Georgia fans....Asher Allen???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgia fans....Asher Allen???

Vikings fan here! I was hoping to get some feed back on Asher Allen. I know most Vikings fans were pretty dissapointed that we took Allen over DJ Moore. After doing some more research I think Allen might have been the better pick and better fit in our cover 2 scheme. He has already done a few radio interviews here and he really admires Antione Winfield. I think he might be able to bring similar things to our D except is looks like he has a lot more speed then Winfield after seeing he ran a 4.33 at his pro day!

What can us Viking fans expect from this kid?

As a Viking fan myself, I really wish we could have got DJ Moore. Could be argued even Munnerlyn is a better slot corner than Asher Allen.

Allen is a good player though, will fit the mold that Gordon played last year as a nickle corner. Still DJ Moore is a bigger corner and far more athletic and gifted than Allen. Allen is a backup and most likely will never be a starter, Moore on the other had has starter potential down the road.

We did pickup Karl Paymah who will most likely be the nickle corner, and we also have Benny Sapp and Gordon as well. Where Allen fits in who knows, it is not a horrible pick but he was not the best corner there. Tough little kid but he has limited potential.

Comment

Asher Allen doesn't have 4.3 speed. He hardly has 4.4 speed. Very good natural cover corner though that made his national presence felt against Hawaii where he picked off Colt Brennan twice and shut down everyone across from him. Had a very nice junior year. Nothing special, but a solid corner that will make that team and contribute.
      Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
      Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
      I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
      Originally posted by bearsfan_51
      iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
      Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
      I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
      Originally posted by GoRavens
      Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

Allen came out early, he is a bit young in the tooth, but he is a great fit for the zone system the Vikings one. He may need a year or two to develop his skills. He can become a playmaker in your secondary since he is very natural and doesn't have to "think" before reacting/doing.

Follow Me on Twitter!
        https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

He's pretty typical of what you should expect to get from a CB in the middle rounds. He will likely never be a star, but should be a solid nickel and maybe eventual starter. He only played 3 years of college so he may have some upside.

Comment

He loves college.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
              Asher Allen doesn't have 4.3 speed. He hardly has 4.4 speed. Very good natural cover corner though that made his national presence felt against Hawaii where he picked off Colt Brennan twice and shut down everyone across from him. Had a very nice junior year. Nothing special, but a solid corner that will make that team and contribute.

So the stuff a read about him running a 4.33 40 at his proday isn't true?

Comment

He is a very good tacker and can come up and make plays agianst the run. He also was a good kick returner as a sophmore on Kick returns. He has experience in in zone coverage so I could see him coming in play right away as a nickle or dime back despite coming out early. He has played since his freshman year so has played in a lot of games. At times it was hard to judge him in games as UGA pass rush was one of the worst in the country this past year. If he would have came back for his senior year and played good he would have went earlier. I'm not sure what his true 40 time is, but i've never seen anyone run past him in the game.

Comment

i ******* loved Asher Allen.
                  I wanted him on the Falcons soooo bad (an im not even a UGA fan)

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

I am a UGA Alum so here is the skinny on Asher Allen.

Quality cover corner that lacks ideal speed and length, but makes up for it with heady play and playing physical when needed. A solid tackler that will usually prevent getting beat deep and make the sure tackle if he gets beat, but he could stand to beef up a little for the NFL.

I would have taken him somewhere between round 3-5 and felt good about it were I picking. I would also be projecting him as either a cover 2 corner or a FS. Of course, as we have all come to discover, the corner's speed only really matter when your team is getting no pressure....which is bad for any corner, anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by pr0d1gy View Post
                      I am a UGA Alum so here is the skinny on Asher Allen.

Quality cover corner that lacks ideal speed and length, but makes up for it with heady play and playing physical when needed. A solid tackler that will usually prevent getting beat deep and make the sure tackle if he gets beat, but he could stand to beef up a little for the NFL.

I would have taken him somewhere between round 3-5 and felt good about it were I picking. I would also be projecting him as either a cover 2 corner or a FS. Of course, as we have all come to discover, the corner's speed only really matter when your team is getting no pressure....which is bad for any corner, anyways.
                      So were the reports that he ran a 4.33 at his pro day exagerated? I noticed that he ran in the 4.6 range at the combine so I did think it was a little strange that he would run a 4.33 at his pro day. Thats a little wide of a spread.

Comment

Originally posted by BGB View Post
                        So were the reports that he ran a 4.33 at his pro day exagerated? I noticed that he ran in the 4.6 range at the combine so I did think it was a little strange that he would run a 4.33 at his pro day. Thats a little wide of a spread.
                        Pro Days mean nothing. Never look at those numbers. They're always ten times better than their Combine numbers. He's a 4.5 type of guy. He fits well in that scheme. Who reported that? Who timed that? How much do you deduct from the fast track and the ten mph wind at his back? The numbers are garbage.

He's not a 4.3 guy. Whatever he did at his Pro Day, doesn't matter. You know 4.3 when you see it, and Asher Allen isn't a 4.3. He would have gone a lot higher if he was.

He is a natural cover corner, but he doesn't have the speed or really the size to play man coverage in the NFL.
                        I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
                        iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
                        Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

The "fast track" and "wind at his back" didn't help moreno at all at UGA's pro-day.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Hero View Post
                            The "fast track" and "wind at his back" didn't help moreno at all at UGA's pro-day.
                            All right. He's 4.3. Go ahead and think that.

Comment

I don't need a stop watch to tell me what I watched for 4 years guys. Quit living for stats.

Oh, and as for our former RB, that is because Moreno isn't that good. I was shocked he went in the first round, because he also lacks the ideal size for the NFL and the kind of breakaway speed that would make a RB his size worth taking so high. It was almost a poor pick for the Eagles, whom everyone said would take him, but became an even worse pick earlier in the round by Denver.

I respect what Moreno did for our school's team, but I'm just telling you if he does well in the NFL it is because his O line is very good. He's like Darren McFadden and Felix Jones without the speed....kinda like Carnell Cadillac Williams.
                              Last edited by pr0d1gy; 04-29-2009, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information