft) and then supposedly going to florida to meet with harvin and leaking that too. The situation is most likely just a smoke screen. Because if the Vikings truely covet Percy Harvin they are handling the situation very badly to just announce to the rest of the league how badly they want him.
                              I just figure we dont think anyone has the balls to take him in front of us.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information